Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

expired/outdated helmets

expired/outdated helmets

my track helmet is dated 06/06, so I'm picking up a new one this winter.

would you guys wear one past the 5 year date on the street? i was planning on using it for passengers.

it's an Arai RX-7 if that matters.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

Re: expired/outdated helmets

I thought about it once when I had to get my helmet tech'ed when I was at the drag strip for my car. My helmet was indeed old, but held the correct snell certification.

I sure as heck would wear it, because I wouldn't think that the helmet took that much abuse.

I'm sure someone might know more about the manufacturing process... but I'd also hope that the foam and plastic shell would not deteriorate over time unless it did get an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    I thought about it once when I had to get my helmet tech'ed when I was at the drag strip for my car. My helmet was indeed old, but held the correct snell certification.

I sure as heck would wear it, because I wouldn't think that the helmet took that much abuse.

I'm sure someone might know more about the manufacturing process... but I'd also hope that the foam and plastic shell would not deteriorate over time unless it did get an impact.
    Problem with the drag strip rules are they are only looking for the certification not any kind of date.

everything deteriorates over time. sweating into the lining and anything that might have been in your hair can help contribute to the foam breaking down.

I'd probably just retire it but I don't separate my helmets for street and track. they can both be used for either so they're both within 5 years of manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I'd probably just retire it but I don't separate my helmets for street and track. they can both be used for either so they're both within 5 years of manufacture.
    i separate my street & track gear, so I was thinking of recycling the track helmet for passengers. my street helmet still has a few years left.

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Shots View Post
    i separate my street & track gear, so I was thinking of recycling the track helmet for passengers. my street helmet still has a few years left.
    you wear an expensive helmet, get the most use out of it regardless of where you're riding.

my track helmet is dated 06/06, so I'm picking up a new one this winter.

would you guys wear one past the 5 year date on the street? i was planning on using it for passengers.

it's an Arai RX-7 if that matters.
    Impact is what kills a helmet. The styrofoam is designed to crush to obsorb impact. It does not bounce back. The soft padding is mainly for fit and comfort rather than protection from impact.

Styrofoam lasts for hundreds of years. Fiberglass does not break down if treated properly. My Shoei RF-900 is 10 years old and is in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrais View Post
    Styrofoam lasts for hundreds of years. Fiberglass does not break down if treated properly. My Shoei RF-900 is 10 years old and is in great shape.

Yeah, it'd be fine for a random shank every now and again. I think you already knew the answer to this question though...putting it on and taking it off thousand of times will compress the foams, and it'll start to loosen up eventually, then it's time for the wall of fame in the garage.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I've had this conversation over and over with a friend. He is a thermoplastics engineer. He says the new materials helmets are made of will last long beyond 10 plus years. Same thing with the energy absorbing foam inside. However.....if said materials are exposed to UV light then there will be a slight breakdown/hardening of shell and foam. He says that most clears/paints on helmets protect the shell from breaking down and becoming brittle.

I get a new lid every 5-6 years. That's just me. I picked up a RF1100 earlier this year. My melon is worth the $500.

Me no likey crash

Do you really give a shit about passengers? Shit, I put mine in an HJC that's been dropped 15 times and tell them to hold on.

Original

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    Do you really give a shit about passengers? Shit, I put mine in an HJC that's been dropped 15 times and tell them to hold on to my boobs.
    take me for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrais View Post
    Impact is what kills a helmet. The styrofoam is designed to crush to obsorb impact. It does not bounce back. The soft padding is mainly for fit and comfort rather than protection from impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlief View Post
    I've had this conversation over and over with a friend. He is a thermoplastics engineer. He says the new materials helmets are made of will last long beyond 10 plus years. Same thing with the energy absorbing foam inside. However.....if said materials are exposed to UV light then there will be a slight breakdown/hardening of shell and foam. He says that most clears/paints on helmets protect the shell from breaking down and becoming brittle.

I get a new lid every 5-6 years. That's just me. I picked up a RF1100 earlier this year. My melon is worth the $500.

I'd love to know the real answer. Styrofoam may last forever but it does not remain in it's same state. Leave a cup out on a shelf for 5 years. I bet it gets brittle and less shock absorbing. Put some sweat, changes in temp etc and I think it will break down.

The question is will it break down enough for YOU to be worried about it.

For me, I like a new helmet every 5 years, I can afford it and I feel it is worth it.

Your mileage may vary.

That said, Jim, Just get a beanie for the skanky hos.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lifer

My melon is worth the $500.

Pretty sure he said more than once that it wasn't for his own personal use. So yes, Jim's head may be worth $500 (doubtful) but his passenger's head is definitely worth less.

Unless she's that Supahead chick and then its probably worth more.

Original

Do you really give a shit about passengers? Shit, I put mine in an HJC that's been dropped 15 times and tell them to hold on.
    Considering your new pair of "grab handles", I'd wear that HJC......

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Wear it as long as you want!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

-
    Quote Originally Posted by TLRMan View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add, I charge double for Kawasaki's

"My God, you're gonna have to cool me down, give me an ice block to shove in my pants or something".
    -Barbecue Lou

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Giggity: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE
    Do you really give a shit about passengers? Shit, I put mine in an HJC that's been dropped 15 times and tell them to hold on to my boobs.
    take me for a ride.
    PM sent

EX 105

I get a new helmet usually shoei about every 7 years

I will be buying an rf1100 come spring

I keep the old one and lend it out when if need be

Donated to a fire rescue in your town to learn how to take a helmet off a motorcyclist. Tax write off as well.

Two things help getting older - BMW'S and Metamucil