Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is the FZ1 a good bike?

Hypertarded

Re: Is the FZ1 a good bike?

for those who avoid CL... $$kinda high...
    2004 yamaha fz1 for sale - $5,000 (Seekonk)
    https://providence.craigslist.org/mc...604780697.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    The yellow/black in Ithaca looks all stock and minty, but 330 miles away.
    In my experience, the more stock something is, the less problems it usually has. Plus I just seem to enjoy stock bikes these days

I might be nostalgic after buying an anniversary edition XSR900, but I'd easily drive 330 miles to pickup that Fz1 if a call to the seller left me with good vibes (and possibly a lower price)! I don't care if it's not officially an anniversary edition, that color scheme gets attention!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    In my experience, the more stock something is, the less problems it usually has. Plus I just seem to enjoy stock bikes these days

I might be nostalgic after buying an anniversary edition XSR900, but I'd easily drive 330 miles to pickup that Fz1 if a call to the seller left me with good vibes (and possibly a lower price)! I don't care if it's not officially an anniversary edition, that color scheme gets attention!
    Given the Cape traffic these days, what with the bridge work, it might be easier for me to drive to Ithaca than to Chatham.

And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

I’m shocked there are still this many Gen 1 FZ1s around. Someone near masebesic owns one but I can’t recall ever seeing another or one for sale beside one up in Loudon.

The gen2 red and white scheme is kiiiiiiller. Same colors as the R1 I bought.

Is the FZ1 a good bike?-03d68b89-2a54-47e3-a247-4eae55828e71

How’s the low to mid range on these?

Your park avenue leads to..

Given the Cape traffic these days, what with the bridge work, it might be easier for me to drive to Ithaca than to Chatham.
    That traffic could really suck when I used to go to the cape every weekend. I cant even imagine what it's like now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    The gen2 red and white scheme is kiiiiiiller. Same colors as the R1 I bought.

How’s the low to mid range on these?
    I dont think they brought the red/white scheme to the US?

Low to mid range is not on par with a v-twin... similar to most if not all Yamaha inline 4s these like to rev. At least the 2nd gen I had.

That traffic could really suck when I used to go to the cape every weekend. I cant even imagine what it's like now.
    they are working on bridge expansion joints currently...i was just down there yesterday to check on one of my jobs under construction near the bourne bridge rotary and main street was backed up bad...stay away

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    they are working on bridge expansion joints currently...i was just down there yesterday to check on one of my jobs under construction near the bourne bridge rotary and main street was backed up bad...stay away
    Check this article in the CC Times about the bridge work and traffic.
    https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/n...c/70096797007/

Also, search FB for this group:
    Drivers of Cape Cod (The Original)

MY FZ1 plan, as mentioned, is wait and see. I'm going to pay off Kia (effing) Finance before the end of the month. Then recover and keep shopping.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Check this article in the CC Times about the bridge work and traffic.
    https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/n...c/70096797007/

Also, search FB for this group:
    Drivers of Cape Cod (The Original)

MY FZ1 plan, as mentioned, is wait and see. I'm going to pay off Kia (effing) Finance before the end of the month. Then recover and keep shopping.
    paywall on the article

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    paywall on the article
    I got one of those 6 months for a dollar trials, always interesting articles from CC Times. I'll copy and paste the article here. Basically residents cant get to/from their homes thanks to the traffic.
    =======================

'This was a mistake.' Snarled traffic with Sagamore Bridge repairs confound drivers
    Zane Razzaq
    Cape Cod Times

SAGAMORE — Mashpee resident John Corliss realized the error of his ways when he wound up stuck in traffic Monday on a residential street in the shadow of the Sagamore Bridge.
    Corliss was among the drivers inching toward a stop sign at the end of Adams Street. Some reported spending at least 30 minutes in the long line of cars traveling at what was for some an infuriating crawl.
    When asked if he had time for an interview, Corliss said from his driver's seat that he’d been creeping along the bumper-to-bumper traffic and “wasn’t going anywhere.” He was headed off-Cape to visit a friend.
    “This was a mistake,” Corliss said.
    Mashpee resident John Corliss realized the error of his ways when he wound up stuck in traffic Monday on a residential street in the shadow of the Sagamore Bridge in Sagamore. Traffic has become a nightmare for many due to bridge repairs that are expected to end by Memorial Day.
    With the Sagamore Bridge — one of two bridges that serve as the link for vehicles between Cape Cod and the mainland — down to a single 12-foot-wide lane in each direction due to repairs, traffic has become a nightmare, drivers have reported.
    Motorists suffer hours in a miles-long backup on Route 6 before even catching a glimpse of the 88-year-old landmark. The traffic has rippled across town, gumming up neighborhoods and hurting businesses.
    The repairs are expected to end by Memorial Day.
    But Adams Street has emerged as the epicenter. The short, one-way road allows drivers — in theory — to make two quick turns and begin their approach to the Sagamore Bridge, on their way to the mainland.
    There's no escape route, though, once a driver is on Adams Street, and the street has become clogged with drivers looking to bypass the equally jammed Route 6 approach.
    Residents on Adams Street in Sagamore wonder when they can go the grocery story.
    “It’s been horrendous. We’re locked up all the way down the street here,” said Joshua Wheeden on Monday as he played ball with his three children in their Adams Street yard.
    The traffic blocked Wheeden's driveway. He wondered when he could go to the grocery store.
    "We’re locked up all the way down the street here,” said Joshua Wheeden on Monday as he played ball with his three children in their Adams Street backyard in Sagamore. The traffic from the Sagamore Bridge repairs blocked Wheeden's driveway. He wondered when he could go to the grocery store.
    Angry exchanges between drivers have broken out, he said. Cars bump into each other. His wife Justina easily spends 15 minutes creeping along the street just to pull in the driveway.
    “Last night the traffic was going until 10 o’clock,” she said.
    Adams Street resident asks why local traffic and emergency vehicle can't be prioritized.
    A few houses down on Adams Street, Patrick Robinson, whose family has lived on the street for decades, said a family member got up at 8 a.m. to grocery shop to avoid the traffic. His grandson came over for Easter and the family “couldn’t get him out.”
    That was at 10:30 p.m.
    “Finally, he stayed over, I had to get him to Dennis in the morning to get him to school,” said Robinson in his backyard. “Fighting traffic right here, it’s crazy.”
    Patrick Robinson, whose family has lived on Adams Street in Sagamore for decades, said Monday a family member got up early to grocery shop to avoid the traffic caused by Sagamore Bridge repairs. His grandson came over for Easter and the family “couldn’t get him out.”
    Adams Streets and other surrounding roads are “village streets,” Robinson said — not equipped to handle the level of traffic caused by the Sagamore Bridge repairs. Adams Street needs to be blocked off to allow for local traffic and emergency vehicles only, he said.
    “We’re trapped for months,” he said.
    Drivers could use Ben Abbey Road in Sandwich instead, Robinson said, saying “it’s a state road, it’s a state problem.” “That would allow us to get out and live our lives and function properly,” he said.
    Two restaurants near the Sagamore Bridge report staff frustrations, and fewer customers.
    Businesses in the area of the Sagamore Bridge feel the pain too.
    "We are doing half the business we should be doing on these days," said Kevin Shea of Canal Café, which is by the base of the Sagamore Bridge.
    It affects everyone, Shea said, from bartenders making tips to clientele from Sandwich unable to make the trip to get a bite to eat.
    “People have been sitting in traffic for miles — by the time they get to us, they’re frustrated and just want to get going,” he said.
    Employees have to get up hours earlier to get to work on time, Shea said. He leaves before 8 a.m. now.
    Down the street in Sandwich, Bob O'Malley's Whaleback Restaurant also feels the pain. The restaurant recently got a write-up on a local radio station’s website, which led to an increase in business.
    “But now we’ve slowed immensely,” said store manager Amanda McCann.
    The restaurant staff members have updated the outside of the restaurant to try to “make it look a little more enticing” to attract more customers who may be hungry and in the traffic jam. “It’s backed all the way past our restaurant in a stand-still,” McCann said.
    How much traffic is crossing the Sagamore Bridge?
    The Sagamore and Bourne bridges, built in the 1930s, were meant to serve far lower traffic volumes than seen today, according to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.
    Today, the bridges are used by the 230,000 year-round residents of Barnstable County and millions of visitors to the Cape each year.
    For the Bourne bridge, the 2019 average daily traffic for the fall was 46,370, while the summer was 57,860. Meanwhile, the Sagamore bridge saw 62,020 travelers for fall 2019 and 79,560 for the summer.
    Further complicating matters: as of 2019, nearly 48% of Barnstable County's workforce — or over 42,000 people out of 87,856 ― live outside the county, meaning a large portion of workers travel across either of the bridges twice, according to a report by the Concord Group for the Housing Assistance Corporation.
    Bourne Select Board Chairman Peter Meier said he thinks signage telling motorists they cannot turn onto Adams Street with a left turn — or that the street is open for local traffic only — could help.
    Another option is police directing traffic, Meier said. On Tuesday, Meier said he had heard a cruiser was in the area to help mitigate the flow, but was unsure if that was permanent.
    "If you put a cruiser over there with lights on, more often then not, people are going to behave or they'll get a ticket," he said.
    Bourne Police Chief Brandon Esip did not return a phone call on Tuesday. David Procopio, a spokesperson for the state police, did not return an emailed request for comment.
    Sandwich Police Lt. John Manley said a police detail in Sandwich, where traffic is also snarled, would not be much help. "The chokepoint originates in another town," he said.
    Sagamore Bridge repair work is about 33% done, and expected to end ahead of schedule.
    The Sagamore Bridge repair project is 33% done, according to an update posted Monday on Facebook from the Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber of Commerce. The repairs are expected to wrap up ahead of schedule.
    The first phase of the project, which saw repairs on the west side lanes of the bridge, was completed on April 5. Underway now is the second phase: repairs to the middle lanes of the bridge.
    When the third phase begins, for repairs to the east side lanes and sidewalk, the sidewalk will be closed to pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
    “The bridge work has to be done,” said Robinson. “Otherwise if one does go down fully, we’re really in trouble.”
    Meier said he understood patience is wearing thin, but said town officials are "listening and we'll do what we can to answer people's questions or to facilitate a positive solution for any and all concerns."
    "We're a victim of where we live. People love coming to the Cape," said Meier.

Last edited by whynot; 04-14-23 at 12:18 PM.

I got one of those 6 months for a dollar trials, always interesting articles from CC Times. I'll copy and paste the article here. Basically residents cant get to/from their homes thanks to the traffic.
    thanks...looks like the plan is to have the bridge maintenance done before memorial day weekend...only affects me when i have to visit job sites down there...Bourne is as close to the cape as i have gotten in years...the only reason i would go over the bridges is if i wanted to take a car over to MV out of woods hole...there isn't much on the cape that i'm interested in that can't be found elsewhere

A little pricey but damn it's clean with low miles: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2...4-500.1593457/

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Damn that’s nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS/LRRS #83

A little pricey but damn it's clean with low miles: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2...4-500.1593457/
    Nice. Funny thing, this one in Corning NY is just an hour away from the CL ad that I linked (now gone) was in Ithaca NY, all stock, black & yellow, was asking $3200. (Post #21 above)

Meanwhile, this one in Holyoke MA looks decent at $2900.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9615786721109/

.... but now I'm thinking Ducati again ...

Last edited by whynot; 05-04-23 at 08:17 AM.

If you want an impractical naked Italian for the street I’ll be selling my rotax tuono 1000

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Here’s a second gen set up real nice
    https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/n...#post-47718355

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Damn that’s nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She said yes but I need to sell the R6

She.......said sell the R6 ....

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    If you want an impractical naked Italian for the street I’ll be selling my rotax tuono 1000
    Thanks, but not *that* impractical

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    Lmk!

Here's a nice FZ1, top dollar, local, and I have some FB connections to the seller. But I ask myself, do I want another chain to maintain? Already have two. Do I want four more carbs to maintain? Already have three. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the new Guzzi.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4777986288805/

Lifer

@whynot this is gorgeous, no??Is the FZ1 a good bike?-img_8268-jpg

Excuse me if I should start a new thread, but anyone know about the FZ6?

The FZ07/FZ09’s are the majority of the bikes for sale now; and budget $4-5k to get one

Early 2000’s FZ6/FZ8/FZ1 pricing with their performance makes the FZ07 seem like a joke…any issues on the 6’s?

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post

The FZ07/FZ09’s are the majority of the bikes for sale now; and budget $4-5k to get one

Early 2000’s FZ6/FZ8/FZ1 pricing with their performance makes the FZ07 seem like a joke…any issues on the 6’s?
    I always thought the fz6 was meh, and the fz8 reviews were not good.

I really don’t know, are we talking four cylinder fz6/8 vs newer triples? I wouldn’t buy an fz6 or fz8.

I had a 2007 FZ6 for 5-6 years, put 15-20k on it. Good bike, never had any issues with it, consistent 50ish mpg. Budget level suspension, and it’s a 600 with a 14k redline - all the power is in the upper half. The second gen (07-09) had a better tach, improved windscreen, more comfortable passenger pegs, and better off/on fuel injection. If you can get a 07+ for $3k that’d be a decent deal.

Don’t confuse the FZ6 with the FZ6R, which had a full fairing and 20-25 less hp

Last edited by MattR302; 06-18-23 at 07:43 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    I had a 2007 FZ6 for 5-6 years, put 15-20k on it. Good bike, never had any issues with it, consistent 50ish mpg. Budget level suspension, and it’s a 600 with a 14k redline - all the power is in the upper half. The second gen (07-09) had a better tach, improved windscreen, more comfortable passenger pegs, and better off/on fuel injection. If you can get a 07+ for $3k that’d be a decent deal.

Don’t confuse the FZ6 with the FZ6R, which had a full fairing and 20-25 less hp
    But did that power come on with a rush, or was it meh?

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Great bike, power delivery is very soft down low but gradually turns into a healthy rush above 8k rpm.

Suspension is ok although the addition of an R6 shock helped things a bit. Forks on the 2005 I rode/ owned were surprisingly well suited for spirited riding even though they were not adjustable.

As stated, regular 50mpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast