Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody familar with Triumph Sprint ST 1050?

Anybody familar with Triumph Sprint ST 1050?

I finally found the bike that I really want for my next bike, and I was just curious if anybody here has ever owned one. Also curious of things to look out for, etc. I'm reading up on Triumph forums and whatnot, but there's some information overload so I figured I'd throw it out there and see if anybody here had any experience with one.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

High maintenance priss

Re: Anybody familar with Triumph Sprint ST 1050?

Solid bike, fit/finish not *quite* up to par with, say, a Honda VFR...but not bad. The 05-06 had a couple TSBs (brake m/c was one of them I believe). If you get one of those years make sure it has the factory updates. I think the '07+ had slightly higher bars. Some guys complain about the headlights at night (common to bikes w/ projectors). Pillion is decent, high and a bit separated from the rider...good or bad is personal preference. I think the hard-bag setup was slightly quirky to operate, but not bad. The bag bracket isn't very noticeable w/ bags removed which is nice.

I was in the market for one to replace my 02 VFR, but went another direction instead. I wouldn't mind owning one.

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

i have no personal experience with one, but i was and still am a long-time member of a triumph forum based in britain, and heard a lot of good things about that bike.

the 1050 is a great lump, being basically the same engine as the 955 in my (ex)daytona but slightly stroked, which fattens the torque curve even further (on an already very respectable torque curve).

many people have said that the sprint ST 1050 can keep right up with the Daytona 955i and keep you much more comfortable while doing it.

iirc there was an occasional/rare issue with rear wheel bearings getting sloppy, they had occasional/rare issues with galling/seizure on the rear suspension's lower attachment point and swing arm pivot point (again, these were all occasional to rare occurrence issues)

and then there was the fuel fitting issues..

the original fuel fittings (may or may not predate the sprint, not sure, but this issue spanned the sport models for several years) were twin plastic self-sealing quick-disconnects.. kind of a trick bit, but the plastic got weak from the fuel and eventually would fracture, spray fuel and cause accidents...

they were all replaced under a recall, but the replacement parts were aluminum non-sealing crap. some owners went the extra mile and sourced proper metal replacement parts that maintained original functionality with better durability.
    either way, a cheap and easy fix.

overall a good product, under rated by most, and not something you see in multiples on every ride you go on.

i'd own one if i had the bankroll to make it happen.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

I have an 09. Anything specific you want to know?

Cliff notes are, I like the bike a lot. I find it very comfortable. Wife did not find riding it 2-up was comfortable until I replaced the stock seat with the optional gel seat, then she said it was much improved.

I have 3100 miles on mine and it's been reliable, no issues. There was one recall for a suspension part, the dealer took care of it without any drama.

I actually have no problem with the headlights, they seem fine to me, but I have also heard that complain.

Love the motor. Sounds great, torquey down low, and easy to ride. The bike is very docile around town and in traffic. Open it up on the highway though and it's a freight train with a rocket motor. It really hauls and feels very stable. Good wind protection. Gas mileage is good (I get mid 40's and up). Very tossable and I think it handles great although I don't ride very aggressively.

Annoyances: panniers won't hold a helmet. Bike is also quite heavy with the panniers on and fully loaded with fuel. And about that weight, it is top heavy. Be careful walking it around. Be especially careful duck walking it backwards into a parking space at Dunkin Donuts with lots of sand on the ground. Don't ask me how I know. Just be careful doing that. Once underway though you don't feel the weight at all, the bike lightens right up.

no bikes currently

Lifer

I recently sold my 1996 Triumph Thunderbird, and although it was not a Sprint, I thought that maybe I could offer some insight into your prospective purchase.
    I really liked the 885cc mill in the T-Bird, but when I sold it, my brother asked me why I sold it (he really liked that bike). I thought about for a second, and replied: "Well, I was starting to experience "Triumph" problems, which are significantly different than "Motorcycle" problems..."
    He laughed, but he knew exactly what I was talking about. I had a strange wiring loom problem that I couldn't nail down, The headlight would go out for no reason (at the worst times, and the high beam indicator would illuminate when it happened. The neutral indicator would stop working when the motor got hot. I tracked that to a unique "Triumph" switch setup that utilized a brass plunger type switch that contacted a brass plate located on the shift drum. The plate had a groove worn in it from the plunger, and required complete transmission disassembly to replace it.
    Then there was the complete lack of aftermarket, compared to most Big 4 manufacturers. I got good at sourcing parts from other machines and making them fit my bike.
    So, in the end, I really liked the whole Triumph experience, but I probably will not be going that route again.
    The Sprint is a great bike, though!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Don't want an 02+ VFR for various reasons. I was looking at the 98-01 but I like this ST better (I found an '06 in NY with 3,400 miles on it) and I really want that triple. Thanks for the replies!

Lifer

Triple is a lot of fun but you're probably nuts to buy one without at least riding that 02 VFR for sale, especially if it has already had the 16k service done.

The ST is basically a VFR clone... the ergonomics are exactly the same down to a millimeter or so. It has more torque but they are just not screwed together anywhere near as nicely.

My old roommate had a Tiger & a 1050 Speed Triple.. his SP3 had the front brake issues brand new from the dealer and both bikes had cooling issues.

I had never heard of this BS with the fuel fittings... I just took the fuel fittings apart on my VFR... brass with sealing washers that will probably last forever. Who needs quick disconnects on the fuel system on a Sport-Touring bike...

Maybe it is the engineer in me but anytime I look at a Triumph up close the lack of attention to detail drives me away. The 1050 is really a fun motor though, it feels like bottomless torque... and Triumph practically gave the hard bags away so you're much more likely to find them on used bikes.

Any performance differences will be essentially meaningless though.. it's about the rest of the ownership experience.

I've had a VFR (01) and I know that they are great bikes, but the looks just don't do it for me. I want something out of the ordinary, and getting a bike with factory hard bags and 3,400 miles with the looks, color, ergonomics, and engine that I want is just too good to pass up.

I've had a V-twin, and a V-four, I want an inline this time around.

Lifer

If it looks good go for it!

What the hell? I thought you were going to buy my FZ1.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    I was until I found this. Sorry dude, but this bike wasn't even on my radar until last week and since then I've become absolutely enamored with it. It's fairly rare (this is the only worthy candidate within 250 miles) and I think it's beautiful. Plus I have really wanted a speed triple but it just wasn't practical enough.

You're still #2 on my list, though, if this falls through.

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 06-10-10 at 01:50 PM.

Given that Triumph started from scratch not very long ago, and stayed profitable recently when other bike companies haven't, I think it's reasonable to see how they maybe aren't screwed together like a Honda, yet. I'd be careful not to over-emphasis the difference, though. I have an 08 model Honda bike and while I agree the 09 ST might not be screwed together quite the same, I think the difference is pretty small.

no bikes currently

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    I was until I found this.
    But you promised!!!

No worries. I only count on something being sold when I see the money land in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I recently sold my 1996 Triumph Thunderbird, and although it was not a Sprint, I thought that maybe I could offer some insight into your prospective purchase.
    I really liked the 885cc mill in the T-Bird, but when I sold it, my brother asked me why I sold it (he really liked that bike). I thought about for a second, and replied: "Well, I was starting to experience "Triumph" problems, which are significantly different than "Motorcycle" problems..."
    For what it's worth, there seems to be a significant difference between '90s Triumphs and '05+ Triumphs. The older ones definitely still had some Britishisms; the newer ones seem to be a lot more reliable.

My '01 Bonneville has been trouble-free aside from a weak coil that I replaced a month or so ago. And fit and finish on that bike were excellent -- it's beginning to show its age a little now, but only because it lives outside under a cover for most of the year. If I give it a good wash, it still looks great.

I've got several friends with 50,000+ miles on their 955 triples with no significant issues. No reason to think the 1050s would be any different.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

theothersean had one

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

As you already know, Frank's will be your nearest dealer within 150 miles.

Some here may have had good experiences at Frank's but I had the absolute worst customer experience of my adult life there.

YMMV, but I feel obligated to mention it.

Last edited by catamount; 06-10-10 at 02:59 PM.

Mike Norris has a Triumph Sprint (I think) and is very happy with it. The front suspension could use some more stiffness but that could be because he beats on it. It's a big bike but rides well. He recently had very good luck with servicing it at Cyclewise. He'll be leaving in about a month for a few month trip travelling around the US on his...

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    I was until I found this.

FWIW, when I said the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    I was in the market for one to replace my 02 VFR, but went another direction instead.
    ...the "other direction" i went in was a 2nd-gen Yamaha FZ1.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    As you already know, Frank's will be your nearest dealer within 150 miles.
    If Frank's proves too frustrating to deal with, Cyclewise is always an option -- and Great Bay in NH is an excellent option. They're one of the best Triumph shops in the country.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

I LOVE my '08 Sprint ST! 14,000 miles and no problems with it!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Posting Freak

don't have one, but I would if I had the money. Guy in my neighborhood has one and I've always liked them.

I'm definitely sold on it at this point, I just hope that I can close the deal. Got the bank approval, and the insurance is only going to be $50 a year or so more than the SV, which I think is fantastic considering the increased value of the Sprint. I even ordered my new helmet today so that it will be here in time for a possible road trip next weekend The price might be a touch high for a 4 year old bike, but I figure half of the new MSRP isn't too bad considering it only has 3,400 miles.

I think I would have the only Sprint ST at bike night too

Post pics if you get it.

Here's mine over the winter (don't have a recent pic of it):

no bikes currently

Here's mine:

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast