Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Gearing changes and suspension interaction

Gearing changes and suspension interaction

Hello,

I recently changed my 636 sprockets to -1 +2. The easy answer to my question is a smoother throttle hand but here goes. I notice due to the increased acceleration that if I give it a bit too much throttle coming out of a corner the front feels like it is extending the forks too quickly and they need a bit more rebound damping. How do I know its not the shock needing more compression damping, or both this and more fork rebound damping? I guess my next step is to add in a bit more rebound damping to the forks and see how that goes, small changes, and note the changes.

In the past I added in some comp damping to the forks to slow down their travel under braking, but never touched the rebound.

BTW the sag is set correctly for me in my riding gear and about a 1/2 tank of gas.

Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Re: Gearing changes and suspension interaction

Because a properly set bike will extend the swingarm under acceleration.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

When making suspension adjustments do one thing at a time. so, if you think its rebound in the forks make an adjustment bigger then you think it should be made. like not just one click go four or five and see how you like it? and adjust from there. if it not to your liking go back to your starting point and make an adjustment in the rear. i found to short gearing upsets the bike more than having it on the long side. If your ham fisted like me, throttle input effects the bike a lot take your time and write down what you're doing. if you make more than one adjustment at a time you will start chasing your tail!
    Edit: thinking about it the rear shock might not have enough compression damping and its squatting. my two cents.

Last edited by MUZ720; 09-19-22 at 05:01 PM.

you have sag set...... stock springs ? or correct rate for your weight ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Thanks all. Stock springs and sag set. Good point on go a few clicks rather than one or two. Now that I think about it I got this bike post heart attack and post cardiac rehab and had the sag set. Years later and too much food might require a recheck of sag!

2013 ZX6R-636