Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

FNG type of question

FNG type of question

Ok so a frind of mine got a 99 Honda Superhawk home last night, its like a 996 and a twin. So he started it up and it sounded pretty weird and neither of us is too familiar with the sounds a twin should make. At any rate, this high pitched sound, almost like a smurf getting stepped on, occurs with every time the pistons fire?

I was wondering if it might be starving for air? Is that like a whistling sound from the intake system? Any ideas? Should a 1 liter twin sound funny like that? At idle speeds its kind of annoying, not like that pleasant whining from my 600 when she's revving around 12k rpm's.
    I think it is probably ok, since he ripped me a new asshole when we lined it up side by side with my RF. It just seemed odd to be that loud when we were sitting there at idle.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Bikeless Prick

FNG type of question

Brent... did you try to blow out the pipes? Get some KY Jelly or Astroglide, smear the edge of the pipe, wrap lips around end and exhale hard and deep. That should clear it out. Make sure to NOT do this if the bike has been running.

Now, I'm not sure if this will work on not, but I saw Stoneman doing it to his bike! :o

Rich

FNG type of question

rich, are you sure it wasn't JC? maybe he was standing behind the bike, so you were confused...

from what i hear, that's the more likely scenario...
    -t

[Edited on 4/19/02 by twrayinma]

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Bikeless Prick

FNG type of question

Well, ya know those twins have dual exhaust, I thought I saw another head bouncing back and forth on the othe side of the bike! :o

Rich

FNG type of question

oooh ouch. that hurts from someone tossing their bike to the side like it dont matter or something.

You know that smurf thing i mentioned, i heard those tractor boys from the woods of center barnstead liked the midgets... but i didn;t know the blue ones were that popular. maybe the high pitched sound was from back pressure in the little blue guys balls at the other end of those pipes.

Luv ya!!!
    HA

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

FNG type of question

cool deal, i had a hard time leaving you a serious message when i heard your greeting, that was some pretty funny shit. we will just wait and see what words come from NH now.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Bikeless Prick

FNG type of question

I just spoke to Kim via land line. I mentioned your post. I'm sure she'll check it out and let ya know what she thinks.

By the way... low shot about that tossing the bike aside thing... If only I didn't have to.... I just can't afford both the 929 and the Harley. Can only keep one!

Rich

FNG type of question

Rich: dont take it personally mang! I still luv ya!. Hey you should try what i did, get a beat up old starter bike and fix it up to suit ya, i will probably keep getting smoked in the speed department for a bit, but it looks hot so i can still be a squid and do the pimpin shit.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

FNG type of question

Rich if you are looking for a beater bike I have a 80 GS 1100 bored out to 1200 cc bike is faster than shit, In a straight line,, doesn't stop worth a shit, but in a flat out drag race is a tough bike to beat,, You can ride it home for $850 Tires and chain are all good

Bikeless Prick

FNG type of question

Ya, that's what I was thinkin' too!

Rich