Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More Fishtail pics...

More Fishtail pics...

Lets get some FEEDBACK going peeps....

What am I looking at?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Re: More Fishtail pics...

look like ur helmet wants to come off

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRNZ View Post
    look like ur helmet wants to come off

toooo manyyyy GGGGGGG'S

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

Helmet fits fine. Lets get some USEFUL feedback...should have been more specific I guess....

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

unfreeze your upper body.

I'm no racer, or expert by any means, but shouldn't your head be out over the clip-ons on more? Isn't the head supposed to be out with the shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    unfreeze your upper body.
    i can't.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Loosen up your arms.

Everything you want to acheive in the name of smoothness is located in your legs. Grip with your outside leg in turns instead of trying to transfer that into the handle bars. It's very obvious you have a good amount of arm-input that you're utilizing to keep yourself positioned on the bike. It's unnecessary to do that.

You should have the sensation of being able to take your hands away from the bars. Don't actually do that, just try to acheive that feeling.

Once you get comfortable with that, dip your inside shoulder down more once you're in the turn.

You hold the throttle funny?

Boston --> San Diego

Sweet pics. I worked that trackday (checking in people in the morning at the gate and then cornerworking in the treehouse) and remember seeing your bike out there (and the suit - notable!). I thought you were looking good (and definitely faster than me . . . I was in the same group as you, in black leathers and also on a 749s with black bodywork.)

Gotta love photos, tho - they don't lie. I'm with Schleppy in thinking your chin should be inside more in each pic . . . your chin seems to line up with the fairing rather than getting it outside the fairing (toward the inside of the turn). I notice only b/c I do the same thing and it always shows up in photos and videos of me - body gets off but good, but that damn chin stays in.

Like I said, you were faster than I am, so don't feel you have to take my advice!! But my body positioning in pics is similar.

'15 MV Agusta F3
    '08 Hyper 1100s

Talking Re: More Fishtail pics...

The tag on your leathers was inspiring all sorts of leatherwork for other people, by the way!!

'15 MV Agusta F3
    '08 Hyper 1100s

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    You hold the throttle funny?
    Discuss.

No, Seriously....discuss.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

OK...I know my upper body is "crossed up" and my head needs to get down and out.....but despite being told it a hundred diff ways i am not doing it. I don't know why.....I'm stumped.....

I kind of feel like figuring out this detail will really make a huge change in my riding, getting input from the bike etc.....

Who has had this problem and how do I fix it one step at a time.....

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Discuss.

No, Seriously....discuss.
    - You don't seem to be holding entire grip
    - You seem to have wrist angled out to the side therefore turning the throttle from a more side angle

Just 'looks funny'

Compare:

Everybody does stuff a lil different, just that's the one thing that really popped out to me. You asked so I said.

Last edited by a13x; 09-09-08 at 10:29 AM.
    Boston --> San Diego

OK...I know my upper body is "crossed up" and my head needs to get down and out.....but despite being told it a hundred diff ways i am not doing it. I don't know why.....I'm stumped.....

I kind of feel like figuring out this detail will really make a huge change in my riding, getting input from the bike etc.....

I had the same crossed-up problem. My solution was to grab Ken C. and tell him to fix it... No, serioulsy.

I was sitting up to high (much like you are). I needed my arms to support my body in that position. I "couldn't" move my upper body because it took away my support on the bike. Basically I was holding onto the bike with my arms and not supporting my weight with my legs.

Ken had me get on a bike and get into my normal riding position. From there he poked and prodded a little bit. Basically he helped manipulate me into a more natural and "correct" position.

The first step was to drop my inside shoulder. I had to consciously remember to do this for a few sessions. Once I could consistently drop my shoulder to the inside, the rest of it came together. It also forced me to learn how to hold on with the outside leg and foot. It opened a whole new chapter of progress for me. I have become much more comfortable, and much faster. Another benefit is that I become fatigued much less quickly.

Oh, and one more thing...

STOP LOOKING AT THE CAMERA!!!

Manny I do the same thing in the early part of the bowl.
    Partly because I have gone down there and I have
    a muscle memory that tenses me as I enter.
    The tendency is to hold yourself up with your arms and shoulders.

My solution? Go slower. See if at 60% speed if you can relax
    the outside shoulder. Then try to almost rest your outside forearm on to the
    tank that will give the "space" to move your head more.
    I still do tense up again as I wick it up but ya gotta start somewhere
    and work from what you can do right.

2008 Honda CBR 600RR

Quote Originally Posted by akira700 View Post
    Manny I do the same thing in the early part of the bowl.
    Partly because I have gone down there and I have
    a muscle memory that tenses me as I enter.
    The tendency is to hold yourself up with your arms and shoulders.

My solution? Go slower. See if at 60% speed if you can relax
    the outside shoulder. Then try to almost rest your outside forearm on to the
    tank that will give the "space" to move your head more.
    I still do tense up again as I wick it up but ya gotta start somewhere
    and work from what you can do right.
    The bowl for sure plays tricks on the mind!

I think I look the most "crossed up" there but better in 3 and 2. My goal of my 2 sept track days will be to work on this issue.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

When you go to lean off of the bike, move your whole body in a single plane instead of your hips or shoulders moving independantly. One thing that helps this is to use your midsection to assist your legs in gripping the bike instead of your arms/upper body. This will allow you to be very light on the bars and will give you much better body positioning in the turns.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

I've told you about 20 times pal, loosen up. Until you relax, you won't be able to do any of the above things mentioned by others. I'm still working to relax more too.

Loosen up...

Do this ->

Last edited by Crash Dummy Denno; 09-09-08 at 08:59 AM.
    Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

It's always tough to look at a photo (opposed to video) because you're only seeing one moment of time.

As said in many threads though... everyone is a little different in their body position. I ride in about the same position as you. It is very uncomfortable for me to hang my head way down, so I worry only about my neck down.

I try to ensure that all of my spine is on the inside of the bike... and only my head is "crossed up".

However, the thing that is not subjective is being loose and relaxed... but again that's hard to tell from a photo. The rider must ultimately tell if he is loose and the no bullshit test is to "flap" your inner elbow mid corner.

If you can move your elbows up and down midcorner and the bike doesn't wiggle... then you're loose. Otherwise the flapping would cause minor steering corrections.

Not recommending it, but you'll see photos of our instructors almost knee down with inner hand off bar pointing. That is real proof that the rider is not stiff on the bar.

As for your grip on the throttle, that is another personal choice. Many riders say they have finer throttle control holding the bar like you do. If your hand straight onto the bar, you have to move your wrist up and down to open/close the throttle. If you come onto the throttle from the angle like you do, it's more of a rotation of the wrist...not up and down.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    - You don't seem to be holding entire grip
    - You seem to have wrist angled out to the side therefore turning the throttle from a more side angle
    I think this just works for me because of the length of my arms (long). Also, not holding the throttle full on allows me to stay loose on it and the bars in general. Not sure its working, but it feels OK. I will think about it nest TD for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    STOP LOOKING AT THE CAMERA!!!
    He was looking right at me, its rude not to look back!

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Dummy Denno View Post
    I've told you about 20 times pal, loosen up. Until you relax, you won't be able to do any of the above things mentioned by others. I'm still working to relax more too.

Loosen up...

Do this ->
    +1. Im just not loose I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post

As for your grip on the throttle, that is another personal choice. Many riders say they have finer throttle control holding the bar like you do. If your hand straight onto the bar, you have to move your wrist up and down to open/close the throttle. If you come onto the throttle from the angle like you do, it's more of a rotation of the wrist...not up and down.
    I think this is where I stand on the issue. Its more comfortable and kind of just works for me.

And now a little story: When I was at VIR a couple of years back the instructor I was working with came over to me at lunch and said "so when did you have the surgery?" I was like what? So he goes, "you are so stiff I just assumed you had back surgery recently".

I guess old habits die hard.....

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I think it's rude for you to display all those "sponsers" on your leathers when your not making a dime from them. You should have your secretary look into this as soon as possible. I for one have a long standing realationship with most of those you are claiming to "represent" or there for claiming to "represent" by having them on your persons. I demand you remove them now or face serious consiquences. Between me and you if you buy me a case of domestic beer we can forget i have ever seen the infraction. Plus i have a molar on the left side of my face that needs some attention. Theres one more demand i can't think of right now but i will get back to you...you can count on it.

1993 Honda CBR900RR
    1990 Suzuki GSXR1100
    1992 Kawasaki ZX750
    1996 Honda F3 Trackbike

One thing at a time...next time out - you've already got your lower body going in the right direction. Try working on supporting your upper body with the inside of your elbow on the gas tank. The rest of your upper body will follow suit once you get comfortable with your elbow on the tank. My 2 cents, nothing more.

Buy some better footpegs, the stock ones don't bite for shit. I like Woodcraft, but you may need something adjustable where as you look a little big (cramped?) on the bike. You may get a little more relaxed on the bike if you stretch before sessions, that and some Advil go a long way for me.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Owens Racing Photos - Pick Your Photos
    I found that Picture Tony. I have no idea who that is What and idiot..

I tell people all the time to sing that stupid chicken dance song. You know the part when you flap your arms. Na na na na naaaa. On the track I will flap my arms mid corner just to show them how loose on the bars you can be. Afterwards they usually hunt me down and start laughing and mention that you looked like a chicken. I asked whey were you laughing at me they usually reply "You looked so funny. I started laughing and from that point I had that image of you flapping you arms and I was much more relaxed. That was some of the best laps I had ever done." My job was done.

Gripping the bars. I tend to tell myself to make a circle around the grips with my thumb and other finger (one at a time) and try not to have this circle touch the grips. Let the bars float in-between the circle.

Upper Body. 1st try to bike the inside fork tube. Later on A la Jamie, Bite the inside bar/grip.

Another way to look at body position in to get you head-spine and but all in line with the inside fork tube.

Feel the tank with your fore arms. This is also a gauge. If you feel any movement/pressure moving back and forth on your arms you are applying unneeded pressure on the bars. Once you have that turn set (muscle memory) you do not add any more bar input. It is throttle control, weighting the outside peg and pushing the outside leg into the tank that is going to finish things up for you.
    You seem a little apprehensive getting that knee out there. Believe me I was too. I now use it as a gauge. Let it swing out a little. This may have some part with your upper body getting twisted.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast