Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

well full gear can only protect you so much

well full gear can only protect you so much

Went for a nice 50 mile ride this morning. I just tweaked my map and suspension and was having a great time on every back road I could find. My plan was to pick up a part I ordered for my grandma-in law and really test out my rear suspension adjustments, which by the way I had no idea how much of a difference the rear suspension makes with turn feel, bike feels like it weighs half as much now. Like always I had on my one piece a star suit, full boot, gauntlet gloves and full face helmet(obviously).

So I didn't really have a set route just wanted to avoid main roads and traffic. For the most part it was great, it was warm but not really hot yet and traffic was almost non existent so I kept a decent pace and stayed nice and comfortable. I got to Napa, got the part I needed and headed back home with the same intentions( avoid traffic mostly). well now it was starting to get a lot warmer and I kept getting stuck behind people who clearly didn't have anywhere important to be. I got about 2 miles from my house after following a guy going literally 15 in a 35mph zone for what seemed like an eternity when it happened, sudden pinch followed very quickly by an intense pain, I knew right away what happened, I just got stung by a yellow jacket in the fucking throat. Tried my best to make sure the fucker didn't wind up down my suit and try to keep my bike in my own lane at the same time( which wasn't easy by the way).

Not sure what got it aggravated enough to sting me, but luckily I am not allergic. I ride that rode almost everyday to and from work, today I guess was just the wrong place at the wrong time. I've always been worried about getting stung but never thought it could actually happen especially all geared up, although I have splattered plenty on my face shield And front fairing.

Has this ever happened to anyone else here?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: well full gear can only protect you so much

My first real ride that required hopping on the highway heading out to Newport, just prior to the bridge, my friend in adequate riding gear with much more experience swerved so bad out of nowhere I thought he was gonna high side himself (thank god there was little to no traffic at the time). He got it back then only a second later swerved again. Wasp had gone between his glove and leather jacket. Pulled to the side and he starts stripping (I still had no clue what was happening). Ended up getting stung a few times, the second swerve was from when he used his right hand to punch it when he started to feel it on his chest. Thought of being stung and dumping my bike has stayed with me ever since.

My old man has been out riding and had mice run out on him and off the bike do to it being stored in a shed. A few years back he left his place in Mattapoisett, headed out towards the cape, looped around, came back, took back roads out through Dartmouth/Westport, and took rt 6 back home (this was one of his famous long rides). In Fairhaven he was sitting at a traffic light and a garter snake came up over his tank near his handlebars. Somehow he didn't jump off and toss his bike, he just drove into a parking lot and hopped off and started looking for it. I guess another guy on a HD followed him in like "holy shit! was that a snake?!" and helped him look for it. They never found it and he rode home without incident.

This is exactly the reason I will never even go down the street with shorts on anymore... wore shorts once for a short less than mile trip and got to bee right up the shorts right in the sack...ever to pull your shorts away from crotch while riding a motorcycle at 40mph it's pretty funny and painful

While I was still in high school, I went for a ride and had some large bug hit me square in the throat at 60ish mph. Apparently that really pissed him off because 10 seconds later it started biting me and eventually stung me on the top of my chest after falling into my jacket. I was trying to crush him through my jacket while pulling over and ultimately had to open up my jacket and untuck my t-shirt to get it out. Turns out it was yellow jacket. It didn't make it.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I got stung when I was riding my road bicycle...it freakin' went in one of the holes in my helmet and stung me on the top of my head...it almost made me go off road.

On a hot summer night, no jacket I got stung in the under arm. I had a passenger so staying composed enough to slow down and stop showed real control. Then I cried like a school girl.

I also had a bird shit on my visor once, just a not, don't try and wipe it.... total white out shit show and had to slow, pull over and stop pretty much blind...

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by onenut View Post
    This is exactly the reason I will never even go down the street with shorts on anymore... wore shorts once for a short less than mile trip and got to bee right up the shorts right in the sack...ever to pull your shorts away from crotch while riding a motorcycle at 40mph it's pretty funny and painful
    Explains the username.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Damn bro sucks to here
    About 4 years ago I was riding with no gloves and I got it on my wrist. I
    Immediately had an allergic reaction and luckily made it to the hospital in time. It wasn't fun

Lifer

I had something get stuck between my helmet and right jacket collar on the recent road trip. It got me three times before I was able to get it either out or dead.

No fun, but a pretty good test of concentration...

Had one bounce off my (jacketed) chest and up under the chin bar of my full face. Stung me on the lip before I could get it out of there.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Well, if you need a reason not to ride in shorts, that as good as any....

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Glad you're ok and didn't have an anaphylactic reaction.
    But more importantly, did your grandma in law get her car part?

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    My first real ride that required hopping on the highway heading out to Newport, just prior to the bridge, my friend in adequate riding gear with much more experience swerved so bad out of nowhere I thought he was gonna high side himself (thank god there was little to no traffic at the time). He got it back then only a second later swerved again. Wasp had gone between his glove and leather jacket. Pulled to the side and he starts stripping (I still had no clue what was happening). Ended up getting stung a few times, the second swerve was from when he used his right hand to punch it when he started to feel it on his chest. Thought of being stung and dumping my bike has stayed with me ever since.
    Did it look like this?

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

That explains your screen name...

Paul_E_D

Well I don't feel so unlucky any more, some of you got it bad. I can't believe how many of us have gotten stung while riding as many as I've seen splatter on impact on my face shield I didn't think hitting one that they would have any chance of surviving enough for revenge, but clearly I was mistaken and yes my grandma-in law got her part!!

I am allergic and stupidly do not carry an epipen. I am going to have nightmares about this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    I got stung when I was riding my road bicycle...it freakin' went in one of the holes in my helmet and stung me on the top of my head...it almost made me go off road.
    Same thing happened to me. I wouldn't have thought there was enough skin there to get stung, but there definitely is!

2005 BMW R1200RT
    1988 BMW K100RS

Lifer

I've been riding with my jacket half unzipped on the hotter days, and man has it made a difference. But by the sounds of it, it is only a matter of time until I get a bee in there? Or are the people who have made it a while without being stung the silent majority?
    Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I am allergic and stupidly do not carry an epipen. I am going to have nightmares about this thread!
    A few weeks ago, I unknowingly parked in an area that was the residence of those huge all black wasps. Went in to the gas station, came out and realized they were all doing laps around my bike. They did not seem thrilled to see me. What would you do in a situation like that? Ask someone to move it for you?

I went for at least a decade without being stung after being stung quite a few times when I was a kid playing outside. Then twice this year. Both without warning. Never even heard a buzz. Had no idea wasps where in the area, nevermind pissed off. Forgot how much those things hurt.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    A few weeks ago, I unknowingly parked in an area that was the residence of those huge all black wasps. Went in to the gas station, came out and realized they were all doing laps around my bike. They did not seem thrilled to see me. What would you do in a situation like that? Ask someone to move it for you?
    I have no idea what I would do in that situation. I'd probably end up hanging out at that gas station for a while.

I'd go back in the store and buy a can of hair spray, paint, etc and a lighter. Wasp problem taken care of.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I was riding the Kanc on a really hot day a couple of years ago so had the zipper on the leathers at half mast. A wasp hit me in the sternum just below the throat and ended up stunned but alive inside my jacket and happy to give me a love tap or two before I was able to kill it. I now ride with the zipper full up without regard to temps.

x

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    I'd go back in the store and buy a can of hair spray, paint, etc and a lighter. Wasp problem taken care of.
    At a gas station? Go for it dude, nice to know you....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've been stung on the collar bone after the motherfucker snuck into my jacket. Immediately crushed it and kept on riding. Angry aggressive riding....the cop was mad and didn't believe me until I unzipped my jacket and removed the crushed yellow jacket in front of him. Then he laughed and let me go....

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    the cop was mad and didn't believe me...
    Did the encounter look like this?

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

So I was out riding my dirtbike when I felt a sharp pinch at the top of my chest. I was pretty sure I knew what it was, and started pounding my chest, as I was wearing a vest I was sure he was under. Figured that would be good enough to at least ride up to the person ahead so they'll know what they're waiting on. As I'm telling the story, while unzipping to check, to see him crawling around to my back. Apparently pounding had done nothing and he got me again right then, and once more while I practiced my fastest dismount ever. Fortunately they were on the mild side - half as painful as the other recent ones I've had.

nedirtriders.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast