Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Non-ethanol gas -- what stations have it?

Re: Non-ethanol gas -- what stations have it?

Yeah, I stopped by GoGo Gas in Colchester today and noticed the 10% ethanol stickers... so I left. Stopped at the Simon's Gas down the street (might be Winooski already by that point, not sure), and they have a big sign in the window proudly proclaiming that their gas is ethanol-free. Their prices are good too. And they're conveniently close to Bike Night.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Oh, cool! I'll go there, I didn't even see that. I also checked today, the CoCo in Mallett's Bay is still non-ethanol. They are automated (no attendant) and the pumps are on 6am-10pm daily.

I rode over the App Gap today and stopped for gas at the Valero at the corner of Rt 17 and Rt 100. There were no ethanol stickers on the pumps, so I went inside and asked the woman running the place if that meant there was no ethanol in the gas. She said no, it only meant that she wasn't required to put stickers on the pumps. She added that ethanol was required by state law, and she agreed that it's causing a lot of problems for vehicles of all kinds.

I'm curious now about this supposed state law, and how Simon's and CoCo can get away with not only selling non-ethanol gas, but putting up big signs announcing the fact. Hopefully whatever loophole is allowing them to do it won't be closed anytime soon.

--mark

Edit: I just spent a while online looking over Vermont statutes. I discovered that MTBE is illegal here, but there's no mention of ethanol anywhere.

Last edited by markbvt; 09-01-08 at 05:37 PM.

I'd be curious to see what you find out. I hope they can have non-ethanol fuel indefinitely, the ethanol was really messing up my bike.

Yeah, I had to help a friend clean gelatinous goo out of his carbs on Saturday because he'd left the bike sitting a little too long without riding it. Real gas wouldn't have broken down that fast. Nasty.

I started up my Triumph this morning for the first time with real gas since they started using ethanol everywhere. No improvement in cold starts just yet -- but I imagine I'll need to run a couple tanks of real gas through to help flush out all the remaining ethanol and whatever crap might have accumulated in the carbs. Might try some Seafoam in the gas to help accelerate the process.

--mark

Oh, also -- I was having a conversation with Lester over at Frank's Motorcycle Sales on Friday evening; he confirmed that he's seeing a lot of problems caused by ethanol, and mentioned that the way ethanol is mixed into the gasoline is not exactly scientific. Basically, it's not much better than if they eyeballed it, and even though the stickers say max 10% ethanol, in reality it can be as much as 20%.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Oh, also -- I was having a conversation with Lester over at Frank's Motorcycle Sales on Friday evening; he confirmed that he's seeing a lot of problems caused by ethanol, and mentioned that the way ethanol is mixed into the gasoline is not exactly scientific. Basically, it's not much better than if they eyeballed it, and even though the stickers say max 10% ethanol, in reality it can be as much as 20%.

--mark
    If I see you tonight at Bike night I will tell you a story about a ZX600 I worked on this weekend.. It was unreal!!

I'll be there tonight, and I'll counter with the story of the mess in my buddy's carbs.

--mark

Aviation gas

May be boat gas as well

EPA was here
    10% higher cost
    15% lower mileage

Your NEw England State Governments forcing you to buy
    gas designed for the LA Basin

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    Aviation gas

May be boat gas as well

EPA was here
    10% higher cost
    15% lower mileage

Your NEw England State Governments forcing you to buy
    gas designed for the LA Basin
    IDK if the marina has ethanol or not but who can pay that!! Woof!! Average $0.75-$1.00 more per gallon..
    I bought CS 110 octane at $10.50 per gallon.. No eth though

In New Hampshire, use of RFG (Reformulated Gasoline, which today means E10which replaced MtBE in 2007) is required by the EPA in the four southeastern counties of Merrimack, Hillsborough, Rockingham and Strafford counties, the rest of the state can burn conventional gasoline. Supply being what it is; much of the rest of the state also burns RFG, however I know of several gas station owners that insist upon buying conventional gasoline. This info maybe dated and I find it increasingly difficult to find conventions gas.

I think this is my first post on this site

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_man View Post
    In New Hampshire, use of RFG (Reformulated Gasoline, which today means E10which replaced MtBE in 2007) is required by the EPA in the four southeastern counties of Merrimack, Hillsborough, Rockingham and Strafford counties, the rest of the state can burn conventional gasoline. Supply being what it is; much of the rest of the state also burns RFG, however I know of several gas station owners that insist upon buying conventional gasoline. This info maybe dated and I find it increasingly difficult to find conventions gas.
    Cool, if you know of specific stations that have it, post them here and I'll add them to my list in the first post.

I think this is my first post on this site
    Welcome to NESR!

--mark

There is a site vt gas prices and it lists all the prices around. I requested that they start listing ethanol free stations. We will see??

I put in the same request.

Don't start reading the ethanol section of their forum. It'll piss you off.

--mark

I rode by Simon's tonight, and they now have ethanol in their gas.

Dammit.

--mark

I put in the same request.

Don't start reading the ethanol section of their forum. It'll piss you off.

--mark
    Ya I got a reply " Thanks for your suggestion"
    That was it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    Knock it off.
    Sorry...I was Just "Marking"....

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicknStripEatr View Post
    All gas stations get their gas from the same distribution terminals. Meaning, all gas arrives in port on a ship, not a Shell ship, or a Sunoco ship, just a ship. The terminal then distributes the gas to wholesalers i.e., the trucking companies that deliver the gas to retail locations. The reason why gas prices are higher for certain brands is due to the amount of profit the wholesale distributors choose to make for that particular brand. That is the ONLY difference in the fuel. The chemical compounds are the same regardless. I believe Ethanol gas is federal mandate, just because a station doesn't advertise that they sell Ethanol, doesn't mean they don't.
    really?! then explain why one brand of fuel runs so different from another through my car or bike?
    (sarcasm.. they are not all the same.)

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Found a station in Milton that has non-ethanol gas. It's the Rene's Gas on Rt 7.

--mark

Yeah, I had to help a friend clean gelatinous goo out of his carbs on Saturday because he'd left the bike sitting a little too long without riding it. Real gas wouldn't have broken down that fast. Nasty.

I started up my Triumph this morning for the first time with real gas since they started using ethanol everywhere. No improvement in cold starts just yet -- but I imagine I'll need to run a couple tanks of real gas through to help flush out all the remaining ethanol and whatever crap might have accumulated in the carbs. Might try some Seafoam in the gas to help accelerate the process.

--mark
    My 70 Bonneville has developed hesitation and fuel is backing out of the ticklers. Heard anything relative?

Tom

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicknStripEatr View Post
    All gas stations get their gas from the same distribution terminals. Meaning, all gas arrives in port on a ship, not a Shell ship, or a Sunoco ship, just a ship. The terminal then distributes the gas to wholesalers i.e., the trucking companies that deliver the gas to retail locations. The reason why gas prices are higher for certain brands is due to the amount of profit the wholesale distributors choose to make for that particular brand. That is the ONLY difference in the fuel. The chemical compounds are the same regardless. I believe Ethanol gas is federal mandate, just because a station doesn't advertise that they sell Ethanol, doesn't mean they don't.
    Sorry, Chicken, yer wrong. I know I'm a newb and I should keep my fuggin yapp shut, but at least get it a little right, will ya? I ain't doggin ya, but ya don't know everything about this stuff, obviously. The U.S.A. is divided into dozens of different distribution segments, or zones, as regards pipeline distribution of finished end product. That product could be unleaded gasoline, home-heating fuels, diesel, fuel, or JP4/5 for aviation, it could be 120-Octane gasoline for marine/AVGAS applications. On a given run, they could ship 500,000 barrels of diesel, the next run ship 5 million barrels of straight unleaded gasoline, and the next run 10 million barrels of JP-4/5. The different grades are separated by a ball that follows the load all the way up from the Gulf Coust refineries. The ball separates the various grades as they move their way up the pipeline. That ball is called a pig. The product that "mixes" on the way is called slops. They use that stuff, too.

But for any given product that travels over the Intercontinental-Pipeline network, it's all basic commodity. The differences in branding are determined AT THE LOCAL terminal. That defines additives against Octane-Rating, detergents, ethanol-per-local spec/regulation, and of course, in terms of heavy lubes and motor oils in GroupIII or higher, synthetic quality.

It doesnt matter what travels up the pipeline, it's what's delivered at the terminal. When your product travels over pipelines, as the phone company likes to say, the "Last Mile" is what counts..

Last edited by toocrazy2yoo; 06-14-09 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    My 70 Bonneville has developed hesitation and fuel is backing out of the ticklers. Heard anything relative?
    Have you checked your float levels? Sounds like they may be too high.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Dawg View Post
    I'm wondering in the ethenol is what is causeing my gas tank to pressurize and spill out of the gas cap
    Is there any truth to this statment? I have a Honda Civic and i noticed about a year and a half ago that when i fill the tank to the top after it sits for a few i have a small amount of gas under my car that seems to be comming out of an overflow. after i drive about 50 miles (about a gallon and a half) the smell goes away and no more gas comes out.

it first happened on a really hot day and i though i filled it too much and the gas expanded, but since it has happen on some days that where not hot i have been baffeled about it.

does ethanol cause the gas to expand more?

any chemical engineers on here?

First post updated with more non-ethanol stations.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Beaudry's in Huntington is another one to add (they just have "regular" grade though). The last gas station before the Crown Point Bridge (the one just north of the marina) has all 3 grades non-ethanol.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast