Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ergonomics questions.

Ergonomics questions.

What better place to ask about sport ergos than a sport riders forum eh?? Anyway, I was wondering if some people wouldn't mind giving me their impressions of the racer type ergonmics and how comfortable they are in diff. situations. Also I'm curious how long highway would be comfortable? How long I could ride around backroads/twisties would be comfortable? How long would light stop and go traffic be tolerable?? General differences in comfort etc from a standard position.

I ask because right now I have a 2002 SV650 and I'm considering moving up to a CBR600RR, and want to have an idea of how long I'll be able to ride the RR. Usually I ride a couple hours a day part highway/backroad to work and then on weekends I do a few hours or day trips. Thx in advance.

-Feirax

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Feirax; 01-16-03 at 08:43 AM.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Ergonomics questions.

I ride a ZX9R and can ride it up to 250 miles on backroads with no comfort issues. Key is to keep the weight off your hands and wrists buy using your abs, back muscles and windblast to hold you up. Rather than concentrate on keeping the weight off, it's easier for me to concentrate on keeping my arms loose and elbows bent. If I get tired, I find myself putting more and more weight on my wrists. A side benefit of keeping your elbows bent is that you will apply more horizontal pressure to the bars for steering and that takes a whole lot less effort than pushing down on them to turn. Another benefit is that the front suspension will work better without the added load of your upper body pressing down on it, especially during braking.

Lifer

Ergonomics questions.

It really depends on your height, weight, and physical condition. Also, do you have any trouble already with the SV?

I'm 6'1", about 180lbs, and I have an SV as well. I can pretty much ride it all day in the twisties or with a group, but that's mostly cause groups stop so much.

If I ride it ALL day alone on a trip, only stopping when I'm running out of gas, etc.. my right knee cramps up. My upper body is fine. I suspect my upper body would be fine on a bike with lower bars too. I just stuck rearsets on it to see if that helps. (I think the problem is holding my foot off the brake lever, not the angle my knee is bent at) If this helps my knee, than I suspect I could ride a bike like the RR just as easily. But then I bet the RR runs out of gas faster too, so more breaks might fix the problem.

Ben

Ergonomics questions.

ben, weren't you thinking about putting some clip-ons that bad-boy, too?

or am i mis-remembering and it's just SVS footpegs you preferred?

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Lifer

Ergonomics questions.

I finally put the rearsets on last weekend. It was easy but rear brake light switch is a PITA. I think I'm going to have to replace it before I get the bike inspected in the spring. There is a flaky connection somewhere.

Yes I would like to get some lower handlebars. No rush to do it right now though, since I can't ride it. I can't tell if the rearsets are going to be better either. I just hurt my right knee skiing a week or so ago and it may make my knee hurt no matter where the pegs are.

Ben

Ergonomics questions.

My bike is a gixxer 1000, reportedly one of the more extreme geometries available.

The only thing I have to watch out for is neck strain. If you lower your front and raise the rear, then cantilever a weight off your head that your neck has to support...

I just bought an HJC AC-10; 1400 grams. one of the lightest snell 2k helmets available.

Other than that, adrenalin cures all.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Lifer

Ergonomics questions.

I really wish someone (magazine) would post a complete archive of the ergos of all the bikes. Peg-to-seat, seat-to-bar distances and angles, etc..

And hopefully some bikes that are reasonably priced will start offering adjustable ergos like the 999.

Ben

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Ergonomics questions.

I think ergos is way to complicated of a subject for a mag. to try and cover. From what I have seen it all depends on the bike,rider,riders weight,style of riding etc...
    What it all boils down to is that you need to try different things until YOU feel comfortable.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Ergonomics questions.

Thanks for the replies. c(:

-Feirax

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Ergonomics questions.

NP mang! Show up at the track this upcomming year and we can give ya a hand doing a quick suspension setup for ya.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Banned

Ergonomics questions.

Hey Ed, I thought that was my job!!!

Degs