Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Erik Buell (ish) brakes for cars

xxaarraa

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Erik Buell (ish) brakes for cars

What do you do when you get a flat tire and need to change to a spare? Do you unbolt the rim from the spokes? What if you've bent the spokes? Gotta undo the caliper from the car or the rotor from the spokes.

A prius only uses the mechanical brakes for 7mph and under. No need for any extra braking power of a larger diameter rotor.

Last edited by golden chicken; 08-27-17 at 02:49 AM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    A prius only uses the mechanical brakes for 7mph and under.
    Is that new? I certainly change pads on them. Seems unlikely they would be wearing out at that rate.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Is that new? I certainly change pads on them. Seems unlikely they would be wearing out at that rate.
    It's not accurate at all. Primary braking, assuming ABS hasn't tripped is done via regen, but the mechanical brakes are involved, a little at speed, more as you slow down, transitioning to full mechanical before you reach a full stop. If you're really hammering, more mechanical to make up for the fact that the regen system can only effectively brake so hard. If ABS/Traction control trips during braking there is a brief moment where neither system is engaged, then it's all mechanical. If you're in Neutral and rolling, when you apply the brakes it's all mechanical, no matter the speed. If your battery is full, you only get mechnical brakes. If the batt is too warm or cold, you only get mechanical brakes.

Now, that said my OEM pads went forever on my HiHy, primary wear was more from rust buildup on the rotors having to be abraded off by the pads than real use. Then, thanks to lack of use the calipers seized in back, and you know how that story ends.

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post

All hybrids and ev's have been like that since they started using them on the road, not 100% sure it's 7mph but I do know almost all the braking comes from regeneration and it works very good too (both at slowing you down and extending range)

Hybrid brakes tend to wear out more from corrosion on the rotors then from normal braking pressure, being used so little the rotors are never worked hard enough to stay "clean" and the small amount of rust acts as sand paper to wear pads out quicker then they should.