Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone have experience with the KTM RC8-R?

Anyone have experience with the KTM RC8-R?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Anyone have experience with the KTM RC8-R?

Aren’t you tall? I’ve always loved them but they look like a torture rack

I have four friends who had them. One wants to get one again, used of course. Two burned oil but ktm took care of it. I believe clip ons and seat had a couple levels of adjustment. Totally analog kind of bike with linear power delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Aren’t you tall? I’ve always loved them but they look like a torture rack
    Yeah, Im pretty fucking tall @ 6'5", that's one of the reasons I love my RC51 so much, is that it fits me. The handlebars are far from the seat because of the V-twin, I figured other V-twins are similar.

I rode a 2008 CBR1000r and it was a joke, I couldn't really fit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    I have four friends who had them. One wants to get one again, used of course. Two burned oil but ktm took care of it. I believe clip ons and seat had a couple levels of adjustment. Totally analog kind of bike with linear power delivery.
    Analog doesn't sound that fun. My RC has a lot of character, bad character, but its character.

These have a lot of character. It's like the successor to the RC51 from another brand if that's possible. I understand they are very roomy and very adjustable.

Paul_E_D

I have two track rc8s, and used to have one for the street.

That link is bullshit. It's not an akropvic, and the wheels aren't forged. For 9k, you could find one with less miles.

EDIT. WRONG. The link isn't bullshit, I don't know how too read so good no more.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by burnham; 07-17-18 at 05:41 PM.

I have found them to be pretty reliable and reasonable to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Yeah, Im pretty fucking tall @ 6'5", that's one of the reasons I love my RC51 so much, is that it fits me. The handlebars are far from the seat because of the V-twin, I figured other V-twins are similar.

I rode a 2008 CBR1000r and it was a joke, I couldn't really fit on it.
    Honda really hasn't changed the CBR since then either...

Still gutless.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    I have two track rc8s, and used to have one for the street.

That link is bullshit. It's not an akropvic, and the wheels aren't forged. For 9k, you could find one with less miles.
    How can you tell? The akrapovic after market exhaust looks similar to the stock. Also, the R model did have the forged wheel and a few other juicy bites, though I don't remember which year specifically. I agree - for $9k that's too much $$$. Probably worth somewhere around $7.5-8k. I have ridden one on a long test ride. It was awesome. Nice smooth twin engine with enough character. The ergonomics are VERY adjustable. I am short and it was a reach for me, but the clip-ons had as much adjust-ability as aftermarket heli bars. I think it is one of the sports bikes that would fit a taller person. Reliability likely to be like any other KTM which is likely good very proper maintenance. I do think it is the spiritual successor to the RC51 and the TL1000R. Definitely more comfortable than the current crops of super sports.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

They're pretty comfortable for a sport bike. I had an '04 RSVR, and the KTM is a little lighter, has more power, and is way more comfortable. Prior to that I had an '02 RC51. Moving from that bike to the RSVR was a huge improvement to me, so I think The RC8 is just in another league. The clip-ons have a spacer that lowers them about 15mm below the triple. You can remove it to raise the bars. The sub-frame also has two sets of mounting holes, which allows the seat to be raised, I forget by what amount. The rearsets have the same thing going on.

The bikes don't throw much heat out. I think the location of the muffler helps. Mine have been reliable. The '11 street bike never needed anything, but I only put a few thousand miles on it so that maybe isn't saying a whole lot. I haven't heard any horror stories from people. The track bikes are 12's. The only issues I've had with those are a weeping fork seal, and a water pump seal failing. The water pump seal might have been my fault because it happened when I was changing the bike over from water to antifreeze at the end of the season. Bleeding them is a doosh and I think I got it wrong that time.

They crash well. Not that you're looking to go out and crash the shit out of anything, but if you do it isn't so bad. Again having the exhaust under the bike seems to help. I haven't had much trouble finding parts.

My track bikes have a full exhaust, +1 rear sprocket, and a quick shifter. That really wakes the bike up, and if I had another one on the street I'd want it set up like that. In stock form they have pretty linear power, the exhaust helps give it a little more on top. My track bikes also came with a Suter slipper clutch. In 2013 KTM started putting that slipper in the street RC8 as well. You want a slipper, the bikes have a ton of engine braking and I would regularly drill my nuts into the tank on the street bike.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    How can you tell? The akrapovic after market exhaust looks similar to the stock. Also, the R model did have the forged wheel and a few other juicy bites, though I don't remember which year specifically. I agree - for $9k that's too much $$$. Probably worth somewhere around $7.5-8k. I have ridden one on a long test ride. It was awesome. Nice smooth twin engine with enough character. The ergonomics are VERY adjustable. I am short and it was a reach for me, but the clip-ons had as much adjust-ability as aftermarket heli bars. I think it is one of the sports bikes that would fit a taller person. Reliability likely to be like any other KTM which is likely good very proper maintenance. I do think it is the spiritual successor to the RC51 and the TL1000R. Definitely more comfortable than the current crops of super sports.
    You're right. I read the link quickly and thought it said Akropovic edition bike, not just exhaust. That looks to be an aftermarket exhaust. I initially read this on the phone screen and probably should have waited prior to saying anything.

I'm pretty sure up until 2010, the R model got forged wheels and the black DLC coating on the forks. After that the R model was the low end of the spectrum. It came with cast Marchesini wheels. I think a lot of people saw the sticker on the wheels and assumed they were forged. Those wheels look exactly like the cast wheels that came on my '11 RC8. If it's a clean bike and I'm wrong about the wheels, I'd say it was worth $8k.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Analog doesn't sound that fun. My RC has a lot of character, bad character, but its character.
    Nah analog like no abs, traction control or ride by wire. Really fun bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    These have a lot of character. It's like the successor to the RC51 from another brand if that's possible. I understand they are very roomy and very adjustable.
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Nah analog like no abs, traction control or ride by wire. Really fun bike.
    Anyone have experience with the KTM RC8-R?-gvz6vcg-gif

Lifer

I thought those had the wheelie control.

I remember sitting outside the hangout in the middle of Shady Valley, TN on the side of 421. Guy-who smacked of essence of squidhood from afar-had an RC8 and rolled out of there, up to the stop, then cracked a wheelie and held a perfect ~30-degree angle for what seemed like a mile. ... I guess he was just good.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    You're right. I read the link quickly and thought it said Akropovic edition bike, not just exhaust. That looks to be an aftermarket exhaust. I initially read this on the phone screen and probably should have waited prior to saying anything.

I'm pretty sure up until 2010, the R model got forged wheels and the black DLC coating on the forks. After that the R model was the low end of the spectrum. It came with cast Marchesini wheels. I think a lot of people saw the sticker on the wheels and assumed they were forged. Those wheels look exactly like the cast wheels that came on my '11 RC8. If it's a clean bike and I'm wrong about the wheels, I'd say it was worth $8k.
    What do you think a 2003 RC51 with 33k miles, M4 highmount pipes, speedo healer, -1+3 gearing, 520 chain, new tires, fuel commander, sato rearsets, K&N filters, flapper mod, soft rev mod, cg levers, and shitty plastics worth?

edit: quick clist search shows prices are borderline retarded

Last edited by xrocket21; 07-18-18 at 01:50 PM.

IDK. Maybe $3300ish

I think it way 2011 or 2012 when they all became the rc8r like the bike for sale. Price came way down, no more of that molded in color plastic type body work. Second year of production they added a slipper clutch.

Friend of mine just bought one. Again. White one this time. Hardly used at 2,100 miles. Going to make it a track bike.

Last edited by backinthesaddle; 08-18-18 at 09:52 PM.

Id like to try one.