Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Friendly 2007 reminder.

Friendly 2007 reminder.

Friendly reminder to wear your gear (not that this crowd doesn't know already). Was posting this on another forum for a guy who works at a dealership and wanted some real life testimonials to share with squids and convince them to buy proper riding clothes. Thought worth sharing/reminding

---------
    CycleForums - I just got out of Hospital. What now?

See the above thread link to read my story back from a few years ago.

If it wasn't for the gear I was wearing I'd be dead a few ways.

1) Helmet - Back of my head would have been smashed
    2) Arm - Docs said my arm would have been basically torn off if it wasn't for the strength of the material my jacket was built out of. As it was you can see the huge tear my armpit suffered and I came about 2 millimeters away from having my major artery severed = death or amputation

I don't care if you live in Vegas or not. The Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket I was wearing was about as hot as wearing at tshirt (which I used to ride in alot). I'd wear it in Boston stuck in traffic on 100 degree days all the time.

I did get minour road rash where jacket rode up (lower back) but you can clearly see how much worse it would have been. Not to mention the tears to the foam padding are better than missing chunks of flesh.

Also note: Under the 'a' sticker on the back of my helmet is a vertical slash. That slash is actually a 4mm deep gouge into the shell of the lid.

- My gloves were beat up. Tons of rash, tearing to the leather, and the carbon fiber knuckle and wrist shields were ground down and in some cases dented

- My construction boots were gouged as well and suffered lots of abrasion

I was hit by a drunk driver, from behind, with absolutely no warning. I was going 35mph.

Hope it helps. Use the pics all you want.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Boston --> San Diego

Friendly 2007 reminder.

youch.

I just may toss my Phoenix jacket in the trash. Nah, I'll use it for dual-sporting.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Lifer

Friendly 2007 reminder.

I like that belt.

Do you still shave your pits?

I used to be a retard when i started riding, T-shirt and sunglasses. Now i can't leave the driveway without a jacket, helmet and gauntlet gloves.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Friendly 2007 reminder.

All it takes is once...............

Friendly 2007 reminder.

Thanks, but I have all the reminder I need right now

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Friendly 2007 reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    I like that belt.

Do you still shave your pits?
    Oh that came along with my $xx,xxx hospital visit! Great service and features at that Spa.. hah.

The belt was mint. My g/f got me another one to replace it afterwards, it's exact copy. Alas that one too is long gone.

Boston --> San Diego

Friendly 2007 reminder.

ouch...sorry to hear that

I think these early season reminders are necessary. Thanks for sharing your tough tale...

Lifer

Friendly 2007 reminder.

How did you fall to rip up your pit like that?

Pretty unique damage to the jacket.. did you end up sending it back to the manufacturer or anything like that?

Friendly 2007 reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by benVFR View Post
    How did you fall to rip up your pit like that?

Pretty unique damage to the jacket.. did you end up sending it back to the manufacturer or anything like that?

Ah in Pic #2. The jacket was cut off me by the EMT's, hence the weird slices.

As far as ripping my armpit off. I was hit from behind and my bike shot out from between my legs and I feel backwards. Imagine slipping on a banana peel , the classic movie style. I fell backwards and landing primarily on my left hand / arm (hence massive bruising and swelling). My arm then rocketed over my head as the rest of my body hit the ground at such a high rate of speed it literally tore the skin apart.

My buddy who was riding with me at the time (wasn't hit) said that it looked like someone took a butcher knife and whacked me in the pit.

This happened in 2004 btw.

Boston --> San Diego

Friendly 2007 reminder.

Wow holy crap, glad you're still here. I show threads like this to my friends all the time who don't wear gear (Non NESR peeps). They just shrug it off saying it wont happen to them. I dont even bother to further debate at that point because it's like talking to a brick wall.

I guess I value my skin/limbs more then them.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Friendly 2007 reminder.

those phoenix jackets dont necessarily keep you cool but allow you sweat and then allow the wind to pass through and cool you. something leather doesnt do

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

01cbr929rr

Friendly 2007 reminder.

I dumped my 86zx1000 when a guy decided to take a left-hand turn, in front of me at the last minute. I flew over the car for about (what I thought was forever...) and landed safely on my feet, wearing a Joe Rocket jacket,jeans,gloves,helmet and ankle boots. Almost a year latter, My hand and sholder still don't feel right. Thanks for the post. Once you have dumped, you never want to do it again. Know matter what temp. it is outside, I will never ride without protective gear.