Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

feedback on newbie advice essay?

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

So for some dumb reason I always find myself on high traffic web sites giving advice to 16-year-olds (physical or mental age) about why a brand new ZX10 / CBR1000 / R6 / GSX isn't a good idea for a very first bike. I'm not sure if it's becuase I'm worried about their well-being or my insurance rates. In either event I wrote a really extensive "standard response" to the most standard question, "What is best 600cc bike for a new rider?". Thank god we dont have many of those people on NESR.

all that being so, I'd like to get some feedback on this "little" thing I wrote. If you get bored, take a look at it and make some suggestions. be warned, it's LOOOONG. see below.

-chris sedition

One of the most common questions new sport bike riders have is, “What kind of sport bike should I get?” This question raises it’s head so often that I have created a standardized response to it. Please keep in mind that these are the views and opinions of one person (albeit countless other also hold them). With that said, on we go…

Getting ANY modern 600cc sport bike for a first ride is a bad idea (far, far, far worse is a 1000cc bike for a first ride.) In fact, it may be nothing more than an expensive form of suicide. Here are a few reasons why.

1. Knowledge of Subject Matter

When anyone starts something new they find themselves at the most base point of the beginner’s period. They are at the very start of the learning curve. This is to say that they are not even aware of what it is that they don't know. A personal example of this is when I began Shotokan Karate. The first day of class I had no idea what an “inside-block” was, let alone how to do it with correct form, power, and consistency. After some time, and a lot of practice, I could only then realize how bad my form really was. Then, and only then, was I able to begin the process of improving it. I had to become knowledgeable that inside-blocks even existed before I was aware that I couldn’t do them correctly. This is to say that it takes knowledge OF something to be able to understand how that something works, functions, performs, etc. Now lets return to the world of motorcycles. A beginner has NO motorcycle experience. They are not even aware of the power, mistakes, handling, shifting, turning dynamics etc. of any bike, let alone a high performance sport bike. As one moves through the learning curve they begin to amass new information…they also make mistakes. A ton of them.

2. The Learning Curve

When you learn to do something, you make mistakes. Without mistakes the learning process is impossible. A mistake on a sport bike can be fatal. The thing new riders need to learn above anything else is smooth throttle control, proper speed, and how lean going into turns. A 600cc bike can hit over 60mph in about 4 to 6 seconds. A simple beginners mishap with that much power and torque can cost you your life before you even knew what happened. Grab a handful of throttle going into a turn you may end up crossing that little yellow line on the road into on-coming traffic…**shudder**. Bikes that are more forgiving of mistakes are far safer (not to mention more fun) to learn on. Examples of these bikes are Kawasaki’s Ninja 250cc / 500cc, Suzuki’s SV650, GS500F, early 1990’s Katana 600cc, early 1990's Honda F2, F3, F4, early 1990’s Yamaha YZF600R, and early 1990’s Kawasaki ZX-6E, ZZR600. Anyone of these would make a good choice for a first bike.

Ask yourself this question; in which manner would you rather learn to walk on tightropes A) with a 4x4 board that is 2 feet off the ground B) with a wire that is 20 feet off the ground? Most sensible people would choose “A”. The reason why is obvious. Unfortunately safety concerns with a first motorcycle aren’t as apparent as they are in the example above. However, the wrong choice of what equipment to learn on can be just as deadly…regardless of how safe, careful, and level-headed you are, or intend to be.

3. “But I will be safe, responsible, and level-headed while learning".

Sorry, but this line of reasoning doesn’t cut it. To be safe you also need SKILL (throttle control, speed, leaning, etc). Skill comes ONLY with experience. To gain experience you must ride in real traffic, with real cars, and real dangers. Before that experience is developed, you are best suited with a bike that won’t severely punish you for minor mistakes. A cutting edge race bike is not one of these bikes.

Imagine someone saying, "I want to learn to juggle, but I’m going to start by learning with chainsaws. But don’t worry, I’ll go slow, be careful, stay level-headed, and respect the power of the chainsaws while I’m learning". Like the tightrope example above, the proper route here isn’t hard to see. Be “careful” all you want, go as “slow” as you want, be as “cautious” as you want, be as “respectful” as you want…your still juggling chainsaws! Without a foundation in place of HOW to juggle there is only a small level of safety you can aspire towards. Plain and simple, it’s just better to learn juggling with tennis balls than it with chainsaws. The same holds true for learning to ride a motorcycle. Start with a solid foundation in the basics, and then move up.

4. “I Don’t Want A Bike I’ll Outgrow”

Please. Did your Momma put you in size 9 shoes at age 2? Get with the program. It is far better to maximize the performance of your current motorcycle and get "bored" with it than it is to fuck-up your really fast bike (not mention fucking yourself up) and not be able to ride at all. Power is nothing without control.

5. “I don’t want to waste money on a bike I’ll only have for a short period of time” (i.e. cost)

Smaller, used bikes have and retain good resale value. This is because other sane people will want them as learner bikes. You’ll prolly be able to sell a used learner bike for as much as you paid for it. If you can't afford to upgrade in a year or 2 you definitely can't afford to wreck the bike your dreaming about.
    Most new riders drop bikes going under 20MPH, when the bike is at its most unstable periods. If you drop your brand new bike, fresh off the showroom floor, while your learning (and you will), you've just broken a directional, perhaps a brake or clutch lever, cracked / scrapped the fairings ($300.00 each to replace), fucked-up the engine casing, fucked-up the bar ends, etc. It's better and cheaper to drop a shit bike that you don’t care about than one you just spent $8,000 grand on.
    Fortunately, most of these types of accidents do not result in serious physical injury. It’s usually just a big dent in your pride and…

6. EGO

Worried about looking like chump on a smaller bike? Well, your gonna look like the biggest idiot ever on your brand new, but fucked-up, 2005 bike after you’ve dropped it a few times. You’ll also look really dumb with a badass race bike that you stall 15 times a red light before you can get into gear. Or even better, how about a nice 2005 R6 that you can’t ride more than 15mph around a turn because you don’t know how to counter-steer correctly? Yeah, your gonna be really fucking cool with that bike, huh?
    Any real rider would give you props for going about learning to ride the *correct* way (i.e. on a learner bike). If you’re stressed about impressing someone with a “cool” bike, or embarrassed about being on small bike, then your not mature enough to handle the responsibility of ANY motorcycle. Try a bicycle. After you've grown up revisit the idea of a motorcycle.

7. "Don’t ask advice if you don't want to hear the answers".

A common pattern:

1) “Dick” asks for advice on a 1st bike
    (Dick wants to hear certain answers)

2) Experienced rider’s advice Dick against a 600cc bike for a first ride
    (This is not what Dick wanted to hear).

3) Dick says and thinks, "Others fuck up while learning, but that wont happen to me"
    (As if Dick is some how invincible, holds superpowers, never makes mistakes, has a ‘level head’, or for some reason has a skill set that exceeds the majority of the world, etc).

4) Experienced riders explain why a ‘level head’ isn’t enough. You also need SKILL, which can ONLY be gained via experience.

5) Dick makes up excuses as to why veterans riders, “Don’t understand why I’d be able to handle a 600cc bike while others could not”.
    (See point #3)

6) Dick, as a total newbie with no knowledge about motorcycles, totally disregards all the advice he asked for in the first place.
    (Which brings us right back to the VERY FIRST point I made about “knowledge of subject matter”).

7) Dick goes out and buys a R6, CBR, GSX, 6R, etc
    (Dick is scared shitless of the power. Being scared of your bike is the LAST thing you want. Dick gets turned-off to motorcycles, because of fear, and never gets to really experience all the fun that they truly can be. Or worse, “Dick” gets in serious accident. Don’t be a Dick.

I’m not trying to be harsh. I’m being real. Look all over the net. You’ll see veteran after veteran telling new riders NOT to get a 600cc bike for a first ride. Why? Because we hate new riders? Because we don't want others to have cool bikes? Because we want to smash your dreams? Nothing could be further from the truth. The more riders the better (assuming there not squids)! The reason people like me and countless others spend so much time trying to dissuade new riders from 600cc bikes is because we actually care about you. We don't want to see people get hurt. We don't want to see more people die in senseless accidents that could have been totally avoided with a little logic and patients. We want the “sport” to grow in a safe, healthy, and sane way. We WANT you to be around to ride that R6, CBR600RR, GSX-1000, Habayasu, etc that you desire so badly. However, we just want you to be able to ride it in a safe manner that isn’t going to be a threat to yourself or others.
    A side note, you may see people on the net and elsewhere saying “600cc bike are OK to start with”. Look a bit deeper when you see this. The vast majority of people making these statements are new riders themselves. If you follow their advice you’ve entered into a situation of the blind leading the blind. This is not something you want to do with motorcycles.

8. HELP IS ON THE WAY!!!

Speaking of help, this is a great time to plug the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. The MSF course is an AMAZING learning opportunity for new riders. The courses are offered all over the USA. A link for their web cite is listed at the bottom of this post (or do a Goggle search and check you local RMV web page.). The MSF course assumes no prior knowledge of motorcycles and teaches the basics of how to ride a bike with out killing yourself (and NO, just because you passed the MSF course it dose NOT mean your ready for an R6, GSX, CBR, etc). They provide motorcycles and helmets for the course. It is by far THE BEST way to start your life-long relationship with motorcycles. In some areas if you pass the course your motorcycle license will then be directly mailed to you. This means that you DON’T HAVE TO GOTO THE RMV!!!). That alone should be enough reason to take the course. Also, in some states you will get a discount on your insurance after you’ve taken the course. But wait, there is more! Some manufactures (Honda, Yamaha, etc) offer rebates if you take the course and then buy one of their bikes. Check their web sites / local dealers for details. I can’t plug the MSF course enough. It the best deal going for new riders. Period.

By the way, the short answer to the question, “What should I get for a first bike?” is as follows;
    1. First choice, a used bike that is 500cc or under.
    2. A new 500cc bike is good, but it would suck if you dropped it. Plus, it will depreciate in value the second you drive off the dealers parking lot.
    3. Any used OLDER 600cc sport bike (like 1980’s, early 1990’s). Refer to the list of bikes I mentioned in the “Learning Curve” section above.

Also, a GREAT book to check out is “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Motorcycles, 2nd edition. It coves everything from picking out a first bike, simple repair, anatomy of an engine, how to buy a used bike, riding gear, tips for surviving on the road, racing, etc. You can check this book out almost any major bookstore, www.amazon.com, or www.idiotsguides.com My advice for anyone looking to get into motorcycles would be to buy this book and read it cover to cover about 2 or 3 times. After you have done that, THEN take the MSF course. You’ll go into the course with some great information that will greatly enrich and hasten your learning experience. It will also give you a HUGE advantage on the written test at the conclusion of the MSF course. Trust me on this one, buy the book. At the very least, go hang out at Barnes & Nobel for an afternoon and read as much of the book as you can (or until they kick you out).

Oh! I haven’t even mentioned riding gear. Get it. Wear it. People who wear tank tops, flip-flops, and shorts while riding don’t look so cool when it comes time for a skin-graft (or when a bee goes up their shorts).
    Dress for the crash, not the ride.

-chr|s sedition
    Boston, MA
    www.msf-usa.org (web site for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation)

Contributors to Content:
    “Drewser600” / sportrider.com
    “Z_Fanatic” / sbw.sportbikes.com

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

Sometimes you wonder why a Newbie ever asks this question when they already have their mind made up on what they are gonna buy.

I have seen question asked too may times on various forums. It continually reminds me of the idea that when a kid asks his/her parents ta do something and the parents adamantly say no because they are aware of the inherent dangers. The more strongly the parents object to the idea the more determined the kid is to pursue his/her desire.

I wonder if it would be better to just say something like..........I don't have a problem with this BUT.................just be aware of this and that etc. with some graphic detail. I think if opinion was not cast or dictated forcefully this would give opportunity for one to consider the act in question and make a decision themselves. I would suggest that no one likes decisions made for him or her and a little reverse psychology in this matter would go a long way.

Good read. But I think your effort may be in vain for some.

BTW isn't 8,000 grand a bit much for a beginner bike? I think I'd go for the liter bike jus cuz they're cheaper

Wayne-o

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

I don't know if I'd suggest an SV as a *generally* good starter bike. It has lots of torque, a fairly touchy front brake coupled with a soft front fork, and runs high 11s in the 1/4 mile. The FI models have a very sentitive throttle that will cause 1st gear power wheelies no problem.

I would not lump it in with an EX500 and Ninja 250, but would put it on the higher end of the spectrum for starter bike. E.g. 1st string starters would be GS500, EX500, etc. and 2nd string starter bikes would be SV, ZZR600, YZF600, Honda 599, etc.

The SV can be a great 1st bike if you have a substantial amount of discipline, and it is way more forgiving than a SS bike, so in that sense it is not a bad first choice a person can grow into.

I find that a lot of people who are hung up on getting an SS bike for their first one are more image concious and less concerned with the actual numbers. The new GS500s look pretty slick, and would probably work out better for posing than an SV anyhow

I think the people who need the advice the most are the ones who are least likely to follow it, but that seems to be a common life theme.

Last edited by ancosta; 03-05-05 at 08:49 PM.
    Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Post that ENTIRE writeup at www.beginnerandbeyond.com!!

I hate to break it to you, but these are the most popular starter bikes

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Absolutely great post. I only started riding last June, but luckily I found writeups similar to yours to prevent me from buying an overpowered bike.

I can't agree more. I bought a 2004 NInja 250 and practiced in a parking lot for a few days before my MSF course. When I first gave her some gas, I twisted the throttle WAY too much. The bike flew off and scared the shit outta me. If that had been a 600 I woulda been on my ass and that bike would be 50 feet in front of me on it's side.

With about 3000 miles on the Ninja now I feel it was the perfect bike for a beginning rider. I plan on keeping it for another year until I get some cash to buy a 600.

I do agree with ancosta though about maybe explaining the differences between the starter bikes you mentioned - not to mention performance but also price.

Regardless, excellent post.

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

good stuff chris

Bras cause cancer.

Originally posted by RandyO
    [B]I hate to break it to you, but these are the most popular starter bikes
    those aren't bikes, there two wheeled leaf blowers.

they blow leaves and sand off to the side of the road while being operated at an incredibly slow speed.

jim

"Molon labe"

Originally posted by sandman
    those aren't bikes, there two wheeled leaf blowers.

they blow leaves and sand off to the side of the road while being operated at an incredibly slow speed.
    that may be, but it still don't change the facts, cruisers are more popular than sportbikes and something from Orange County Choppers is on more wish lists. the Harley sportster & Honda shadow are prolly the #1 choice for first bike

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Let the record show that I dissent.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

Very good advice, I'm a new rider. I started last June, on a Suzuki Marauder 800. It worked pretty well as a starting bike. I put about 5000 miles on it last year, and am now hooked. Mostly I commuted to work, and took day trips of 100-200 miles.
    I had the same experience as Ooter the first time I took it out of my driveway, too much throttle, dumped the clutch...hang on for dear life. I really am still amazed at the amount of power even an 800 cruiser possesses. Why couldn't I have waited one more week till the MSF course? Luckly I didn't crash, but I was in a pretty bad statistical category for about 10 minutes.

I rented a Harley while I was out in Vegas for a few days of touring the mountains of Utah, and I'm smitten with bike touring.
    I learned alot last year, and decided that cruisers really aren't my cup of tea. I'm too interested in touring, and am enamored of the handling of my friend's Concours, so I just recently purchased a 2002 Ducati ST4s. I really can't believe I own the thing, and am counting the days untill I can actually ride my new Italian beauty.
    Now I just have to sell my VZ800, before my wife divorces me.

I plan on taking the MSF Experienced rider course over the summer. I had such a good experience at the BRC, I'll likely go back every few years. Any other advice anyone can offer on moving to a more powerful bike, would be welcome. I'm a cautious, but not timid rider.

Originally posted by Hurtin
    ... so I just recently purchased a 2002 Ducati ST4s. I really can't believe I own the thing, and am counting the days untill I can actually ride my new Italian beauty.
    Welcome to the site as well as Ducati. I believe that you are the only Ducati ST owner on this site, though there are a few 998/748 owners, Monster owners (myself included) and an SS owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you seem to be related to nikon. so fuckyou too! go suck a cock./1
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

Originally posted by A996S
    Welcome to the site as well as Ducati. I believe that you are the only Ducati ST owner on this site, though there are a few 998/748 owners, Monster owners (myself included) and an SS owner.
    Duc106 has a ST He rides it a lot when it's not in the shop Or is that the 748

Yamaha

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Originally posted by RandyO
    that may be, but it still don't change the facts, cruisers are more popular than sportbikes and something from Orange County Choppers is on more wish lists. the Harley sportster & Honda shadow are prolly the #1 choice for first bike
    Randy. I think that is understood. However, there are a lot of people that come onto a sportbike site asking about getting a new bike. I don't think that Chris is focusing this toward just new riders but rather new sportbike riders. Most new sportbike riders are not going to be coming onto a sportbike forum asking about buying a harley. I know from what I have seen on ODFU that a lot of people go on there asking about getting a sportbike. I think that is the person Chris is directing this too, although much of what he is saying applies to all aspect of riding.

speaking of Harley's..."birth of the V-Rod" is on Discovery right now. Not a fan but I have a degree in business and this goes through everything we talked about in business classes. I actually had the professor buy a copy for class and he still uses it

Not a shabby little bike IMHO - i liked it when I rode it.

Bras cause cancer.

Lifer

Well the essay is pointless for the people buying Shadows and Sportsters as their first bike.

Those guys don't need to be told wheelies & 150mph ipod runs are bad, they need to be told a 6-pack and a ride don't go together.

Littering and........

Chris -

I think you did a nice job writing that all up, but as FireNutz says, its unfortunately likely a waste of time.

There seems to be an unspoken rule in the sportbike world that everything smaller than a 600cc bike sucks, and you are a pussy if you ride one.

I think the more accepting people become of smaller bikes, the less peer pressure there will be on beginning riders to buy the latest and greatest 600 from Japan.

Climbing off my soapbox now.

Originally posted by R7
    Duc106 has a ST He rides it a lot when it's not in the shop Or is that the 748
    Well I have never seen any posts by Duc106, so that is why I didn't think to include him/his bike.

Upon further inspection, according to his profile, he owns an ST2, 996S, and a 748S.

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you seem to be related to nikon. so fuckyou too! go suck a cock./1
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

Originally posted by Nikon
    I think that is the person Chris is directing this too, although much of what he is saying applies to all aspect of riding.

that Nikon, he's so smart and perceptive. i thought it was pretty clear from the introductory remarks I made that the whole thing was written with in the context of sportbikes (i.e. "what is the best 600cc bike to get", explain why a ZX-10, CBR1000 isn't a good first bike, etc)

-sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER

Re: feedback on newbie advice essay?

Originally posted by chr|s sedition
    In either event I wrote a really extensive "standard response" to the most standard question, "What is best 600cc bike for a new rider?".

-chris sedition

Getting ANY modern 600cc sport bike for a first ride is a bad idea (far, far, far worse is a 1000cc bike for a first ride.) In fact, it may be nothing more than an expensive form of suicide. Here are a few reasons why.
    I think my response was consistent with the theme of the essay. There was nothing I saw that encouraged a new rider to consider any one particular model/manufacturer of a 600cc class bike. In fact the premise of your argument discourages it as indicated by your above statement.

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

Hope you don't mind but I borrowed your write to post on another forum.

Originally posted by rjh200
    Hope you don't mind but I borrowed your write to post on another forum.
    HA! not at all. post it where ever!

-sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER

Bump

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Bump
    Post Whore?

I keed!

Or do I?

Last edited by ZX-12R; 05-22-07 at 03:14 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Thanks Chris!

...not original...but I like it...

You start with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill the former before you empty the latter.

And picking the right starter bike is the first step!

Dave

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast