Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

States Most and Least Friendly to Motorists?

I like my cool old bike. Ericthejet's Avatar

States Most and Least Friendly to Motorists?

From TTAC,

"The National Motorists Association (NMA) yesterday rated all fifty states based on their friendliness toward the motoring public. By analyzing laws and speed trap patterns, the group measured each state’s dependence on the motoring public as a source of state and local revenue. ”It is not exactly a well kept secret that many traffic laws, enforcement practices and traffic courts are more about generating revenue and political posturing than they are about traffic safety,” NMA President Jim Baxter said in a statement. “During holidays, like the upcoming Memorial Day weekend, we’re bombarded with messages about intensified enforcement, ‘click it or ticket,’ and horrendous fines when in fact most vacation-related traffic accidents are caused my inattention, distraction and fatigue. However, these are accident causes that don’t generate much in the way of government revenue, so instead our highways are overrun with unmarked police cars and ticket cameras.” The following were the top-ten worst states from the motorist’s perspective:

New Jersey
    Ohio
    Maryland
    Louisiana
    New York
    Illinois
    Delaware
    Virginia
    Washington
    Massachusetts
    New Jersey was singled out for being the first to create a “driver responsibility” speeding ticket tax that generated more than $1 billion in profit since 1994. In 2007, a New Jersey judge imprisoned a motorist for a full month over traffic infractions the man did not commit. A New Jersey appellate court convicted a man who was asleep in a legally parked truck of “driving” under the influence of alcohol (DUI). State lawmakers even considered legislation that would have made it a crime to give the finger to another motorist.

“With its toll roads, roadblocks, and speed traps, New Jersey has left almost no stone unturned when it comes to extracting cash from motorists,” NMA explained. “The state has also recently pushed through a red-light camera pilot project at a time when many states are banning the ticket cameras because they’ve proven to have a negative effect on traffic safety.”

The group’s calculation also weighed the number of of speed traps listed on the Speed Trap Exchange website on a per capita basis. Judicial fairness was factored in by considering the availability of jury trials and trials by declaration for traffic offenses or whether mayor’s courts were allowed. The list then considered whether each state had enacted punitive “feel-good” statutes such as primary seatbelt laws, helmet laws, move-over laws and cell-phone bans.

“The long-term solution to aligning legitimate public interests with government policies is to remove the money from traffic regulation, enforcement and adjudication,” Baxter said. “Until that happens, the focus on revenue generation will continue to trump effective traffic regulation and ethical enforcement practices.”

The five states where motorists will find the most fair treatment are Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska and Kentucky."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13057/488; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Most friendly= lest people. They can't put a revinue generating system in place. Jersy does suck though. They deserve the top spot. I am surprised CT didn't make the list.

Re: States Most and Least Friendly to Motorists?

RI's way of staying off that list is to leave the roads in such disrepair that drivers CAN'T possibly speed, henceforth speeding tickets can not be handed out.

Another reason to hate New Jersey.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

i am also surprised CT didn't make that list.

i got a huge ticket in nebrasfa for going 12 over pulled me over and wrote me up for everything he possibly could. guy looked like jackie gleason from smokie and the bandit

Last edited by wheelburns; 05-21-09 at 11:56 AM.
    the most important choice in life is if you want to be a tigger or a eeyore

it'd be better to just drop the bullshit and just increase taxes. at least that way it'd be fair. the least effective way of behavior-control is when punishment appears random and unjustified to the perpetrator (how many times you speed vs. how many times you've gotten a speeding ticket).

what really sucks is MA insurance-point system. $100-$200 in speeding fines is literally less than 10% of the total incurred cost. the state should just ban insurance companies from jacking up rates based on pointless violations, increase the highway speed limits to 70mph (cuz everyone does it anyway), and then increase their own (the state's) fines. it's win-win for everyone but the insurance companies.

would you speed if you knew that when you got caught you'd receive a $700 ticket for going 90 in an 80mph zone? i'd sure as hell be less likely to speed.

solution:
    get rid of insurance point system
    increase 55mph speed limits to 70mph, 65 to 80mph
    increase ticket fines to $800-900 for going 5 over

Last edited by spicy; 05-21-09 at 12:22 PM.

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Hahahaha eliminate insurance's ability to increase rates? Hahahahahaha

That's funny

I agree 100% but the truth is someone somewhere is getting handed a lot of money from these insurance companies and they sure as hell do not want that to stop. I

I see no other way that its right for them to be able to literally extort money from us like this. they say that the bad drivers pay so that the good drivers can get discounts but truth is there are no good drivers in MA. Especailly seeing as how the new point system can screw you over for up to 7 years now.

They can suspend your points after 3 years of good driving but one ticket will bring back every point from the previous 7 years. Its a joke and besides the companies themselves there are some politicians with some very nice retirement plans thanks to the ins in this state.

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by spicy View Post

would you speed if you knew that when you got caught you'd receive a $700 ticket for going 90 in an 80mph zone? i'd sure as hell be less likely to speed.

hell no but if i do i would not stop for anyone.

edit: i take this back

Last edited by Kham; 05-21-09 at 02:21 PM.
    "fuckit!"

Everybody to the limit!

Where are these 80mph zones you speak of?

I Dance With Will

not surprise fuckin mass made the list.

the real organize crime that no one can fight. if i was making big, this would be a pocket change.

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by spicy View Post
    it'd be better to just drop the bullshit and just increase taxes. at least that way it'd be fair. the least effective way of behavior-control is when punishment appears random and unjustified to the perpetrator (how many times you speed vs. how many times you've gotten a speeding ticket).

what really sucks is MA insurance-point system. $100-$200 in speeding fines is literally less than 10% of the total incurred cost. the state should just ban insurance companies from jacking up rates based on pointless violations, increase the highway speed limits to 70mph (cuz everyone does it anyway), and then increase their own (the state's) fines. it's win-win for everyone but the insurance companies.

solution:
    get rid of insurance point system
    increase 55mph speed limits to 70mph, 65 to 80mph
    increase ticket fines to $800-900 for going 5 over
    are you on drugs?!

i run now never mind facing 700 dollar fines

you made me laugh and i thank you

the most important choice in life is if you want to be a tigger or a eeyore

Post Re: States Most and Least Friendly to Motorists?

MA should be higher

Sladic aka Slush
    K7 GSX-R 600 - STOLEN JULY 16th 2012

i agree people arent gonna stop speeding their just gonna attempt to run if the fees are raised to those levels.