Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Exhausts (Slip On Vs. Full System)

I had 2 questions about the different exhausts.

1) Is there a major difference in performance between the two or are they pretty close?

2) Are aftermarket headers lighter them OEM headers, if so by how much?

Application info:
    Bike: 1999 CBR 600 F4
    Exhaust: Yoshimura RS3 Oval Stainless Steel Full System

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Depends which aftermarket exhaust you get.

A full system will buy you more horsepower, especially if it is tuned in correctly using a power commander (or rejetting if it is carburetted, which your F4 is)

Aftermarket headers will last longer looking nice if they are stainless steel, but won't weigh much less that stockers. Aftermarket titanium headers will save you about 8lb-10lb I think.

derek

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

sometimes aftermarket headers are slightly larger and the bends are usually better for more flow

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I just picked up a used full titanium akrapovic system for my '01 gsxr 600. The weight difference is huge compared to my stock headers and two brothers can. I have not weighed each one but the old setup felt like more than 15lbs to me. How that translates into more speed/ power on the bike I'm not sure. It doesn't seem all that more powerful but I do have a Power commander and I need to update the map to reflect the new setup. Also I installed the system over the winter so it's been a while since I rode the bike with the old pipes. I'll tell you this much...it sounds awesome!

mmmmm

I looked into this back when I was choosing a slip-on. Out of everyone I spoke too, this it what i got. A slipon- by itself usually almost Never needs a re-map and adds nothing to your bike except a cool sound and at the VeRY most 1 ta 2 horsepower if that. A full SYSTEM however is a different story. If your getting a full system (headers/pipe) you need a powercamander to remap. As far as performance enhancement, I was told by 3 or 4 different companies that you can gain anywhere between 4 and 7 horsepower with a full system. If ANyone here has More info/accurate info, please chime in on this one. hope that helps

Re: mmmmm

Originally posted by FireFly
    I looked into this back when I was choosing a slip-on. Out of everyone I spoke too, this it what i got. A slipon- by itself usually almost Never needs a re-map and adds nothing to your bike except a cool sound and at the VeRY most 1 ta 2 horsepower if that. A full SYSTEM however is a different story. If your getting a full system (headers/pipe) you need a powercamander to remap. As far as performance enhancement, I was told by 3 or 4 different companies that you can gain anywhere between 4 and 7 horsepower with a full system. If ANyone here has More info/accurate info, please chime in on this one. hope that helps
    Yes and no. While a good full system should produce more HP over a good S/O system with a proper map a good S/O system will make more power then a cheepo full system. Im running Sato Banzai mounts on my rc51. They are a S/O system and they get close to 9 extra hp over the stock system.

I think the main advantages youll see in a full system over the S/O system is the weight savings. A nice system is usually made out of a more exotic metal like titanium. Id imagine the weight you save is dependant on your bike and the system you buy.

Obviously to get the full potential out of any system you will need a power commander or soemthing like it with a good map. If youre lucky you have bought a popular system for your bike and a good map is avalible for you to download. If youre not lucky you get to find someone that knows what they are doing with the dyno and the PC and you get to spend hours and hours making yourself a custom map.

A thing to remember when buying an exhuast system for you bike. You typically get what you pay for.

James

Re: Exhausts (Slip On Vs. Full System)

Originally posted by BadBoyBilly
    I had 2 questions about the different exhausts.

1) Is there a major difference in performance between the two or are they pretty close?

2) Are aftermarket headers lighter them OEM headers, if so by how much?

Application info:
    Bike: 1999 CBR 600 F4
    Exhaust: Yoshimura RS3 Oval Stainless Steel Full System

Thanks!
    What everyone says is true. But I think your answer lies in your caption... that a gixxer may be coming next year. If that were the case I would not be dumping $2-3 hundred on a Power commander and certainly not for a pipe that can run between $400-$1200 typically (in particular on an 7 year old F4). Big outlay to only have a bike for a year. Especially when you never get the money back that you put in.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

On top of all that, another thing to consider is some bikes simply respond better to a full system then others. Some bikes barely gain any while others can increase by 15 or more.

Lots of times you may not see a big increase in power... Maybe just a horsepower or two but your power curve will be relatively flat from peak all the way to redline instead of dropping off like most stock bikes do. Your ass dyno (so long as it is calibrated) should notice the increase of power near redline. If you are a dragracer, your ET's should drop a little too.