Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gasoline Prices

Gasoline Prices

Holy Crap..... I fillled up yesterday at $1.71 in Plymouth..... Today is $1.86!!!! WTF!!! For Mid Grade!

There was a guy with a Suburban next to me.... LOL He had to pay at the pump twice because there is a $50.00 limit. 40 gallons imagine that fucker!!!!! aahhaahhahaha

I filled up with 4.2 gallons.

If this keeps up, I bet you couldn't give an SUV away!

I will just ride the 929 everywhere now!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Gasoline Prices

paid $2.05/gallon this weekend ... in NY it was $2.11, it sucks .. i'm only riding the bike places now too ... even at that i'm being selective.

yep i just got the wife a accent 50 mpg

that better then my bike did

im sick of the bull shit the gov

shoves up your ass

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Gasoline Prices

I filled up the passat today at 1.97 for 94. That hurt.

Bras cause cancer.

Gasoline Prices

Don't worry after they are done robbing us for the long holiday weekend the prices will start to come back down...

Price Gouging........ I thought it was illegal.

Bastards

Lifer

Gasoline Prices

Why oh why did I take the car to work this morning!

That was the most I've ever paid.

Ben

Everybody to the limit!

Gasoline Prices

If it gets the suburbans off the streets, I'm all for it. Let those prices rise!

What kind of Passat needs 94 octane gasoline? Is your compression really that high?

Gasoline Prices

If it gets the suburbans off the streets, I'm all for it. Let those prices rise!
    That's pretty assinine. What's your reasoning for that?

What kind of Passat needs 94 octane gasoline? Is your compression really that high?
    You don't need a high compression engine to run high octane gas. If your engine was designed to run high octane, you'd better believe it's the best bang for your buck. Subsequently, if your engine wasn't designed for high octane use, you'd be doing your wallet AND engine more harm than good running it. I've done a lot of research into this, and all the real experts seem to agree on that one point...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Gasoline Prices

Sucks being me. The best gas mileage vehicle we own is my damn Outback. The TL-R gets horrible mileage, and my big truck and motorhome get about 10 MPG each. The wife's new Volvo suprisingly doesn't get great mileage, but I think that's got something to do with the turbo. Believe it or not, our Corvette gets about 20-22 MPG. Go figure...

Gasoline Prices

Ya know what kills me the most about this gouging? It's the fact that prices are obviously gonna get near or above the $2.00/gallon mark. But in the fall when prices 'level out', they're gonna drop to about $0.15 MORE than what they are now. And the fuel suppliers will all have us believing how great they are that they've managed to 'lower' the prices. Yeah, bunch of fuggin' heroes... :

I Dance With Will

Gasoline Prices

Originally posted by Stoneman

You don't need a high compression engine to run high octane gas. If your engine was designed to run high octane, you'd better believe it's the best bang for your buck. Subsequently, if your engine wasn't designed for high octane use, you'd be doing your wallet AND engine more harm than good running it. I've done a lot of research into this, and all the real experts seem to agree on that one point...
    really! so what is high? > 8:1?

"fuckit!"

Gasoline Prices

Originally posted by Kham
    really! so what is high? > 8:1?
    Damned if I know what would be considred high compression. Most indepth articles I read mentioned very little about a direct correlation between compression and octane. The focus was more targeted at what it takes for certain engines to fully utilize the energies of such fuels. The exception being race engines...

Wunna the best articles I read on this was in Motorcycle Consumer News. They ran DYNO tests with exhaust analyzers to determine what, if any advantage would be obtained by running high octane fuels in engines designed to run lower octane fuels...

The answer was suprisingly simple: No advantage unless you're engine was designed to burn the higher octane fuels. In some instances, horsepower had actually dropped by 1 or 2. They even went so far as to say that running high octane fuels in engines other than those designed for it could be depremental...

Everybody to the limit!

Gasoline Prices

Look around you on the road sometime. See how many people are driving unecessarily large vehicles like suburbans/expeditions/excursions/whatever that lincoln behemoth is called. Now count how many of those 12-odd seats are filled. Not saying they don't have a right to own an unecessarily large vehicle, but hey, ya gotta pay to play. Maybe rising gas prices will encourage those who don't need a large car to buy something more economic.

And economics aside, alot of those giant cars scare the bejeezus outta me, especially on a bike. Not saying everyone who drives an SUV is a bad driver, but we know there are bad drivers out there, and if I'm gonna meet one some day, I'd rather they be driving a tercel than a navigator. Oh, and I think having a large, safe car encourages some people to drive like assholes. Is that enough reasoning?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but what's the major reason a manufacturer would spec high test gas? High compression, or a turbo. Why? Because fuel ignites easier under pressure. I wasn't aware they turbo'd passats (actually I just looked it up, looks like they do, I guess you learn somethin new every day). I suppose an overly hot combustion chamber would encourage pinging as well, or running hot spark plugs, but to the best of my knowledge it's primarily compression.

Gasoline Prices

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Is that enough reasoning?
    Sure is. But a lot of what you say is the same 'reasoning' many people use trying to ban motorcycles from the roadways, sans the gas mileage issue. It's reasoning like that that'll fuck us all...

My big truck scares you? Tough shit! *I* pay for my gas and insurance, and property taxes. Should we take motorcycles off the road 'cuz they scare the 'bejeezus' outta a lot of peeps? Get real...

Gasoline Prices

If you mix 87 and 89 octane, the end result will be 91-93octane.
    Mixing fuel doesn't average the octane, it increases it.
    I just bought a 62 Vespa 150 from a barn in NH. It gets 100mpg!!! guess I'll be riding that around town.
    Funkin Gas Thieves

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Gasoline Prices

My big truck scares you? Tough shit! *I* pay for my gas and insurance, and property taxes. Should we take motorcycles off the road 'cuz they scare the 'bejeezus' outta a lot of peeps? Get real...
    your big truck doesn't scare me... neither does any other vehicle. it's the drivers of summa the land-yachts (too many, unfortunately) that crank up my heart rate when I get stuck between 'em. I agree w/ a lot of Honclfibr's points... also feel that the fully-climate-controlled, cell-phone-in-the-ear, latte-in-the-cupholder, kick-ass-stereo environment in newer cars (including SUVs) isolates drivers from what's going on around 'em. in a vehicle that spans pretty much its whole side of the road... a little bit of inattention makes it more of a threat to me than a li'l Geo would.

am I advocating banning or regulating the size of consumer vehicles? nope... wouldn't happen, anyway: too many lawmakers drive the things as compensation for their pathetically small penises. and I'm a firm believer that they oughta be available for those who really need that much cargo / passenger room or 4wd capability.

but I wouldn't mind a few less of 'em to dodge while I'm out there on the road too, thank you very much!

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

I Dance With Will

Gasoline Prices

Originally posted by bemused
    your big truck doesn't scare me... neither does any other vehicle. it's the drivers of summa the land-yachts (too many, unfortunately) that crank up my heart rate when I get stuck between 'em. I agree w/ a lot of Honclfibr's points... also feel that the fully-climate-controlled, cell-phone-in-the-ear, latte-in-the-cupholder, kick-ass-stereo environment in newer cars (including SUVs) isolates drivers from what's going on around 'em. in a vehicle that spans pretty much its whole side of the road... a little bit of inattention makes it more of a threat to me than a li'l Geo would.

am I advocating banning or regulating the size of consumer vehicles? nope... wouldn't happen, anyway: too many lawmakers drive the things as compensation for their pathetically small penises. and I'm a firm believer that they oughta be available for those who really need that much cargo / passenger room or 4wd capability.

but I wouldn't mind a few less of 'em to dodge while I'm out there on the road too, thank you very much!
    Amen!

"fuckit!"

Everybody to the limit!

Gasoline Prices

Sure is. But a lot of what you say is the same 'reasoning' many people use trying to ban motorcycles from the roadways, sans the gas mileage issue. It's reasoning like that that'll fuck us all...

Nope, and we shouldn't take big trucks off of the road either. We should subject them to the same safety and performance regulations as cars of course, but that's an entirely separate argument.

But I'm not gonna cry for the SUV owners either when gas prices go up a few points. That's the price you pay for having such a big car, with a big engine. If you really *need* such a vehicle, the price you pay is cost of doing business, just like any other cost. If you don't, it's the price for your excess. So pay your property tax ,and your insurance, and your gas, and don't hit anybody with that truck, and I won't bitch about SUVs if you don't bitch about gas prices.

Which, FWIW, never struck me as all that high. 2.00 a gallon for something that needs to be pumped out of the ground halfway around the world at great expense and danger, refined at additional expense, carried halfway around the world by boat, trucked a few hundred miles, put back in the ground, before finally arriving at your pump whenever you need it. Nor is there any data out there to support claims that gas prices, adjusted for inflation, have changed significantly in the past 50 years. But it seems to be as american as apple pie, bitching about gas prices. Ahh well. I'm not a big fan of apple pie either...

Everybody to the limit!

Gasoline Prices

Originally posted by ducatiboy
    If you mix 87 and 89 octane, the end result will be 91-93octane.
    Where did you hear this? This is not true. You would get 88, assuming a 50/50 mixture. They do in fact average. IIRC this is how sunoco is able to offer such a wide assortment of octanes, by having a tank of 87 and a tank of 94 and blending at the pump...Smart folk, those sunocans...

Gasoline Prices

Nope, and we shouldn't take big trucks off of the road either. We should subject them to the same safety and performance regulations as cars of course, but that's an entirely separate argument.
    Sure. And while we're at it, why not subject motorcycles to those same safety reg's. If people keep thinking like this, we'll all be caging soon enough...

But I'm not gonna cry for the SUV owners either when gas prices go up a few points. That's the price you pay for having such a big car, with a big engine. If you really *need* such a vehicle, the price you pay is cost of doing business, just like any other cost. If you don't, it's the price for your excess. So pay your property tax ,and your insurance, and your gas, and don't hit anybody with that truck, and I won't bitch about SUVs if you don't bitch about gas prices.
    Ummmm....show me where I bitched about prices. I bitched about them raising prices by fiddy cents, then lowering 'em by fideen cents to make them look like heroes. But the mere fact that I also own vehicles that are capable of 20+ and 30 MPG certainly gives me the right to bitch about it. So I'll continue paying my gas and insurance and property taxes AND I'll continue to drive the way *I* feel. Just stay outta my way...

Which, FWIW, never struck me as all that high. 2.00 a gallon for something that needs to be pumped out of the ground halfway around the world at great expense and danger, refined at additional expense, carried halfway around the world by boat, trucked a few hundred miles, put back in the ground, before finally arriving at your pump whenever you need it. Nor is there any data out there to support claims that gas prices, adjusted for inflation, have changed significantly in the past 50 years. But it seems to be as american as apple pie, bitching about gas prices. Ahh well. I'm not a big fan of apple pie either...
    And considering what other countries are paying, I'd say we STILL have it pretty damned easy...

Gasoline Prices

The way I see it with all this scared BS is that either live in a plastic bubble your whole life or take a chance and live life. You could fall down just right smash your head on the sidewalk and die on the edge of the street. You just really need to be aware of your surroundings. Doesn't matter if it's a pebble in the road or a 6,000lb suv. Anyways greedy oil companies suck ass.

That thing got a KAWI in it?????? SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!
    1997 ZX7R LATER JJ

Gasoline Prices

I just wanted to say I bought gas 10cents cheaper than everyone else the other morning while they changed the price at the pump.

My little Avalanche took so long to fill, he had to wait for me to wand the pumps.

48$ it cost , whew, I'll gladly pass that cost on to my boss, thanks tfor the raise!

See ya! I got more cats & VW's to run over!

Last edited by legalspeed; 08-27-03 at 01:31 PM.
    LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Gasoline Prices

Originally posted by legalspeed
    See ya! I got more cats & VW's to run over!
    Bwaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaa!!!!!

Gasoline Prices

Jeeze look what I started.

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast