Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FI Tuners/Tuneboy

FI Tuners/Tuneboy

Does anyone out there have experience using Tuneboy to remap? My new bike needs a remap and I have the chance to rent the tuneboy. THere is no PC for this bike yet, and I like what I read about the tuneboy anyway.
    It's not a piggyback system, but it actually replaces the stock map.

Any experiences or advice welcome.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Re: FI Tuners/Tuneboy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Does anyone out there have experience using Tuneboy to remap? My new bike needs a remap and I have the chance to rent the tuneboy. THere is no PC for this bike yet, and I like what I read about the tuneboy anyway.
    It's not a piggyback system, but it actually replaces the stock map.

Any experiences or advice welcome.
    i spent a LOT fo time making a custom map for my 02 daytona when i had it, with mostly very favorable results..
    glad to help in any way i can

Get out while you can

Find your own path

How much time will I need to get something reasonably good without a dyno? Which methods did you use most? A/F ratios? or percentages?

Is it east to get totally lost?

Paul_E_D

Can you poss get a previous map load it and then tune from there???

How much time will I need to get something reasonably good without a dyno? Which methods did you use most? A/F ratios? or percentages?

Is it east to get totally lost?
    honestly, a lot of my tuning was done by doing dyno runs with a/f graphs, and readjustment after the fact. If you use a wideband O2 sensor (with a laptop doing data logging in a backpack) and go out and ride, you can get a good map pretty easily that will work well for real world purposes.

Personally, i set all the ratios except the idle part of the map in tuneboy to just about 14.3 or so, so the ecu wasn't looking at the O2 sensor (except at idle). then i worked the actual fuel map to reflect the actual needs of the engine by usage of the dyno and a wideband O2 sensor that did narrow band emulation (innovate tech or something like that).
    Once my A/F was right (not creating any peaks or valleys in the grpah or wide swings of motion on the wideband display , and centered around 12.5:1) i smoothed and bumped the ignition timing from 1-5 degrees depending on the part of the map and smoothing to surrounding points.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Can you poss get a previous map load it and then tune from there???
    I've actually had some good results with taking a current map, massaging it gently and reloading to the bike.

it can be done over the web without riding or testing it, but it takes longer and it sounded like a temporary usage of the tuneboy..

aslo, did you pull your ecu serial number and get your unlock code yet?

Get out while you can

Find your own path

... My new bike needs a remap and I have the chance to rent the tuneboy.
    What's up with that?

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

What's up with that?

I put an exhaust on it and want to open the airbox a little. The bike was super corked up from the factory (even though it makes pretty good power). I know this is not necessary, but I've been riding highly tuned/responsive machines for a while now, and stock just doesn't feel good enough to me.

Anyway, cerebus, I was planning to start with the stock map and massage it using seat o' the pants testing. Do you think I can get anything good this way, or should I try to find a dyno? That adds considerably to the cost.

I didn't get the ICU number yet. Where do I get the code? I thought that came with the software?

Paul_E_D

What's up with that?

I put an exhaust on it and want to open the airbox a little. The bike was super corked up from the factory (even though it makes pretty good power). I know this is not necessary, but I've been riding highly tuned/responsive machines for a while now, and stock just doesn't feel good enough to me.

Anyway, cerebus, I was planning to start with the stock map and massage it using seat o' the pants testing. Do you think I can get anything good this way, or should I try to find a dyno? That adds considerably to the cost.

I didn't get the ICU number yet. Where do I get the code? I thought that came with the software?
    ok.. you need to do some reading there slick..
    TuneBoy Tutorials
    i haven't played with tunboy for over a year, but there is a command to pull the ecu serial and model numbers, send them off to tuneboy site or t595 site with your money (oh yeah this will cost you a pretty penny..) and you'll get back an unlock code so you can upload and download tunes to your ecu. without that code you can (depending on software and cable version) look at diagnostic info, and reset MILs, but thats it.
    Tune edit is really the part you are intersted in using, as that is the bit that does tune display/mod/up&download

i have no idea as to your tuning skills or your understanding of the process so i can only guess as to how well you can do at that, but yeah, i'd imagine you can do some real measurable/noticable good to the running.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

just out of curiosity, what model triumph do you have?

Get out while you can

Find your own path

No, I have a KTM. They have the cables etc. for my model. licensing is 129 bucks. I assume that covers the unlock code. I will be renting the equipment instead of buying it.

I've been looking at the tutorials. It does seem that dyno runs are best so you can see the spikes in the curves. This is my first FI bike, so my knowledge is limited. I understand jetting very well though. This doesn't seem all that tough, but that's why I'm asking around!

Paul_E_D

Oh yeah, where can I get some affordable dyno time in western MA?

Paul_E_D

No, I have a KTM. They have the cables etc. for my model. licensing is 129 bucks. I assume that covers the unlock code. I will be renting the equipment instead of buying it.

I've been looking at the tutorials. It does seem that dyno runs are best so you can see the spikes in the curves. This is my first FI bike, so my knowledge is limited. I understand jetting very well though. This doesn't seem all that tough, but that's why I'm asking around!
    if you understand jetting, then you understand tuning. FI is just infintely more easily adjusted.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

too bad youre so far, Paul. Out of Control Racing in Worc only charges like $30 for dyno time. super cool people.

Beta 200RR

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Paul, Forgive me if I am wrong, But from years or riding a GP bike you should be pretty good at figuring out what you want and have a better understanding of the concepts of tuning then Most of us. 2 stroke guys seem be tuning all the time

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Don Lemelin @ Scuderia West was helpful when we were sorting Paige's 690SM. He prefers you have your local service department contact his though. Might be some help in getting a baseline map? 415-621-7223 BTW, what'd you install for an exhaust?

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

I'd like a Tuneboy but my bike came with a PCIII and it's too much time, effort and money to switch. Who's cheap in Western MA for PCIII tuning?

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

I got an FMF Q4ti with the powerbomb header.

Thanks for the tip.

Paul_E_D

I have a TB for my 675 but I use maps that Dl from 675.net

The bike is not perfect but MUCH better than the TOR map.

2006 Red Triumph Daytona 675

Bumping a super old thread. Any definitive answer on who is the TuneBoy dyno guru in the area? I have a set of cams in my Speed Triple from TubeBoy and a decent map for a starting point, but it's got to get dialed in. I used Rob's at the end of last season but he's a liar and sucks at his job. Claimed years of experience with TuneBoy and opted to cut my O2 sensor out and tune with another program. I think I'll start a thread in that colossal fuck up of a job later. I'm having to put a new O2 sensor in the bike and get the ECU wiped and restored by the dealer. I can load the basic map for the cams myself but I really want to get it on a dyno and have someone who knows what the fuck they're doing finish the job.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

that sucks (but i'd like to read about it). i had a similar experience with A1 in Brookfield. 'yup, we got it covered' ... not really.

Beta 200RR

Well I guess an 8 year old thread is as good a place as any to air the dirty laundry.

I contacted Rob about tuning my S3, specifically asking him about his TuneBoy experience. He tells me he's been "working with Wayne" for years and also claims to be the North American distributor for TuneBoy. Wayne, for those who don't know, owns TuneBoy and designed the software. Well I should have vetted his claims with Wayne before I proceeded with the job.

Rob kept my bike for about 6 weeks. He kept claiming that he was having software problems with the TuneBoy software but was never very specific about it. He also claims that Wayne isn't giving him any support.

He ends up telling me he needs to use another program to tune and asks me if he can take the O2 sensor out. I consent. He calls me to come pick the bike up a couple weeks later and says it's finished. I show up and ride it and it's running fine. Over the next few days the bike runs worse and eventually won't even start.

I call Rob on it, he says bring it in with the caveat "if I find something mechanical wrong I'm going to have to charge you for it." What's really happened is without the O2 sensor in the bike doesn't know if it's rich or lean. The more I press Rob on the issue, the more indignant and defiant he becomes. If anyone has ever dealt with Rob, you know he's never dealt a smelly fart in his entire life- imagine trying to argue with him he fucked up a tune.

I don't see much about TuneBoy anymore now that TuneEcu is around. I had found that most people that want to dyno tune want you to have a Power Commander. I still have TuneBoy from my old Daytona but for just loading maps I use TuneEcu.

Jeff

I can't abide using TuneECU. The guy blatantly pirated Wayne's property and quite literally took food off that man's table as a result. If TuneBoy were a big multinational corporation making hundreds of millions of dollars, I'd care a lot less. Fact is it's Wayne and his wife and it's how he provides for his family.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I own the TuneBoy and unlock codes. I wasn't saying to use TuneEcu, I was just saying what I'm seeing out there. Most shops are DynoJet shops and want to use Power Commanders. Maybe this Wayne fellow can tell you where there is a decent dyno shop representing his product?

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast