Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Is the FZ1 a good bike?

Lifer

Re: Is the FZ1 a good bike?

Am I the only simp that thinks power that hits at 8k or higher is unrealistic for street riding?

At the same time I knew a kid at work with a ninja 636, and knew he took the highway to work, and he said he’d never been out of third gear… and I was like what? He’s just screaming in third gear on the highway?!?

And every now and then I will see someone seemingly casually riding on the highway, but with super high revs….

My first bike, a gsxr600k5/6, I’d casually shift around 6k…

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

Is the FZ1 a good bike?

I also had an FZ6, a 2008 version. It was a great all around bike. Sporty, comfortable even for two up, very good basic suspension and brakes, standard center stand, standard 4.8 gallon fuel tank, great range, excellent reliability, very easy maintenance, 26k valve intervals, and low wet weight considering the center stand and large tank. Power was ok around 4-5k and mental above 7k so was fine. Very popular in Europe and for a very good reason. I now have a 2015 FJ-09 for my daily commute and it reminds me of my fz6 but better in every way except looks

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by dankatz; 06-20-23 at 01:13 PM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Am I the only simp that thinks power that hits at 8k or higher is unrealistic for street riding?
    I've never gotten the fascination with expecting all bikes to cruise at X RPM no matter the motor setup. They all have their own happy places, let'em eat where they want.

My wife had 2, they were totally fine. ast and 2nd gen

Good all arounder, and when i had my sv1000, it was the bike we would take 2-up.

The wife was very happy with it.

And it was good enough for me to take for a romp and enjoy it, but you had to keep the motor singing up top to get anything out of it. ( i was used to Vtwins)

They used to be dirt cheap, and for what it is i would pick up another one, and its was a solid street bike.

Last edited by jhawley; 06-20-23 at 11:18 AM.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    @whynot this is gorgeous, no??Attachment 59717
    Yes. But $5K for one of their opportunity vehicles. Besides, I don't like chopped off rear fenders. Beautiful color, tho.
    https://www.nationalpowersports.net/...v&itemid=57621

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Excuse me if I should start a new thread, but anyone know about the FZ6?

The FZ07/FZ09’s are the majority of the bikes for sale now; and budget $4-5k to get one

Early 2000’s FZ6/FZ8/FZ1 pricing with their performance makes the FZ07 seem like a joke…any issues on the 6’s?
    I had a 2007 FZ6 about 10 years ago -- good bike, I sorted it nicely, but thought I wouldn't be doing that kind of riding and sold it for $2900. The undertail exhaust made for a very hot seat. I wrapped the exhaust and started insulating the bottom of the seat. Asking prices now seem pretty high, around the same as FZ1 prices.

In that FZ6 class, how about a Kaw ZR-7S? They are around at low prices, like this:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6188437761247/

Last edited by whynot; 06-21-23 at 07:57 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've never gotten the fascination with expecting all bikes to cruise at X RPM no matter the motor setup. They all have their own happy places, let'em eat where they want.
    Sixth gear at 20mph?

Is the FZ1 a good bike?-img_8289-jpg

The Goldwing Never Shifting Club would like to know his location to discuss expanding their membership.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The '02 Bandit 1200 that I had (carb'd, 5-spd), you could truly select either 2nd or 3rd and ride it around all day as a 1-speed.

Excuse me if I should start a new thread, but anyone know about the FZ6?

The FZ07/FZ09’s are the majority of the bikes for sale now; and budget $4-5k to get one

Early 2000’s FZ6/FZ8/FZ1 pricing with their performance makes the FZ07 seem like a joke…any issues on the 6’s?
    I had two FZ6s. Like mentioned, don't confuse the 2004-2009 FZ6 with a FZ6R (2010+ IIRC?). 2007-2009 are the years to target with the redesigned fairing/windscreen, monoblock calipers, and while subjective, the better gauge cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I had a 2007 FZ6 about 10 years ago -- good bike, I sorted it nicely, but thought I wouldn't be doing that kind of riding and sold it for $2900. The undertail exhaust made for a very hot seat. I wrapped the exhaust and started insulating the bottom of the seat. Asking prices now seem pretty high, around the same as FZ1 prices.
    I paid $1800 for my used 07 FZ6, picked it up in Philly and proceeded to ride it 25k miles until I sold it for $3900... Granted, I had added a few extras to make it even more versatile (first bike where I added a topcase). I never had a problem with the hot seat, but I think it is up there as one of the most underrated bikes with ~100hp, upright seating but still capable of shaming much more sporty bikes in the canyons, 5 gallon tank, and you could easily bolt up 03-04 R6 / 06-09 R6S fully adjustable forks. I miss that bike a lot and I think the current asking prices reflect just how well of a bike it is.

Thanks guys!

A 2nd gen FZ6 sounds like it fits me well!

It sounds like it has good power, good overall reliability, and it’s only $3k

When you guys talk about budget suspension being surprisingly good, I think of the FZR600 I had for like 10 years. I commuted on it, parked it outside for 5 years, put maybe 55k+ miles on it, and mostly did chain/sprockets, oil changes, tire changes, a regulator, and high beam switch. It wasn’t the best bike, but it was only $1,000, pretty low hassle and still relatively exciting to ride. That’s what Yamaha does - budget stuff that’s good enough. Granted different platforms, the Vstrom 650, the FE350, ninja 500, or the 690 all compromised in one or more of those areas; with the euro ones being substantially higher purchase and maintenance costs. I was so used to the Yamaha experience, that I was quickly burned out Euro for now. There’s an FZ6 on rider share for rent; I am going to try that first

What I want:
    -cheap purchase/maintenance prices by 2023 market standards
    -EFI
    -99% street duty, 1% flat gravel road duty
    -highway capable, can do 2 hours of 90-100mph Slab to make it to the canyons, has windscreen
    -more street excitement than the DL650/Ninja 500R
    -60 mile landlord errands, occasional work commute to LA, canyons, 3-400 mile day ride loops, can adapt a top case
    -sufficient power for heated jacket liner

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-27-23 at 02:18 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

The FZ6 should suit you well. I had a Ninja500 prior to it and it was a nice upgrade.
    I just sold a topcase rack for a 2nd Gen FZ6 a few weeks ago; they might not be available anymore, but you should be a lot of FZ6’s for sale with them already installed.
    It should handle a heated jacket just fine, but they are very easy to push-start (I think I had a full set of heated gear running that night). I would swap the bulbs to LED just to be safe.
    The inner fairings are great places to mount a voltmeter, aux light switches, heated gear switches, and 12v/USB ports.
    Is the FZ1 a good bike?-img_7219-jpg

Thanks guys!

A 2nd gen FZ6 sounds like it fits me well!

It sounds like it has good power, good overall reliability, and it’s only $3k

When you guys talk about budget suspension being surprisingly good, I think of the FZR600 I had for like 10 years. I commuted on it, parked it outside for 5 years, put maybe 55k+ miles on it, and mostly did chain/sprockets, oil changes, tire changes, a regulator, and high beam switch. It wasn’t the best bike, but it was only $1,000, pretty low hassle and still relatively exciting to ride. That’s what Yamaha does - budget stuff that’s good enough. Granted different platforms, the Vstrom 650, the FE350, ninja 500, or the 690 all compromised in one or more of those areas; with the euro ones being substantially higher purchase and maintenance costs. I was so used to the Yamaha experience, that I was quickly burned out Euro for now. There’s an FZ6 on rider share for rent; I am going to try that first

What I want:
    -cheap purchase/maintenance prices by 2023 market standards
    -EFI
    -99% street duty, 1% flat gravel road duty
    -highway capable, can do 2 hours of 90-100mph Slab to make it to the canyons, has windscreen
    -more street excitement than the DL650/Ninja 500R
    -60 mile landlord errands, occasional work commute to LA, canyons, 3-400 mile day ride loops, can adapt a top case
    -sufficient power for heated jacket liner
    You should have bought mine.

08 FZ6 $3300

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post

08 FZ6 $3300
    Or mine! 2007 Yamaha FZ6 with Givi Topcase, Heated Grips, and more

Thanks for the blast down memory lane! It's funny, I never used heated gear in Boston (even when it was 20 degrees!) but use it extensively out west!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post

08 FZ6 $3300
    Or mine [smilee]
    '07 sold in 2014 for $2900

And here's a 2009 FZ6 FS in Palmer MA @ $1800 -- now marked SOLD as of June 28 --
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3223827010763/

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 06-28-23 at 10:00 AM.

Or my wifes. lol

you guys are hilarious

those threads were fun reads..."down on both sides?" dammit bubba ..."screw the supersports, the FZ6 is the perfect streetbike" (this is where I'm at! need something more street friendly vs. track friendly)...and onecheek's bike is setup the way that I'd want (top case, heated accessories, possibly FZ6R handlebars). Matt's dash is dope! I always had a tough time on my dual sports finding a way to mount a USB port for charging a phone.

^ this is a language I understand; thanks guys!

how about underseat storage? online threads are suggesting that it's small; an oem toolkit and maybe a cargo net. Can I fit a tire plug kit + tools, and maybe a pump? I know nowadays you can get somewhat slim, battery powered pumps like the airmoto.

Yamaha FZ6 in 2014: worth $2,700-$3,300
    Yamaha FZ6 in 2023: worth $2,700-$3,300

aside from that ZR-7, I don't know what else is underrated, and that cheap. $4-5k for a ninja 400/FZ07 is now a "cheap", late model bike

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-28-23 at 11:59 AM.

Or mine, lol 2007 Yamaha FZ6
    I think sold it for $3300, ended up putting the full luggage back on. I let him try out the custom seat and then sold that to him for another $300. Think I sold my R6S forks/adapters for another $300.
    Is the FZ1 a good bike?-img_7222-jpg

If you want to mount a GPS, a piece of copper pipe, flattened in a vice on both ends, screwed into the upper fairing mounts (I used 3/4” pipe, it’s the same outer diameter as the handlebars)
    Is the FZ1 a good bike?-img_0665-jpg

Bringing back an old thread for a killer specimen

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2...uring.1661347/

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    Bringing back an old thread for a killer specimen

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2...uring.1661347/
    Ha, I've been watching that on ADV rider. If think I prefer it without the lower fairings though.

I rented an ‘05 today and for that price point, I liked it

Lifer

Just about a year after starting this thread, I bought a 2005 FZ1, went with Gen 1 after reading up. 35K miles, looks like a full Hindle system (with 20" oval can), K&Ns (two ovals, each has two flanges), jetted per the seller (one-man shop, was the ride of a customer). IDK about Ivan's, not sure how to tell, guess I'll ask the seller. Bike had been lowered, he raised it back to stock before I picked it up. Paint (blue) is just about perfect. I rode it home 30 miles last Friday in the wet, seemed to tolerate low revs and light throttle. Now I'm doing my usual maintenance and servicing and some upgrades. And cleaning, always lots of cleaning. Chain and sprockets on order, ordering tires today. Spark plugs are out, new ones arrive today. Replacing fuel filter, etc. At least it has fresh oil and filter and a good AGM battery. But bummer, has a chopped rear fender, am searching for a good used original, new available $$$.

I missed the ZRX1200, but wanted a bike with a half-fairing and a center stand for easier servicing. My impression so far is that the FZ1 is quite refined, and compared to it, the ZRX is simpler and kind of a blunt instrument, no offense, just an observation. The Yam fuel tank sits higher, so topped up it feels heavier than the ZRX.

More news as it happens ... .

Last edited by whynot; 04-18-24 at 09:07 AM.

Depending on which Ivan's kit is installed, you'd want to check if the pilot holes in the carbs have been opened up.

It's been a few years but IIRC, there are 3 pilot holes in each carb body on the air box side and I believe 2 of the 3 are opened up.

You can also check the air mix screws....caps should've been removed and the screws should be somewhere around 4 turns out.

And finally, the diaphragm springs for the slides are also trimmed down.

You may be able to call Ivan's Performance Products and speak with Ivan directly.

^^ Thanks. I'll take a look.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123