Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

exhaust concern

exhaust concern

ok, so my friend got ticketed the other day for after market exhaust. problem is, he doesnt have a slip on, but the full exhaust system. and i have a stock exhaust, so we figured we can just switch them out (same bikes)

so my concern in doing this is the exhaust gasket on the headers, is it ok to just take off the headers and swap to the bikes? or should i worry about replacing that gasket?

p.s.
    although he has the complete aftermarket exhaust system, if i was able just to switch the exhaust mufflers would that pass inspection?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JonT; 05-04-10 at 05:52 PM.

Re: exhaust concern

In RI? That exhaust must be stupid loud, because I have a full Graves system on my R1 and ive never been questioned. Even the times ive been pulled over on it, they never said a word. Is this a new RI thing we all have to watch out for?

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    In RI? That exhaust must be stupid loud, because I have a full Graves system on my R1 and ive never been questioned. Even the times ive been pulled over on it, they never said a word. Is this a new RI thing we all have to watch out for?
    i dont know, he got the ticket in Narragansett. And then went to Razees to get it inspected and they wont even touch it with the pipe on it. than we also have to change his undertail lights, flushmount signals, and move his plate from the side of the swing arm to some where else.

so should i be worried about that gasket? i dont want any leaks, on his bike or mine (mostly concerned about mine )

Last edited by JonT; 05-04-10 at 09:11 PM.

I know every Yamaha exhaust I have ever taken off has a re-usable mesh type gasket, not sure what suzuki uses?
    You could just have your buddy buy new gaskets for you if you're worried about it

Yamaha

Point #1 - It will be a lot easier long run if you just move the plate back to where it belongs and is visible. Cops hate it if you don't do it right, and no body is going to want to inspect it that way.

Point #2 - It's probably easier to find a shop that will inspect it with the exhaust and undertail than to switch everything around. There are plenty, but I'm not saying I know anybody that would do such a thing.

Point #3 - Narragansett cops don't seem to love sport bikes, and usually crack down when the weather starts getting better, but if you try you can stay below the radar.

You can't switch just the muffler...not without a machine shop at least.

There are 5 gaskets on your stock system, head pipes(4) and between the collector and the muffler. I am not sure if there would be on your buddies full system though, between head pipes and head. If there are gaskets there, I have no idea if they would be OEM gaskets or if the manufacturer included new gaskets with the exhaust...might want to call the manufacturer and ask as they might be specific to that set up. I however doubt his system has a gasket between the collector and the muffler.

Click if you want to see the fiche for your bike. You can take it apart and not wreck the gasket just as easily as you can take it apart and wreck it. New gaskets look to cost around $30.

Also if you look at the fiche, you'll see your bike would take a "bolt-on" can...it doesn't look as if you could get a slip-on for it...header / collector are all one piece.

Last edited by Slyder; 05-04-10 at 10:04 PM.

Also note, if you're just swapping the exhaust to get a sticker then swapping back... that's it's own fine and violation.

I swap my can every year...haven't been caught yet

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.....

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Instinct: Mozilla/4.1 (U; BREW 3.1.5; en-US; Teleca/Q05A/INT))

Does RI have DB law?
    a shop cant deny an inspection just by the exhaust unless its over the db limit which means they need a db meter.
    if you make everything else legal and a shop still wont even inspect it for the pipe and the pipe is legal you can call the state to report the shop. you could always try a H-D shop...

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports