Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Fastlane?

Fastlane?

Ok, I went out to NY last weekend, and I took my dad's fastlane toll thingy 'cause I hate paying tolls on the bike. It worked out great, no problems at all. So, I was thinking I'd go and get one specifically for the bike, but the application says you can only use it for 2-axle 4-tire vehicles. So, the question is, why couldn't I just get one for my car and take it on the bike when I need it? Or am I gonna get arrested or something for doing that? Anybody know?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Fastlane?

There was talk of this on another board, people in NJ (I think) were complaining the rules are so goofy ~ and they just send you a fine in the mail; the complaint was the state was "printing money".

I don't like The Man knowing my average speed and home address at the same time.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Fastlane?

Fastlane's SUPPOSED to be available up here soon. I'd like to know some details from ya'll that've used this....

I've heard people say they use 'em on their bikes without a hastle...

Anybody? Anybody?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Fastlane?

If you want fastlane tags for your bike just get a newyork ezpass instead. It works up here and they let you apply for one. On the website initially you just have to select new york or it'll redirect you to the mass pike website.

If you choose ny though, you can still input a mass address and registration and it'll let you go through - they even let you choose motorcycles and there's no fee for one (unlike fastlane) other than a $25 prepayment.

I just signed up for my bike then

'01 Red SV650S

Fastlane?

you, my friend, are a genious. thanks.

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Fastlane?

I also use EZPass, 1 for the bike, 1 for the car. MA Pike and (what was then Baybank) their partners in piracy can bite my ass!

Fastlane?

now if only an unnamed state to the immediate north would get it's stupid lazy ass on the ball, all would be right with the world...

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Fastlane?

Yeah, going through tollbooths without one of these is horrible. Slabbin' it back on I-90 on Sunday motivated me to signup for one of these.

'01 Red SV650S

Fastlane?

EZ Pass! THAT'S what I meant. So relax (Matt K), it's gonna be up here too soon!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Fastlane?

EZPass just started charging a dollar a month.

Wouldn't bother me if they'd open more lanes! Why is it in NY i pay extra to use a tag that saves them money and there is still only one EZPass lane?

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Lifer

Fastlane?

EZ Pass down near New York City has many, many lanes where they need it. I know some places in the city there are more EZPass lanes than cash lanes.

Upstate I've seen 2-3 in some places, but there is no traffic so who cares. It's not *that* hard to pay a toll on a bike. If I'm slabbing I usually have my tank bag. I keep quarters & tokens in the left pocket... just stick it in neutral as you roll up, unzip the pocket, throw change in the bin, zip back up, and go. No need to shut off the engine or remove a glove.

Ben

Fastlane?

yeah, I guess it's not the end of the world to pay tolls the old-fashioned way, but I don't have a tank bag, so I keep tokens/change in the little wrist pockets on my jacket. They're convenient, but even the best-fitting gloves make it hard to fumble around for quarters... ezpass is just that, easier. (I just signed myself up for a NY one)

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Fastlane?

FastLane does allow motorcycles, or at least they used to. I originally got the speed pass for my car. I stopped by the fastlane dept and was going to get one for the bike when I found out I could simply add several vehicles to the same speedpass acct. They don't care who uses the pass as long as it goes off on entry and exit. The problems arise when it doesn't go off. Which can happen on occasion with the bike. If it doesn't go off and they don't find your plate in their system.. Except a $50 fine.. hehe If you add your bike to the acct and the light doesn't go off.. they charge your acct some amt ranging between $2 and $3.30.

If you currently have a speedpass and want to use your bike in the fastlane you can simply goto their website and add your vehicle information. As far as getting a new one I think they'll allow you to get one for a motorcycle still but I'm not 100% sure on that.

-Feir

Fastlane?

I have used the NY EZPass for several years now. The van, Subaru and Yamaha each have one.

On our trip to DC last summer, it worked everywhere on the way down. Even Delaware. Friggin' rocked.

I went with the NY pass because they were free, while Mass wanted a fee per tag at that time.

I do agree that we should get a discount, though. There is no labor involved - just drive through. If we are convenient for them, they should reward us.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

A.D.D or too much coffee?

Fastlane?

Is it possible to use one EZ-Pass for a few vehicles? Let's say I drive the truck one day and the bike the next? Does it only pick up the pass or does it identify the vehicle?
    Dan

Ahhh, Dukey Wookey hurt his wittle hand, I'm the king of this gang now!

2001CBR 929RR
    Lightly customized

Fastlane?

I don't know about 1 pass for multiple vehicles, but they sent me a 2nd one to use on the bike at no charge (not even postage), and it bills to the same account.

I think some states charge bikes less than cars, so i got one just for the bike. Also, someone else may be using the car while i'm on the bike, and it would just be a PITA to keep moving one of them around, forgetting it, etc.

No extra cost, so why not get a few?

Fastlane?

Originally posted by Dannyboy
    Is it possible to use one EZ-Pass for a few vehicles? Let's say I drive the truck one day and the bike the next? Does it only pick up the pass or does it identify the vehicle?
    Dan
    dunno bout EZ-Pass (ny version), but i've got both cars registered for the same FastLane(ma version) transponder.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Fastlane?

the seal with multiple vehicles is thus: if they get charged the same rate, you can register both of them to the same tag. If they don't (like motorcycles in some states) you aren't supposed to. Either way, as long as the green light flashes on the way on and off the highway, you're ok no matter what you're driving. The thing doesn't take a picture of you unless there's a problem. If it takes a pic and you're driving something not registered to that pass, you get fined. That's my understanding of the system, andyway

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80