Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Do you own a trailer?

Do you own a trailer?

It's time to check, grease, replace those wheel bearings.. When did you last grease and check? Even twice a season is not too much!

Just a couple of weeks back helping a friend pick out his ride....

After purchase and trailing it back along 495 in MA at 70 mph sitting in the back seat I heard a bad noise out back, turned around to see smoke pouring from a partially locking rear trailer wheel...

Luckily only a few miles to my place, limped there, and with some major driveway surgery cutting off now welded bearing races and a trip to AutoZone got it all running again... Could have been ugly... trailers normally go up with a grease fire.... in this case so much rusty water with the grease probably saved the day...

Checking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or2lS1QNLZE

If they need further inspection or replacing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsCH1d6R7J0

If you go to the trouble to pull your wheel – I would replace the bearings and races – AutoZone has the STD 1" axle kits for about $12 per wheel

We want you to make it to our track days!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xsiliconkid; 03-08-09 at 08:10 AM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Re: Do you own a trailer?

Good reminder, and today is a nice day to do it. I picked up my boat (which is also my camper) this winter, and just hit the bearing buddies and drove easy to get it home, but I have been meaning to pull the wheels and check (probably replace) them. They're old, and I have no idea the history. It's also pretty heavy for my tiny truck, so a locked wheel, losing a wheel, etc. could turn ugly if it happened at the wrong moment (and does that stuff ever happen going slow in a wide open area?).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Good reminder, and today is a nice day to do it. I picked up my boat (which is also my camper) this winter, and just hit the bearing buddies and drove easy to get it home, but I have been meaning to pull the wheels and check (probably replace) them. They're old, and I have no idea the history. It's also pretty heavy for my tiny truck, so a locked wheel, losing a wheel, etc. could turn ugly if it happened at the wrong moment (and does that stuff ever happen going slow in a wide open area?).
    I checked mine yesterday - here's what I'm doing today....gettin ready for NJMS come April 20/21

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Sweeeeeeeeeeet. I don't want to pull my bike apart until I'm ready to paint, since I don't have a garage. Outside of paint there isn't much for me to do to it until I actually get to ride it on the track and see how it feels. My truck, trailer, and boat can all use plenty of work though. I should probably stop screwin around online and go do some of it now.

Graham not on a motard. There really is hope for humanity.

Just don't get new leathers too. That may throw the planet off its axis!

" In the name of the Spedo, the Tach and the Holy Throttle, Amen. "

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    It's time to check, grease, replace those wheel bearings.. When did you last grease and check? Even twice a season is not too much!

Just a couple of weeks back helping a friend pick out his ride....

After purchase and trailing it back along 495 in MA at 70 mph sitting in the back seat I heard a bad noise out back, turned around to see smoke pouring from a partially locking rear trailer wheel...

Luckily only a few miles to my place, limped there, and with some major driveway surgery cutting off now welded bearing races and a trip to AutoZone got it all running again... Could have been ugly... trailers normally go up with a grease fire.... in this case so much rusty water with the grease probably saved the day...

Checking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or2lS1QNLZE

If they need further inspection or replacing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsCH1d6R7J0

If you go to the trouble to pull your wheel – I would replace the bearings and races – AutoZone has the STD 1" axle kits for about $12 per wheel

We want you to make it to our track days!
    Nice one

916 Ducati ,BMW1000RR
    748 Race , 749S Race,Panigale1199 Tricolore .LRRS271/AHRMA 273

On a serious note, anyone in the NH area that has a trailer but, no place to do service, may come over and use our shop.

We have all the tools and space needed. You just need to bring the new parts and the beer.

Goodwin Auto is our neighbor and can replace trailer tires at the same time if needed.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Great post. If your tires are over 4 years old, and they are Carlisle brand, get some new ones ASAP. I have had three blowouts with Carlisle trailer tires. All three were 5 years old. I am anal about tire pressure and such, so it was not due to underinflation, these tires just rip to shreds in an instant.

I highly recommend Goodyear Marathon radial trailer tires. They make them in China and Canada. You can specify the Canadian made tires when you order them, and they only cost a couple bucks more per tire.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Great post. If your tires are over 4 years old, and they are Carlisle brand, get some new ones ASAP. I have had three blowouts with Carlisle trailer tires. All three were 5 years old. I am anal about tire pressure and such, so it was not due to underinflation, these tires just rip to shreds in an instant.

I highly recommend Goodyear Marathon radial trailer tires. They make them in China and Canada. You can specify the Canadian made tires when you order them, and they only cost a couple bucks more per tire.
    Good to know, thanks for the heads up. My trailer needs 2 new tires, plus a spare on a rim, and I need a spare on a rim for my truck. The dual exhaust eliminated the spot for the spare, and I never got around to replacing it (got it with the dual exhaust and no spare). Now that the exhaust is rotted out and I have to replace it anyway I may go back to single and have a spot for the spare again. If not it can stay in the bed, but AAA isn't going to pick up the boat if I get a flat so not having a spare isn't much of an option anymore.

Thanks for heads up Graham.

I was just about to get over to the auto supply shop to
    get me a grease gun.

BTW... Graham will be sporting a big Aprilia?
    Wow

2008 Honda CBR 600RR

...and you had to post this just before I leave for VIR. Thanks for making more work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by akira700 View Post
    Thanks for heads up Graham.

I was just about to get over to the auto supply shop to
    get me a grease gun.

BTW... Graham will be sporting a big Aprilia?
    Wow
    I got the RSVR back on 00.. serial #20.... it has not been started or moved in 5 years......
    slowly bringing it back to life..... lots of marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes and soaked for a day(just incase stuck rings)... spun the motor on rollers today to bring the oil pressure up.... some more work to do before firing it up-

so far everything looks great....

Graham

Thumbs up Re: Do you own a trailer?

I still have my Aprilia. Serial#9 bought back in 2000 also.Glad to see yours is still around.I think the 2000s are the best of the bunch. Matt

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    I checked mine yesterday - here's what I'm doing today....gettin ready for NJMS come April 20/21
    I see a dirt bike back there.....

Graham - how old are the wheel bearings in your old trailer / my new trailer?

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor719 View Post
    I see a dirt bike back there.....

Graham - how old are the wheel bearings in your old trailer / my new trailer?
    Hawkeye,
    there are a few dirt bikes hiding in the corner with a few Ducs (3 or 4) and a couple of cruisers.... got to say my favorite is a stock 97 916...

but most of the good sdtuff is in the warm basement.

never changed the wheel bearing on the trailer - greased twice a year and checked....the trailer was new in about 00 or 01.

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 03-09-09 at 08:43 PM.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by mattrsvr View Post
    I still have my Aprilia. Serial#9 bought back in 2000 also.Glad to see yours is still around.I think the 2000s are the best of the bunch. Matt

Cool: We can play on the track!

I had it once at the Loudon track...I think it was Paul Duval , told me I was leaving black lines out of T3 and around hide side hill..errr T4-T5:-)... that made me a bit nervous... now for some good tires....

Graham

I'll fess up. Graham is talking about my trailer. It's been two years since I checked the bearings, which is apparently enough time for the seals to weaken and the grease to get contaminated. Thankfully, we were close to Graham's house where we were able to replace the bearings (including Dremeling off the inner race from the axle).

I have since bought Bearing Buddies so that maintenance will be easier and more likely to get done.

Last edited by Ken C; 03-10-09 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    I fess up. Graham is talking about my trailer. It's been two years since I checked the bearings, which is apparently enough time for the seals to weaken and the grease to get contaminated. Thankfully, we were close to Graham's house where we were able to replace the bearings (including Dremeling off the inner race from the axle).

I have since bought Bearing Buddies so that maintenance will be easier and more likely to get done.
    What are Bearing Buddies?
    Sounds like something my 3 year old would like!

2008 Honda CBR 600RR

They protect the bearings and grease from contamination.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/

Hey Greg, doing ok. how are you? Yeah, bonehead relatives is the reason for the Trophy's damage.Got to call Steve to get it ready.We've got to ride soon,i've been looking at Dual Sports/enduro bikes lately.Maybe Gaspe peninsula Part2? Matt