Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Euro Switchgear swaps

Euro Switchgear swaps

So I've been toying with the idea of replacing the stock switchgear on my 2003 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s, with switchgear from a European model.

Why?

Because I don't think I sink enough money into my bike as it is and there are a couple of benefits. For one Euro switchgear has an "off" setting for the headlight. I don't know why one would need this, but it's nice to have. Euro switches also have (at least is the case with this model) those little trigger-style turn signal switches that say "pass" on them. Which are ideal for me since I seem to pass alot of yahoo cagers (when it is safe to do so, of course) when I ride. Not to mention a switch for four-way flashers.

Anyone else experiment with Euro switchgear? I've been told these are a direct plug-and-play application.

Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Rossco; 01-23-13 at 03:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Euro Switchgear swaps

The headlights for many non-US model cars and bikes have a setting for city use. The city setting turns on small white headlights that aren't meant to illuminate the road and are used just to make the vehicle noticeable. The idea being that in a city, the street lights are more than adequate for illumination and full power headlights are more of a liability than an asset due to the possibility of dazzling oncoming drivers. My 9R has a city light, but no switch for it.

I'd start out by comparing the wiring diagram for your bike compared the the euro model. If all the wires leading to the switch housing are the same then it will probably just be a simple matter of plugging in. However you may very well be up for at least repinning the stock connector, if not having to change the connector housing.
    I swapped out the starter switch housing on my 95 for a 99 unit, had to to run the 46 throttle housing. It was the exact same plug but the pin order was totally defferent. It was easy enough. Just some quality time comparing the two wire diagrams, followed by 30 seconds of silent prayer, and all was well.

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Euro switches also have (at least is the case with this model) those little trigger-style turn signal switches that say "pass" on them. Which are ideal for me since I seem to pass alot of yahoo cagers (when it is safe to do so, of course) when I ride.
    I might be wrong (it does happen quite frequently) but I thought the "Pass" switches on the Euro bikes were to flash the high beam light and not for directional usage. A thorough checking of the wiring diagram on a euro spec bike would answer that definitively.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I might be wrong (it does happen quite frequently) but I thought the "Pass" switches on the Euro bikes were to flash the high beam light and not for directional usage. A thorough checking of the wiring diagram on a euro spec bike would answer that definitively.

Joel
    same here - the pass momentary switch on my bmw flashes the high beam.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

I thought it sprayed the nitrous.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post

Joel
    Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post
    same here - the pass momentary switch on my bmw flashes the high beam.
    Wow do I feel stupid.

I just always assumed that they were a shortcut of the turn signal switch to make passing easier.

Thanks for the heads-up guys! I might still keep an eye out for a cheap set on ebay since the still do come with the switch for 4-way flashers, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Drink!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

my SV1Ks and my KTM both had/have a pass light. they just flash the high beams. the problem is that i ride with my high beams on during the day so i have to go to low beam and then flash the lights. i really feel that the switch should work with the high beams on too

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I know it's doable on the later R1's (04-13). The euro switchgear is a direct plug into the US wiring harness.

Lifer

Honestly, I'd save the cash for that bike upgrade you've mentioned you were after.

The V-Strom has a FTP switch.

Either that, or pour the money into suspension goodies. Suspension goodies are really good fun.