Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

End of an Era -- "Patina", my '93 M900, dead at 265K

Lifer

Re: End of an Era -- "Patina", my '93 M900, dead at 265K

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Thanks, y'all. The divorce was, and is, reasonably amicable. I ended up buying her car afterwards as well (the red Mini Cooper S in the picture). I've had it about a year, first car I've bought for transportation since 1988. Last winter I had a job project in Minneapolis; I got there on the bike in October, and thought maybe a car would be a good idea for a Minnesota winter (that got down to -25F!).

Below is a pic of how I got to Minneapolis on the Duc in October, which also shows why I'm looking at sport-tourers. I'm traveling more these days, and carrying more stuff, and the Monster's limits are being pushed hard. And yeah, whatever I buy, which is probably going to be a 939 SuperSport S, I plan to turn over 250K on in about the year 2040.

I was looking hard at the Motus MST, but they've gone out of business. I've checked out pretty much everything else in the current or recent sport-touring field. The MotoGuzzi Norge or Griso are still longshot possibilities. The KTM 1290GT was very tempting, but I can't find *any* data on KTMs with over 100K miles -- apparently nobody does that. The last two I haven't tested yet that I want to are the Kawasaki H2 SX SE, and the Honda VRF1200.

PhilB
    Attachment 52336
    Wow! How can you see above those tank bags? I think for the kind of miles you do, if you are looking for longevity, get a VFR. If you like the supersport 939, than a 2014-2015 VFR800 should also appeal to you. They look somewhat similar and have similar ergos. The Supersport is more sophisticated and more powerful, but the Honda 800 engine is bulletproof.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Wow! How can you see above those tank bags? I think for the kind of miles you do, if you are looking for longevity, get a VFR. If you like the supersport 939, than a 2014-2015 VFR800 should also appeal to you. They look somewhat similar and have similar ergos. The Supersport is more sophisticated and more powerful, but the Honda 800 engine is bulletproof.
    I can see over the tankbag to ride. It blocks the instrument panel, so I have to lean over and look around it to see the instruments. But on those early Monsters, the only instruments are the speedo, odo, and a few idiot lights.
    =====
    The VFR800 is a fine bike, I've looked at them. Honda makes good stuff. But they're a bit heavy, and I like twins better than fours. That's largely why I have eliminated all the fours I've looked at from consideration.

If I'm going to ride a four cylinder bike. it had better have something really exceptional about it. The Motus MST did; it was really stonking. The Kawasaki H2 SX SE could fall into that category; that's why I want to test one. The VRF1200A doesn't quite fall into that category for the engine, but the DCT could make a difference.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 04-25-20 at 12:06 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

Did the interceptor have Anti-Honda reliability concerns? Regarding the vtec?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Did the interceptor have Anti-Honda reliability concerns? Regarding the vtec?
    I've spoken with a few owners over the years. It sounds like the biggest issue is with the valve clearance check as the VTEC system has certain complications built in. FWIW, none of the 3 had to go in an adjust the valves since everything was still well within spec. One of the owners had somewhere around 50k on his.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I've spoken with a few owners over the years. It sounds like the biggest issue is with the valve clearance check as the VTEC system has certain complications built in. FWIW, none of the 3 had to go in an adjust the valves since everything was still well within spec. One of the owners had somewhere around 50k on his.
    I've had mine for 10 years - bought it on this forum. A 2007 RWB VFR. Did valve check at 16k - was perfect. Don't plan to do at 32k as most owners find it is not needed. Will stretch it out more. These bikes can easily go 100k.
    Found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufW13P2I0nE
    Nice comparison. Sounds like the Ducati is the better sports bike. I caution not to look at the specs - the VFR is more than the sum of the part.

Last edited by dankatz; 04-25-20 at 04:26 PM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345