Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Extended Warranties & Fluff

2WT

Extended Warranties & Fluff

I know you guys were against buying the padded warranties and said they were not needed. Since my bike is now gone for good I will be buying another bike.

It would be in the interest of the dealership to roll over the warranties to the new bike. However I am thinking I would rather drop most of the warranties when I buy the new bike. My question is since I agreed to buy them will the dealership try to make me pay for them during the settlement or are they returnable items where I only lose a prorated amount?

I do have to state that I have not used the tire/wheel warranty (stupid for buying) nor the 4 year extended warranty.

I want to be prepared if the dealership is going to try to make me pay for them because while I did agree I guess in the end I would be responsible if they are not returnable items.

My main concern is when I bought the 2011 bike I bought EVERYTHING you could think of such as

LoJack (not getting it again)
    Tire/Wheel Warranty (don't want it)
    Extended 4 year warranty (don't need it i guess)
    Pre-Paid Service (will keep this as labor rates just go up)
    Microdot Theft Protection (never claimed against it, bike is totaled not sure if this is a disposable product or not)

I got the bike for $9076 but after the warranties my loan was up around 14,000 before my 8,000 down payment. The insurance bases the bike value off current market value.
    I fear that the value has gone down because I have seen new ones for sale for less than I paid.

My goal would be to try to get the warranties off to let the actual loan amount drop so that when the insurance covers the bike I have a bit more cash to work with for a down payment
    rather than only 2-3k after the loan is paid in full.

Any feedback you can provide I would appreciate.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jcrawford; 10-27-11 at 09:53 AM.

Re: Extended Warranties & Fluff

Only warranty worth getting will be the one that comes with a brand new bike. Otherwise don't waste your money.

And given your already high insurance rate, I'd keep it cheap and used for the next bike. This accident will spike your rates even higher.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

they will prorate....if not....you make them prorate.
    wait a minute.....now i remember you......you where the guy who bought the CBR 600
    brandy new with all the stuff put on it.....dude...you have to start with a clean slate.

and dont let them pressure you into buying another bike with them...you are the consumer..you got the power...but once you sign on that dotted line...you no longer have
    anything....do your homework before you sign anything.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

All warranties are different, call the dealer and ask them.

And why the fuck would you not get LoJack when you've had a bike stolen previously?

Original

2WT

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    All warranties are different, call the dealer and ask them.

And why the fuck would you not get LoJack when you've had a bike stolen previously?
    because now I will have an enclosed trailer to keep the bike in (2 more weeks hopefully) which will be locked at all times, last one I had no storage sat in the open driveway.
    Plus many people here have said LoJack is good to find a ton of stolen bikes, no so good in recovering your bike. If the thieves want it they will have LoJack disabled in minutes.
    Plus if my bike has been removed by anyone other than me, not sure I want it back.

Last edited by jcrawford; 10-27-11 at 10:06 AM.

2WT

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    they will prorate....if not....you make them prorate.
    wait a minute.....now i remember you......you where the guy who bought the CBR 600
    brandy new with all the stuff put on it.....dude...you have to start with a clean slate.

and dont let them pressure you into buying another bike with them...you are the consumer..you got the power...but once you sign on that dotted line...you no longer have
    anything....do your homework before you sign anything.
    The only thing I put on it was the exhaust. I lost out on that already and figured I would. However what I am talking about are the warranties. Was not sure if anyone here had experience with them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    The only thing I put on it was the exhaust. I lost out on that already and figured I would. However what I am talking about are the warranties. Was not sure if anyone here had experience with them at all.
    Joe, what i meant by stuff is addons like warranties, lojack, prepaid svce etc..
    i think it was overboard...the warranty you do not have to buy right away...you have until 1year from purchasing a brand new bike to extend the warranty...

personally, my advise to you is buy used.....alot of low mileage bikes out there..like new....on a 600cc...$7000.00 will get you a nice used, low miles, like new street bike...

99 R6 track bike

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

More than likely wasting my breath here, but...

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/2669265664.html

That's less than 2 years of insurance for you.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

If you want a clean used bike my bud has 4-5 bikes.....

1000 gsxr 04 Black and grey one
    1k Ninja
    Black Busa that is super PIMP
    and a few others....

i would highly recommend NOT storing your bike in a trailer.
    people steal trailers, hoping someone like you would leave a bike in there.

only keep a bike in your trailer during transport.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Yeah, I was going to say that but I think it's pointless to give advice to someone that asks for advice when they already have their mind made up.

Good luck getting insurance to cover your trailer and your bike.

Original

because now I will have an enclosed trailer to keep the bike in (2 more weeks hopefully) which will be locked at all times, last one I had no storage sat in the open driveway.
    Plus many people here have said LoJack is good to find a ton of stolen bikes, no so good in recovering your bike. If the thieves want it they will have LoJack disabled in minutes.
    Plus if my bike has been removed by anyone other than me, not sure I want it back.
    You live in Lynn. If a thief finds out that you have a nice bike in that trailer, you'll be out a trailer and a bike.

You've already paid for the warranties, hence you're crazy amount financed on the bike.

Insurance will pay market value minus deductible to you. If that doesn't cover the loan amount, and you don't have gap insurance, the bank will then be on your ass to make up the difference.

You should be able to get a prorated refund on the various extended warranties but no guarantee. Deal with that first, don't talk to the dealership about a new bike until that is settled. You don't need to wait for your insurance company to issue a pay out either, get this sorted NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    You've already paid for the warranties, hence you're crazy amount financed on the bike.

Insurance will pay market value minus deductible to you. If that doesn't cover the loan amount, and you don't have gap insurance, the bank will then be on your ass to make up the difference.

You should be able to get a prorated refund on the various extended warranties but no guarantee. Deal with that first, don't talk to the dealership about a new bike until that is settled. You don't need to wait for your insurance company to issue a pay out either, get this sorted NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post

if this is as advertised....this is a steal....and i bet you can go down couple more bills if you spot him cash/bank check...value..value right there.

99 R6 track bike

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post

Wow....major steal

'02 F4i

Basically just get the standard 1 year warranty when you buy a new bike. It's a new bike so something might not be right at first. Usually after that you are good to go as long as you properly maintain the bike. LoJack really depends on a person's situation. If you have a garage to store the Bike in, I don't really see a need for it. If you have to keep it outside, in a trailer or a shed, I would consider it. Also if you live in a shitty area you might want to consider it as well.

Kind of unrelated but the town over from me, a guy is selling a bike and has it out on his front lawn and leaves it there overnight. Hasn't gotten stolen yet and it's been there for 2 weeks. It's a nice town with 0 crime so he can get away with that.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

If the thieves want it they will have LoJack disabled in minutes.
    Yes and No, my friend dirtyDank on here had his 1krr stolen and found the bike with Lojack the next day on a side street, many hours after. No all thieves are pros, though in other cases where you are dealing with a pro then it's in pieces in an hour or so i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    if this is as advertised....this is a steal....and i bet you can go down couple more bills if you spot him cash/bank check...value..value right there.
    too bad I have so much into my 05 already, no turning back now.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Kind of unrelated but the town over from me, a guy is selling a bike and has it out on his front lawn and leaves it there overnight. Hasn't gotten stolen yet and it's been there for 2 weeks. It's a nice town with 0 crime so he can get away with that.
    The joys of being 50 feet from the Police station woop woop

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    The joys of being 50 feet from the Police station woop woop
    My friend's bike got stolen directly across the street from a police station; a woman smoking a cigarette on the station steps saw it, walked in, and reported it, but the bike was long gone.

But that was Chinatown.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.71 Safari/534.24)

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch
    Yeah, I was going to say that but I think it's pointless to give advice to someone that asks for advice when they already have their mind made up.

Good luck getting insurance to cover your trailer and your bike.
    its like talking to Heath

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports