Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Extended warranties: who has what?

Re: Extended warranties: who has what?

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Have you been through so much sales training that you actually believe these things? You sound like a shill for warranty companies. While I am not familiar with the extent of coverage on your "Manufacturer Elite" warranty, the aftermarket extended ones are criminally overpriced and underdelivered.

It's not okay to use fear and misinformation to sell a useless warranty.
    I'll install all the ABS sensors you want at 800 each. Especially since you're cool with them going bad again.
    Oh I got called a shill. that's a new one. actually never went thru sales training for my role in service. i'm just relaying what comes through my desk on a daily basis. but fuck me right. i mean i have no skin in this convo.

You have a car that is out of basic 4 year 60k bumper to bumper with an issue, and now there is something broken, people with the warranty are leaving out of here alot happier than the dude that had to pay out of pocket for a repair.

Is the warranty expensive upfront? yes (never said it wasn't)

is the manufacturer one better than aftermarket ones.? (provided the car is bone stock, and has regular maintenance done on it corporate will usually approve claims with less hassle.)

Are their some good aftermarket ones out there, yes, you just need to do your homework and find one that suits your needs. I cant even begin to see how many cars come in with an extend warranty, and they think is going to cover repairs, and their policy was just for a different component and they are unfortunately sol

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    If I had no "free" time I would never post on NESR.
    multi tasking

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Thanks for the comments so far. Definitely some interesting debates going on.

This is for a 2016 BMW S1000R with 2600 miles. If it was something Japanese I probably wouldn't be thinking about it. The 2014 and 2015 S1000Rs had some known issues that were mostly ironed out by MY 2016, however my is an early production MY 2016 with an October 2015 production date.

Some issues on these bikes include premature camshaft wear where they were not hardened properly. Also, valves falling into the cylinder.

With all the electronics this bike has such as abs, lean angle, abs pumps, electronic suspension etc I'm nervous about these failing. Realistically I am keeping this bike for at least 3 years.

What extended coverage terms should I be looking for as far as exclusions?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    What extended coverage terms should I be looking for as far as exclusions?

the one I had many moons ago, had an exclusion worded so the it wouldn't cover routine oil changes, but the way it was worded excluded any oil related problem

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

What are your thoughts on this coverage? This is New England Powersport's own extended warranty. $50 deductible and I can go to any BMW dealership.

My only concern is the 6th box; gauges are not covered. And 2nd paragraph below the boxes; total coverage per claim is $5000.

What differ this from other extended warranties is that it does not have a shit load of exclusions.

Thoughts?

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

how much are they charging for this warranty?

as for the gauges thing. i could understand your apprehension, but it would be worth a call to the company and suggest they re word it as alot of new bikes have basically screens instead of traditional gauges that didnt have as many issues.

Extended warranties: who has what?-capture-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    how much are they charging for this warranty?

as for the gauges thing. i could understand your apprehension, but it would be worth a call to the company and suggest they re word it as alot of new bikes have basically screens instead of traditional gauges that didnt have as many issues.
    Its little under $1000 for 3 years unlimited miles. Apparently discounted automatically down from $1340 *rolls eyes.

However, the prices for others were Pinnacle for $1240 and Xtraride for $1400 for the same 3 years. However they had more exclusions. Here are the exclusions for Pinnacle.

Last edited by SwiftTone; 09-28-18 at 09:40 AM.

i feel if you put 1,000 in a piggy bank in the garage and use money from that to fix the bike should something arise, you may run out of money.
    i mean if you can get them to budge a bit more on it, that i'd say go for it. but thats only for 3 years, what should you keep it longer and something goes wrong, that would suck as you would be totally out of pocket.

what kind of bike are we talking about here?

I mean its a bike and supposed to be fun and enjoyable, if you cant enjoy the ride, then whats the point.

i feel if you put 1,000 in a piggy bank in the garage and use money from that to fix the bike should something arise, you may run out of money.
    i mean if you can get them to budge a bit more on it, that i'd say go for it. but thats only for 3 years, what should you keep it longer and something goes wrong, that would suck as you would be totally out of pocket.

what kind of bike are we talking about here?

I mean its a bike and supposed to be fun and enjoyable, if you cant enjoy the ride, then whats the point.
    I edited my last post and added more info.

The bike is a 2016 BMW S1000R (naked)

I think I can burn through $1000 pretty quickly if I put that in the bank no?

I feel like you would burn through 1k quickly too. i've been way to cheap to have a bike that need and annual servicing bill. but I'm pretty sure that warranty would not cover regular maintenance which wont be cheap over the years. but its an s1k, i thought those were pretty robust.

but now knowing what the bike is i fell like i'd be like fuck it and ride the snot out of it. (it does not have ESA right, because that shit scares me if that goes wrong)

I feel like you would burn through 1k quickly too. i've been way to cheap to have a bike that need and annual servicing bill. but I'm pretty sure that warranty would not cover regular maintenance which wont be cheap over the years. but its an s1k, i thought those were pretty robust.

but now knowing what the bike is i fell like i'd be like fuck it and ride the snot out of it. (it does not have ESA right, because that shit scares me if that goes wrong)
    Its $200 for an oil change at the dealer. I think repairs can add up very quickly. I've always done my own work for everything. But now I just wanna ride.

Model year 2014 and 2015 S1KRs can be problematic from my research. Camshaft wear, valves dropping into cylinders, leaking waterpump, bad cam chain tensioners etc were not unheard of. Some people just have their motors go boom. By model year 2016 most issues were irons out. My is a model year 2016 but it has a August 2015(maybe October, cant remember exactly) build date. So it was an early build date for the model year. Just worried that it could cause problems.

It's a loaded bike with DDC (active suspension), and I'm adding ABS Pro (cornering ABS) next week. I think its the abundance of electronics that is scaring me.

On the one hand, it's *probably* going to be trouble free.

On the other hand, what does any one of these cost to fix/replace if it acts up:
    - Dynamic Damping Control
    - ABS
    - Cruise

Flip a coin and ride the hell out of it.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Ended up doing the 3 year unlimited miles. They tagged a $75 inspection fee for looking over the bike which was dumb but I was on my last day of being able to get extended warranty so not much choice. However I was able to negotiate the deductible from $50 to $0 per claim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12