Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MA Inspection rules

MA Inspection rules

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr400.pdf

That's the current inspection rules. Based on that:

1. Your rear brake does not need to activate your brake light as long as the front does.

Stop lamps shall be activated with the application of front or rear
    brakes.

2. Flush mount front blinkers are fine due to them being 16 inches apart.

Front turn signal lamps shall be amber mounted at or near the front of the motorcycle on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and shall have a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between turn signal lamp and head lamp shall be four inches.

What say you? Anyone have any problems?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Re: MA Inspection rules

I can see how 1 can be read as 'if I apply front or rear brake, the light had better come on.' Item 2 they'll still nail you for the flushies not being DOT certified (none I've come across are anyways.)

High maintenance priss

On # 1 - The way the law is written means that if either brake is appiled (front or rear), your brake light must light up. So in effect both brake levers must be able to independently light up the brake light.

I agree on #2 as far as not disallowing flush mount signals just due to the fact that they are flush mount. Obviously they would be rejected for the DOT reason Kurlon mentioned tho.

Yeah...both front and rear brakes are tested independently....they both gotta work.

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.....

I'm not worried about the brake light issue, mine work, I just happened to read that.

Is there a requirement for all lights to be DOT certified?

-Alex

I know you can get passed at cetain places. That doesn't really answer my question. My question is where is the requirement for all lights to be DOT approved.

-Alex

I believe it's a Federal level requirement, hence not specifically mentioned in state level inspection handbooks. I'll see if I can dig up my copy of Maine's rules to find it as they do specifically mention DOT lighting.

That's what I was thinking.

-Alex

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.508 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Yes. There are dot standards for quality of lights (electrical connections, resistance to corrosion, vibration etc)

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    I know you can get passed at cetain places. That doesn't really answer my question. My question is where is the requirement for all lights to be DOT approved.
    they must be SAE approved. 540 CMR 4.06 (11) covers motorcycle-specific lighting/reflector requirements.

the relevant part to your question is as follows:
    All lenses on stop lamps, tail lamps, turn signal lamps and reflectors must be approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and as evidence of such of approval indicate the symbol "SAE" on the lens.

(11) Lighting Devices and Reflectors.

(a) In general. All lighting devices and reflectors required by applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards when the particular motorcycle was originally manufactured and such devices required by Massachusetts General Law or Rules and Regulations applicable to the particular motorcycle inspected shall be securely attached to the vehicle and capable of performing their design functions. Lenses must be intact, clean, unobstructed and free from cracks. All lenses on stop lamps, tail lamps, turn signal lamps and reflectors must be approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and as evidence of such of approval indicate the symbol "SAE" on the lens. All replacement lighting devices and reflectors shall meet applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard's at the time they were installed. No additional lamp, reflective device or other motor vehicle equipment shall be installed that impairs the effectiveness of lighting equipment required under these regulations. Two or more lamps, reflectors or items of associated equipment may be combined if the requirements for each lamp, reflector or item of associated equipment are met.

(b) Headlamps. Each motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two white headlamps whose beam shall be checked in accordance with the specifications provided by the Registrar. The motorcycle headlamp shall be mounted on the front of the motorcycle on the vertical centerline, except that if two headlamps are used, they shall be symmetrically distant from the vertical centerline and equal in height. The height of the headlamps measured from the road surface to the center of the lamp shall be not less than 22 inches nor more than 54 inches. Headlamps on motorcycles manufactured in the year 1986 or later shall throw sufficient light ahead to make clearly visible all vehicles, persons or substantial objects upon the roadway within a distance of 350 feet on a straight highway of uniform grade under normal atmospheric conditions. Headlamps on motorcycles manufactured before 1986 shall throw sufficient light ahead to make clearly visible all vehicles, persons or substantial objects upon the roadway within a distance of 115 feet under the same conditions.

(c) Tail lamps and stop lamps. Each motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one red tail light and at least one red stop lamp. The motorcycle tail lamp and stop lamp shall be mounted on the rear of the motorcycle on the vertical centerline, except that if two are used, they shall be symmetrically distant from the vertical centerline and of equal height. The height of the tail lamps and stop lamps measured from the road surface to the center of the lamp shall be not less than 15 inches nor more than 72 inches. Stop lamps shall be activated with the application of front or rear brakes. Tail lamps shall be activated when the headlamps are activated. Tail lamps and stop lamps shall be visible under normal night time conditions at a distance of 500 feet and stop lamps shall be visible in normal sunlight at a distance of 200 feet.

(d) Plate light. Each motorcycle shall be equipped with a white light so arranged as to illuminate the rear number plate so that it is plainly visible at a distance of 60 feet. Such light shall not emit a tailing glare.

(e) Reflectors. Each motorcycle shall have at least one rear red reflector mounted on the vertical center line except that, if two are used, they shall be symmetrically distant from the vertical center line and of equal height. The reflector height above the road surface measured to the center of the reflector shall not be less than 15 inches, nor more than 60 inches. Note: reflector(s) may be combined with other rear lamps. Motorcycles manufactured on or after January 1, 1968 shall be equipped with two red side reflectors mounted on each side at or near the rear of the motorcycle and shall be equipped with two amber side reflectors mounted on each side at or near the front of the motorcycle. The side reflector height above the road surface measured to the center of the reflector shall not be less than 15 inches, nor more than 60 inches.

(f) Turn signals. Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signal lamps. Front turn signal lamps shall be amber mounted at or near the front of the motorcycle on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and shall have a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between turn signal lamp and head lamp shall be four inches. Rear turn signals shall be red or amber mounted on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of nine inches. All turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height from the road surface of not less than 15 inches nor more than 83 inches. Turn signal lamps shall flash at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute. The turn signal lamp activating control shall be positioned so as to be operated without removing the hand from the handlebar and shall properly indicate right and left when so switched. Turn signal lamps shall be visible at a distance of 200 feet under normal daylight conditions. Every motorcycle shall be equipped with a device to permit the front and rear directional signals to flash simultaneously if originally equipped by the manufacturer.

(g) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps. These lamps are not required, however, if so equipped shall be aimed in accordance with specifications provided by the Registrar. Reject motorcycle if:

1. Auxiliary equipment is placed in front of or obstructs any required lamp or reflector.

2. Fog lamps operate with high beam of headlamp.

3. Auxiliary driving lamps operate with low beam of headlamp or alone.

4. Equipped with more than two fog lamps or more than two auxiliary driving lamps.

5. Auxiliary driving lamps or fog lamps are not mounted at a height above the road surface between 12 inches and 42 inches.

Last edited by drop; 05-06-10 at 12:13 PM.
    - Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Got my inspection sticker last week. Didn't even inspect the bike. Got to love Harley shops!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post
    they must be SAE approved. 540 CMR 4.06 (11) covers motorcycle-specific lighting/reflector requirements.

the relevant part to your question is as follows:
    All lenses on stop lamps, tail lamps, turn signal lamps and reflectors must be approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and as evidence of such of approval indicate the symbol "SAE" on the lens.
    Ah, I missed it. Thanks. I have more cop hair than you.

-Alex

SAE and or DOT written on the light lenz and 8" between directionals or ur bummin

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Got my inspection sticker last week. Didn't even inspect the bike. Got to love Harley shops!!!
    Billy, PM me the shop will ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    SAE and or DOT written on the light lenz and 8" between directionals or ur bummin
    16 for the front and they must be 4 away from the headlight.

-Alex

16 for the front and they must be 4 away from the headlight.
    Front isn't and issue at 16----but it was the rear I ws talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Front isn't and issue at 16----but it was the rear I ws talking about...
    You confuse me.

-Alex

You confuse me.
    and my self too................

8" from Directional to Directional in the back Min.....is what i was told to pass

and I got a ticket for having no SAE on the light.......

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Just tell them it is a custom chopper. Anyone seen one of those meet any DOT criteria? Some of those don't even have a front brake.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

What State rules- I got no reflector on sides of bike front & rear.
    Did not start bike to hear pipe with no baffle in can - Laser
    Did take my $,looked at rear tire,checked front brake - for brake light, & rear directionals did not check rear brake.
    Been going to same dealer since 1995.

Two things help getting older - BMW'S and Metamucil

i am going to wait to install my integrated tail i would be pissed if i put it in and had to take it off

2006 Red Triumph Daytona 675

I have a clear alternatives integrated taillight, i know it's not nearly wide enough center to center for the blinkers, but anyone know if it's sae certified? and then theres my exhaust...

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    I have a clear alternatives integrated taillight, i know it's not nearly wide enough center to center for the blinkers, but anyone know if it's sae certified?
    I'd be floored if it was.

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    I have a clear alternatives integrated taillight, i know it's not nearly wide enough center to center for the blinkers, but anyone know if it's sae certified? and then theres my exhaust...
    look for "SAE" stamped/engraved on the lens. attached is a chart of what each SAE lens code means, though it's unlikely you'll run into a MA motorcycle inspection station that will know anything about them.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    can you pm me where?

also what do you have done to your bike?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast