Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

EZ Pass?

EZ Pass?

Curious what the deal is with successfully getting these transponders to register while on the kawi. I put the transponder on the top of my tank bag so I can see it through the plastic. Not sure if it would matter but I've tried both right side up and upside down. I'm averaging about a 50% success rate and just don't need the hassle of saving $0.70 in order to have a conversation or three with the staties who like to hang out at the Bedford plaza. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Fitz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: EZ Pass?

I've got a pillion cover on my bike and I stuck mine to its underside and it works 100% of the time. On other bikes that dont have that, I've tried everything: tankbag(buried, map pocket, etc), jacket pocket, windshield mount (<-better success but horribly ugly) and none of them worked as well.

All I can guess is that my body must be blocking the sensor when its in front of me. Or does it try to reconcile the transponder and license plate at the same time? No idea...I just know for me, pillion area works best.

Kevin
    2011 KTM 530 EXC
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter S
    2013 BMW R1200GS

60% of the time, mine works every time.

Shall we presume that you are adhering to a speed somewhere within a fairly forgiving range of the posted speed limit? If so...I don't know dude...you're fucked!!!

Duct tape is like "The Force". It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

If the shit doesn't work, and you've got time, park your bike in the lane and sit there until a representative from the Authority can determine the cause of the malfunction. They love that shit. Fuck 'em. Bikes should be free.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

search button is your friend.

i put mine under the seat and it seems to work fine. if it doesnt work...who cares? at worst they will take a pic of your plate and then realize that you have an EZ pass and charge you accordingly. personally ive found that if i hug the sides it doesnt pick the bike up at all.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Since I rarely go through tolls, I just pull mine out of my truck and tape it to my top triple with painters tape. Ghetto as hell, but it seems to work fine.

Make sure you have it facing the same way it would if it was mounted to a windshield (velcro side facing out/up)

You could always hold it as you pass thru and hope you dont have to stop

you guys act like the gestapo is gonna gun you down if it doesnt work!
    if you have an EZ pass acct and the bike is on it then WHO FUCKING CARES IF IT WORKS!? half the time i dont even have it on the bike.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    you guys act like the gestapo is gonna gun you down if it doesnt work!
    if you have an EZ pass acct and the bike is on it then WHO FUCKING CARES IF IT WORKS!? half the time i dont even have it on the bike.
    Because if State Trooper happens to be parked, there seems to be a nonzero chance he'd pull you over. I don't care who you are, that's a pain in the a$$.

Kevin
    2011 KTM 530 EXC
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter S
    2013 BMW R1200GS

See.. here's the deal. I pass through the Bedford tolls every day on the way to and from work. 6:30ish in the AM and 5ish in the PM. Today for example there were three statie's sitting just on the other side of the tollbooth in the northbound lane. Red light goes off.. they walk into traffic and point you over.
    I'm a huge fan of not calling unneeded attention to oneself. The statie's are there 3-4 times a month. If I can do something simple to avoid the whole "G'morning Sir" conversation I certainly will.

I did search, hence why I've tried different mounting points.

Today I kept it in an easily accessed pocket of the tankbag and help it up when I went through. Green light. Problem solved. Looks like I'll be using that method.

Thanks folks,
    Fitz

hence...hug the edge and the toll booth doesnt even know you exist. i dont think there is a red light for the EZ pass lane. i think it just says "call EZ pass".
    tank bag works but if i dont need a tank bag then what. the problem is there really isnt a place to put it. NH DOT told me to put it on my front license plate.

i stick with the "invisible" method

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    hence...hug the edge and the toll booth doesnt even know you exist. i dont think there is a red light for the EZ pass lane. i think it just says "call EZ pass".
    tank bag works but if i dont need a tank bag then what. the problem is there really isnt a place to put it. NH DOT told me to put it on my front license plate.

i stick with the "invisible" method
    Tried the invisible method this morning while holding the pass up. No green light. No EZ Pass message. No red light. Interesting....

The red light is on top of a pedestal above the green lights/EZ Pass Message board by the way.

Fitz

I got nicked going through the Bedford tolls Thursday morning. Saw the new Charger sitting on the right as I rolled up to the tolls. I rolled through in second holding the ez pass transponder up about a foot abover my head. Speed was about 15mph or so.. no green light.. no "call ez pass" message and no red beacon. Excellent.

Stuffed the EZ pass in the open pocket of my tank bag, cleared my baffles and cycled up through the gears to cruising speed at a speedo indicated 80 or so (72mph by gps - speedo reads about 10% high). Had a few vehicles behind me, a Nissan and a pickup as well as a few vehicles in front. Approximately 3-4 miles past the tolls I looked in the rearview and the fast lane was clear for a solid 1/2 mile. Let's see, 6:30 in the morning and traffic is heavy. I'm still going with traffic and not ripping past people. Where is everyone? I can't really see what kind of car is behind me. From that distance it appeared to be a maroon PT Cruiser but yet my fuzz alarm was going off something fierce. I signal and drop in between two big rigs that are about 600 feet apart staring intently into the mirror. Definitely a dark colored car with a pointed front end and taller windshield. Maroon PT Cruiser it is. Signal left and come back up to cruising speed. Blues go on just as we approach exit 12 in Merrimack. Statie. Dodge Charger. Man am I puzzled. Pull over, present paperwork and exchange niceties.
    Reson for pullover: No EZ pass recognition when I went through the lane. I handed him my transponder and told him I had it up in the air which he said he saw. Walked back to the Charger (those are mean looking cars) and proceeded to write me out a "Division of State Police Enforcement Action Slip." First time I've seen one of those. Essentially he wrote down all of my info and the bike's info and the fact that I had the transponder on me but it didn't work. He told me to send a copy into the state if they send me a notice for a fine and to keep a copy with my registration to show future officers that the EZ pass system is flawed. The officer mentioned that they have issues with it reading the presence of motorcycles and some antique vehicles as well. Overall a pleasant experience but not something I'm looking forward to repeating once a week either.

I emailed the governer to see of I could get something other than a canned "thank you for the memo" response. We'll see what happens.

Fitz

Cliff notes: Pulled over with EZ pass by Statie. Statie issued get out of jail free card. Life resumes as normal.

Cliff's notes: Did we go to college together?? Nice work bro.

Duct tape is like "The Force". It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

i think you are just in a tougher part of the state. that concord is crawling with staties. not so much here on the seacoast.

when EZ pass first came out, i went down there and asked them where i should put it on my bike. they responded with.."the front license plate"...thanks retard

i have my bike registered, but keep the transponder in my jeep.

every time i go through the tolls, i never get a red light. it just doesn't pick me up. if it did, i assume it wouldn't be a problem since the bike is registered with ez pass. i haven't had a problem yet.

I have the FastLane and I'm not sure of the similarity to EZPass, but I just keep it in the pocket of my textile jacket and it picks it up every time. When I'm wearing my leathers, however, it doesn't pick it up through my jacket so I hold it up as I go through.

mine is attached to wind screen but mine is a curved one so towards the front of it where i have transponder it's steeper. But it seems that the top of the transponder needs to be up. It doesnt always work, does most of the time though.