Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

rear turn signal brightness

rear turn signal brightness

for anyone with experience: are ebay or other LED turn signals as bright as stock?

how are they during the day?

I finally found some used tail fairings on fleabay to replace mine (which the previous owner drilled and installed ghey "flushmounts") and I want to put some usable turn signals in the rear.

thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-02-09 at 01:02 AM.

Re: rear turn signal brightness

Normally it depends on how many LED's are in the signal itself. For daylight riding, regular bulbs are FAR brighter than MOST of the LED's out there. However; if you're able to find them, DMP and Lochart Philips make larger Arrow-Head shape lights that are just about AS bright as stock lights during the daytime.

At night, there's no comparison, LED's appear brighter, but mainly because they're directional and all the beam is focused straight ahead of the light.

They do make some very nice after-market bulb-style bulbs that are much smaller than stock-looking stalks and are just as bright.

Also, with LED's you need (NEED) to install a diode on the indicator bulb.

"Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

i use 5W LEDs from superbrightleds.com for the taillights on my bike. they're far brighter than the stock bulbs were.

BA15 5-Watt LED bulb
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR

make sure you order the same color as your lens, otherwise you'll lose some of the intensity when the light is filtered.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Quote Originally Posted by Danny500 View Post
    Also, with LED's you need (NEED) to install a diode
    on the indicator bulb.
    Did you mean one of the load equalizer packs they sell?

If so, that's not entirely accurate. With the electronic flasher (vs a load-based flasher) the flash pattern will be consistent regardless of load.

One of the reasons to go with LEDs vs incandescent is energy savings. The minute you add the load equalizer, which is a big resistor, you lose the energy savings and create a hot spot where ever you installed the load equalizer. For the same price or cheaper, you can get the electronic flasher at any auto parts store.

thanks for the response guys

I don't want to install LED bulbs in the stock turn signals, I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to replace aftermarket flushmounts (with incandescent bulbs) with LED aftermarket signals, or go back to the factory ones.

So my question is: are the aftermarket LED turn signals (full stalk, lens, and bulb) just as bright as the stock turn signals?

It really depends on the type of the LED used. I've found that most aftermarket all-in-one units are not as bright as incandescent bulbs, especially in direct sunlight.