Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Can I get some feedback on hitch mounted dual bike carriers?

xxaarraa

Can I get some feedback on hitch mounted dual bike carriers?

Hello NESR,

I am exploring options for hitch mounted motorcycle carriers that can carry two small dirt bikes, or one big sport bike (I have an SUV with a class III hitch rated for 5000/470).

Specifically, I am looking at:

Hands-on feedback from experience much appreciated. Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-12-16 at 05:26 PM.

Re: Can I get some feedback on hitch mounted dual bike carriers?

I hauled liter bikes across the US with this for many years;

Deluxe Cam-Loc Heavy Duty
    #JH05

Description

Designed for heavier, more valuable motorcycles.
    Larger diameter cross brace tubing.
    Wider rear tire width for bikes with up to 10" wide rear tires
    Wider hold down bars for more stability and four tie down
    locations.
    Cam-Loc eliminates hitch slop.
    Fits any Class III 2" receiver type hitch.
    Holds street and dirt bikes up to 600 lbs.
    Has position for mounting ramp, 7' ramp is included.
    Lights and mounts are available upon request.
    Powder coated black.
    3 year warranty.
    Weighs 80 lbs plus ramp.

One of the guys on here picked it up off me and uses it, he may chime in. It's the best I've found in many years of observation.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Dual bike carrier? Unless your SUV is a Suburban, I doubt the vehicle's rated tongue weight will carry that load. Also remember a dual carrier extends further from the vehicle increasing the amount you effectively leverage the frame.

If you have a body on frame type SUV, it is possible with a good hitch and quality carrier. If it's a unibody, I wouldn't even consider it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Dual bike carrier? Unless your SUV is a Suburban, I doubt the vehicle's rated tongue weight will carry that load. Also remember a dual carrier extends further from the vehicle increasing the amount you effectively leverage the frame.

If you have a body on frame type SUV, it is possible with a good hitch and quality carrier. If it's a unibody, I wouldn't even consider it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I will be carrying two 200cc dirt bikes, or one full size sport bike. I am also considering getting just a single rail carrier as well, if it's a really good one.

Anyone have thoughts on this: Detail K2 400 lb. Capacity Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier with Adjustable Front Wheel Channel-TMC201 - The Home Depot

xxaarraa

I am posting this here in case anyone stumbles upon this thread in future looking for the same information. I tried both the versahaul and the Detail K2 and ended up with the Detail K2 for now. None of these are great, and unless you are forced to (like me), stick with your kendon.

I borrowed a friend's versahaul for last weekend's trip to NYST.

Pros:
    • Solidly built. With the anti rattle bracket tightened, it didn't move that much even with a ~425lb bike hanging off the back.
    • Comes with lights already attached, with a standard 4 pin flat connector.
    • Tie-down points are nice and wide, and are provided for both front and back.
    • Higher end of the price range for these sort of carriers.

Cons:
    • Too heavy for one person to move on the ground, and hitch/unhitch.
    • No front wheel cradle / chock so bike is less secure while on the unit.
    • The rails on the unit itself and the ramp are too narrow for a 200 rear tire, so the tire got chewed a bit on the ~500 mile trip. I had to get a 2x4 placed inside the ramp to raise the tire up enough while rolling the bike on and off during load and unload.
    • Because of the points above, it is NOT a one person loading operation. It is very awkward to clutch up a big bike onto a hitch platform on a make shift ramp while risking bike falling on you or your SUV.

I then went and bought the Detail K2 unit I linked to above. It's got it's own pros and cons, and overall, I think I am inclined to live with its compromises more than the versahaul.

Pros:
    • Light enough for a one man hitch/unhitch.
    • No ramp needed. The whole unit flips down for loading/unloading bike.
    • Front wheel is fully cradled (once adjusted to fit the front wheel), the bike is more secure when loaded.
    • There is no lip on the unit/ramp, so a 200 rear tire will fit without any trouble.
    • Very clever anti rattle setup - see review videos online.
    • At $370, it's inexpensive.

Cons:
    • While it's nice to not need a ramp, lifting the rear of a big superbike off the floor high enough to lock the rear pin is NOT a one person operation. Need a second person to help (thanks Isaac for helping yesterday).
    • Lights were not included and supposedly an optional accessory. Definitely need the lights as rear lights of SUV are fully blocked when bike is on.
    • Anti rattle bolt seemed to loosen just a tad as bike was transported ~100 miles or so making the unit move around. Bike is secure, but unit swayed enough to notice in the rear view mirror. I have a call in to the manufacturer to ask if blue loctite or another method was advisable to keep the anti rattle bolt from loosening when loaded.
    • It's advertised as a ~400 lb capacity, and at least one of my bikes is probably over that by ~20-30 lbs.
    • Tie down points are only provided for the front, and not as widely spaced as the versahaul. With the front wheel cradled, I think the manufacturer feels like the bike is secure enough. I however plan to add/weld on a wide tie down bar for the back.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-22-16 at 06:53 AM.

outside of the tongue weight issue, another con that I have not seen mentioned is that you cannot access your tailgate while you have a bike loaded, any access to cargo stored there while travelling will be from the back seat or unload the bike

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

I was just thinking for ease of use... can anyoen reccomend a hitch carrier for solely a dirtbike?
    looks like my specs are Towing Capacity:
    400 Pound Tongue Weight
    4000 Pound Towing
    Weight Distribution Towing Capacity:
    600 lbs WD TW Pound Tongue Weight
    6000 lbs WD GTW Pound Towing

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    I was just thinking for ease of use... can anyoen reccomend a hitch carrier for solely a dirtbike?
    looks like my specs are Towing Capacity:
    400 Pound Tongue Weight
    4000 Pound Towing
    Weight Distribution Towing Capacity:
    600 lbs WD TW Pound Tongue Weight
    6000 lbs WD GTW Pound Towing
    i've had one of these for years, works great for a single dirt bike. JustHitchIt.com

i would recommend an anit-wobble bracket as well although i never bought one.

Beta 200RR

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

thanks.... makes things a little easier for me. Now the trailer can stay inside out of sight

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    i've had one of these for years, works great for a single dirt bike. JustHitchIt.com

i would recommend an anit-wobble bracket as well although i never bought one.
    I just bought the rage powersports dual dirtbike carrier. Aluminum and light. haven't used it yet....can post more comments tomorrow

comes with anti tilt bracket and ramp...around$250

Condo association: 1
    xxaarraa: 0

I bought The Rage Powersport or something identical to this second hand from a guy in RI a few years ago.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Mounted-Mot...cle+hitch+rack

I can load/unload solo (granted I put my air-suspension in the lowest setting) and hitch it up solo as well. Yes, it's heavy but even my fat ass can handle it. Stores nicely upright.

I have transported maybe 10 different bikes ranging from a Ninja 300 to a ~500lb FZ1 and everything in between. Longest trip was Hanover, PA to Boston with an FZ6 out back. No issues.

I did add a pickup truck 48inch under tailgate LED strip for ~$15 bought on Amazon for lighting (running, brakes, and turn signals) - I don't think it's DOT but it does the trick. Sticks right on in about 5 seconds and had the flat 4 already connected. Also added a different anti-wobble device which I highly recommend: https://smile.amazon.com/Mounted-Mot...cle+hitch+rack - I put it on/off with my impact driver and it doesn't budge.

Man you are really trying to stay in that condo!

I would move out...I live in one of my rental properties with a roommate and nobody can tell me nothing...I keep multiple bikes and work on stuff at home all day... actually don't think I can go back to storing off site or not having a place to work on them

Or how about you buy a cargo van?

Store n haul in one

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-22-16 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    when I had a MX bike, I used a dirt bike hitch rack that locked the bike in using the footpegs and had a bottle jack to raise/lower it. It was a breeze to store, and even easier to load/unload the bike. I picked mine up second hand and would get another one in a heartbeat if I ever get another dirty bike.

Something like this:
    Ultimate MX Hauler Motocross and Dirt Bike Carrier | DiscountRamps.com