Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Finished: Triumph Street Triple 955i into Sprint RS engine swap!

Cool Finished: Triumph Street Triple 955i into Sprint RS engine swap!

What a PITA, the dreaded crankshaft failure

YouTube - Triumph Street Triple 955i into Sprint RS Engine Swap

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Finished: Triumph Street Triple 955i into Sprint RS engine swap!

For the record, the Street Triple is a 675. The SPEED Triple would be the 955i.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

2002 Sprint RS, 2004 S3. It's the same engine... isn't it? 955i?

Is there a gear difference or something?

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    For the record, the Street Triple is a 675. The SPEED Triple would be the 955i.

--mark
    Oh you know what, I was busy watching Street Triple videos this morning, that's why I did that.

Nice review of F800R, F8 and Streety
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/9469...omparison.aspx

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 03-16-11 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    2002 Sprint RS, 2004 S3. It's the same engine... isn't it? 955i?

Is there a gear difference or something?
    Yah they are the same but interestingly the '04 S3 motor looks more upright when you look at them out of the bike. The gearing difference is that the sprocket is 18T vs. 19T and it makes a HUGE difference in town, much less clutching and much more maneuverable and responsive. Luckily the donor engine had one on there, I was able to stop order on an 18T I had ordered.

PS: I loaded that video on my journal, so nice to see that, he is in the same vein as my old housemate Lajos Silberstein a Duck and Alfa guy who can do just about anything. http://www.desmohio.com/index.php?op...atid=15&id=462

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com...mph-speed.html

C

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 03-16-11 at 02:12 PM.

Yes, 18 is fun in the front.

For my next chain, I'm considering going up 1 in the back too, just for even more fun around town.

I am completely confused... the editing of that video made no sense, and there wasn't enough of a story line to make me understand why you had to do that.

The Speed Triple 955i has different pistons, cam shafts, and throttle bodies in comparison to the Sprint 955i.

The Sprint ST and Tiger have the same 955i, the Daytona and Speed Trip have the more powerful 955i.

The Sprint and Tiger have a Sagem ST1000 ECU, and the Daytona and Speed Trip have a Keihin ECU.

The only parts you can direct swap from Tiger/Sprint to Daytona/Trip and Vice-a-Versa are lower engine parts, transmission and certain frame parts. Absolutely NOTHING from the top end is interchangeable.

The Sprint/Tiger 955i is rated at 104hp.... the Daytona/Speed 955i is rated at 120-140hp depending on the year.

Glad to see you got it done... but... the video doesn't do the actual work/success of the build justice...

Honestly... why begin and end with a spray-can??? Why on god's green earth are you walking us through a dealership????

That's the LEAST important part of the build.

Why not show... I dunno, the ACTUAL engine swap?

Last edited by AimlessMoto; 03-16-11 at 02:09 PM.
    "Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

Wow, talk about raining on a parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny500 View Post
    I am completely confused... the editing of that video made no sense, and there wasn't enough of a story line to make me understand why you had to do that.

Why on god's green earth are you walking us through a dealership????

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

The Speed Triple 955i has different pistons, cam shafts, and throttle bodies in comparison to the Sprint 955i.

The Sprint ST and Tiger have the same 955i, the Daytona and Speed Trip have the more powerful 955i.

The Sprint and Tiger have a Sagem ST1000 ECU, and the Daytona and Speed Trip have a Keihin ECU.

The only parts you can direct swap from Tiger/Sprint to Daytona/Trip and Vice-a-Versa are lower engine parts, transmission and certain frame parts. Absolutely NOTHING from the top end is interchangeable.

The Sprint/Tiger 955i is rated at 104hp.... the Daytona/Speed 955i is rated at 120-140hp depending on the year.

Glad to see you got it done... but... the video doesn't do the actual work/success of the build justice...

Honestly... why begin and end with a spray-can??? Why on god's green earth are you walking us through a dealership????

No. The Speedy and the Sprint had the same engine mate, at least at that time, with Sagem, plug and play and I had a gen2 engine in mine 118 hp I believe. Of course a tad more with the Powermax exhaust. She smells a tad rich but I will check that with a tuneboy soon and video that experience.

Also the brackets for the throttle bodies are interchangeable because the one from the donor bike was busted so they used mine.

The spray can was supposed to make you wonder WTF... it's called a teaser. So you were less than thrilled, can't please everybody, the dealer liked it, whatever.

There was a shattered crankshaft, I've told that story over the course of time in several other videos, sorry you were not aware of that.

I was not allowed to show the swap because of insurance reasons, I got away with a quick shot of the shop without pissing off the owner too much and plan to do a full video with them later this season so I did what I could with what I had.

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 03-16-11 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Wow, talk about raining on a parade.
    I just don't get it!!!!!

The video has NOTHING to do with the build!!!!!

I'm definitely glad to hear that you CAN do that swap... I've found a few old Daytona wrecks in the past that I always thing... "Can I swap that into the Tiger?"

Honestly, it's the most efficient way to gain 30hp, and to also have a good base for more performance based tuning down the road...

I really do applaud the effort and the final product!!!!

But, that video does NOTHING to stir the imagination of the build... I'm sorry, just kinda expected a build vid...

Quote Originally Posted by KingCast 650R View Post
    The spray can was supposed to make you wonder WTF... it's called a teaser. So you were less than thrilled, can't please everybody, the dealer liked it, whatever.

There was a shattered crankshaft, I've told that story over the course of time in several other videos, sorry you were not aware of that.

I was not allowed to show the swap because of insurance reasons, I got away with a quick shot of the shop without pissing off the owner too much and plan to do a full video with them later this season so I did what I could with what I had.
    Oh... well, I guess you lost the tease on me.

For someone who owns a Triumph, and loves the 955i... and someone who had no prior knowledge of your issues/build/bike... I was expecting something different is all. So, I feel like most people will be in my shoes when viewing.

Again, great job... the bike sounds amazing, and it must be a THRILL to have a comfy touring bike with some serious HP in it now!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I explained why not in response to the other bloke's question. Will show the tuneboy experience later as I can do that at my friend's private shop, he used to be a mechanic at the shop that did the swap.

Oh... well, I guess you lost the tease on me.

For someone who owns a Triumph, and loves the 955i... and someone who had no prior knowledge of your issues/build/bike... I was expecting something different is all. So, I feel like most people will be in my shoes when viewing.

Again, great job... the bike sounds amazing, and it must be a THRILL to have a comfy touring bike with some serious HP in it now!!
    Sorry about the confusion. Bike has the same power but runs out better because of the 18T sprocket. Tuneboy video coming when my wallet recovers from this near $2K hit.

Here is your background
    YouTube - Triumph Sprint ST Shattered Crank failure

I just don't get it!!!!!

The video has NOTHING to do with the build!!!!!

I'm definitely glad to hear that you CAN do that swap... I've found a few old Daytona wrecks in the past that I always thing... "Can I swap that into the Tiger?"

Honestly, it's the most efficient way to gain 30hp, and to also have a good base for more performance based tuning down the road...
    Oh believe me I have gone through all of that and almost did the Daytona but there are some exhaust issues you need to sort out that is the major fabrication. From what I understand you lose nothing down low or in the middle just gain on top end. Goodness knows I do NOT need any more top end because I will use it.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCast 650R View Post
    Sorry about the confusion. Bike has the same power but runs out better because of the 18T sprocket. Tuneboy video coming when my wallet recovers from this near $2K hit.

Here is your background
    YouTube - Triumph Sprint ST Shattered Crank failure
    Thank you kind sir!

I don't think it's the 18t sprocket that makes it "run" better... do you feel it has more power? Or is it running smoother mechanically?

My 955i is running aweful because the Throttle Position Sensor has gone bad. When I plug it into TuneECU the RPM should be steady and the AF map's highlighted box should not move...

My idle RPM wanders like crazy and the AF highlight box moves up and down about 3-4 squares.

I actually went down on my rear sprocket, from a 48 to a 45. Seems to be MUCH more tame on the highway. 70mph is about 3750rpm. Used to be 4100rpm.

Thank you kind sir!

I don't think it's the 18t sprocket that makes it "run" better... do you feel it has more power? Or is it running smoother mechanically?

My 955i is running aweful because the Throttle Position Sensor has gone bad. When I plug it into TuneECU the RPM should be steady and the AF map's highlighted box should not move...

My idle RPM wanders like crazy and the AF highlight box moves up and down about 3-4 squares.

I actually went down on my rear sprocket, from a 48 to a 45. Seems to be MUCH more tame on the highway. 70mph is about 3750rpm. Used to be 4100rpm.
    Yah I know TPS can be a problem, always keep a little chingy on the side for that pitfall. Yes if you go down a tooth on the rear it will give it longer legs. If you go down a tooth in the front it will give you more beans when you hit the gas!

And vice versa!

Your Tiger is geared totally differently than the ST, believe me the ST with a 19T front is a PITA for city riding mate. Clutch, clutch, clutch...... and less sprightly when you dig into it. Now I am thinking of an excuse to finish a project and take a quick ride..... I was out and about in the moonlight last evening, saw all kinds of purty things, yah.
    YouTube - A Triumphant Full Moon in Boston.