Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Getting my permit soon, need a bike!

hello forum. first off, i have to say props on the website, looks great. Well I have a bit to say so here goes. I'm 15 now, and at the end of the summer i will be 16. My sister has a 97 Grand Am gt which i will be getting when she goes to college. I really want to get a bike. I will hopefully have 5-6k to spend on it by the end of the summer. Some bikes i like are the Triumph daytona (my neighbor has one), the gixxer, a CBR, and the R1.....all great bikes, but i'm guessing you will all say they are too powerful for me. I think you're right, i'd flip myself over and break my neck :cool so i was also looking at a suzuki katana. i think it looks nice, its got medium power, and its pretty cheap. any thoughts on the matter. (oh yea, i also gotta learn how to ride first...)

[Edited on 6/21/02 by IanfromMA]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

howdy Ian, If yer an internet troll,

if not, here's my advice, you'll get a whole lot of advice to go take MSF etc. I won't suggest that, if you have uncommon sence, theres no reason you cant be self taught, espesially if you live in a rural area, if not, well, I won't get into that, you were askin about buying a bike.

I'd find an old bike preferably a nekid one with standard ergonimics, not bigger than 500cc, you should be able to find something in excellent mechanical shape, don't worry about minor cosmetic blemishes, for $1500 or under, then get some gear, boots (workboots are ok)pants, jacket, helmet & gloves you should be able to outfit yourself with decent gear (Joe rocket stuff is reasonable) for under $750

learn to ride a season or two, by then you may have enuf experience to make your own educated decision on what to get, you might find that you wanna be a hardley rider, some people do prefer cruisers, even if yer sure the sportbike scene is for you, what kind of engine charadteristics fit your riding style/needs, you may like the high end srceaming of an inline 4 , a whailing triple, an off beat v-twin.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

good thoughts. I'm sure i could teach myself. Maybe i'll get a pos bike to learn on and i'll have my neighbor help me out. i don't imagine riding would be too hard, but i'm sure if i didn't know what i was doing i'd flip myself. I would think its just like riding a bike....only with a bitchload more power haha. I definately want a sporty looking bike, and something that i could carry a chick on every once in a while. If i have the money, would it even be a bad idea to learn on a 4-5k bike if i just took it slow? i don't plan on doing stupid stuff until i'm comfortable on a bike. I definately don't want a harley (can't stand the noise, they really piss me off sometimes), i don't want a bike for racing, i'd like something that had some zip to it, but it doesn't have to go 180 mph. i don't really know too much about bikes, but i'll beef up over the summer. I'll have to go up to north darmouth and check out some bikes at windmill cycles. I like the screaming inline 4's. this wouldn't be my daily driver, it would just be something for fun. i always have the grand am for rainy days and such. oh yea, and how much would insurance be? is it cheaper than a car? my sister pays about 2k a year on the grand am and she doesn't have any tickets or anything.

and yes i live in a rural area- hopkinton. my street gets about 5 cars per day of traffic and it just got paved. its a small road probably about 1/8 mile long. but my entire block is pretty empty so i can practice on it.

[Edited on 6/21/02 by IanfromMA]

OK. I'll be first in saying do the course. $85, and then you don't have to fool around with an officer @ the DMV. Good deal as far as i'm concerned. My GS 500 can carry chick-a-dees ( I had 1 on there that was bigger 'n me!! She's not around anymore,Heh) Don't get a Kaataana! I mean just keep saying that: Kaataana, Kaataana...Uck LOL!!
    my street gets about 5 cars per day of traffic and it just got paved. its a small road probably about 1/8 mile long. but my entire block is pretty empty so i can practice on it.
    I'll be over!! I need some room to pratice rise'n the front!!

[Edited on 6/22/02 by Jankster]

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

can i take the course before i get my permit? where can i go for the course? and what are some other midpower, fairly cheap, 2 seated bikes?

edit: i seached for some place online...couldn't find any in my area. thats nice that it makes you exempt from taking the road test at the registry, and it says you get 10% off your insurance. anyone know of any places near hopkinton mass?

[Edited on 6/22/02 by IanfromMA]

Oopps! Don't know Mass. Info I gave for NH. Hit the big 4 bike makers: Suzuki: SV650,GS500e. Kawi: 500 somp'n. Yama: Old Seca(650) Hondog...well, I don't know, they must make one...

Chris J.

you know what, i might just get one of those. it looks nice. and they're only like 4400 brand new. i could get one a few years old and ride it for a season. then when i enter my senior year maybe i'll get a nicer bike. i'm definately going to take a course. and jankster...the course isn't 85 dollars...its like 200. but it should be worth it i think. i really want to get a nice fast sporty bike, but i don't want to be dumb and blow that much money away and wind up killing myself.

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

First off, take the course. They have had them at Seekonk speedway (they use the parking lot). You end up getting a break on ins. and your license when you pass the course, but you do need a permit and a bike. The proper equipment is always a big plus- road rash sucks-.

Second I don't think that much about Windmill cycle, high priced questionable bikes.

Then get a slightly older bike with a little less power, and don't get upset if you drop it at a stop have seen a lot of newbies do that at stop signs because they forgot to put there feet done. LOL

No matter what take your time and don't rush yourself.

$200 and you need to have a permit AND your own bike?? Geez!! I'm sure glad NH doesn't have a helmet law so the state has to subsidize the motorcycle rider training program to keep the Feds of their back!! $85, they give you a bike, helmet(if you need one), and you don't need a permit. "Live Free or Die" has it's advantages.
    P.S. GS 500e's Rock
    \/\/

[Edited on 6/22/02 by Jankster]

Chris J.

ricerocket...most of the places i've looked at online give you a bike to use and you can rent helmets. i think i will buy some gear before i go. and i'm not going to drop my bike...i'm not that dumb. i've ridden bmx for 10 years and haven't forgotten to put my feet down when i stop. are you sure you need a permit? i might have to call one of the places and check on that.

edit: well i read a q&a and it says you need to have a motorcycle permit...anybody know how old you have to be to get one of these in MA?

[Edited on 6/22/02 by IanfromMA]

i'm not going to drop my bike...i'm not that dumb.

If yer gonna learn to ride motorcycle, and want to live very long, you gotta get rid of that cocky attitude, dropping you bike cause you forgot to put your feet down was a poor example but I can almost guarantee, that your bike WILL go down for one reason or another, prolly at least 5 times in your first year, maybe you will beat the stastistics, but I doubt it, hence all the suggestions you are getting here to get a cheap bike first that isn't so suseptable to damage, and the suggestions to get gear, jeans will shred as soon as you hit pavement, then your skin starts to shred

Take the advice you get here, or don't take it, I could really give a shit, everybody here was 15 at one time, don't think that the peer pressure of being 15 isn't something we haven't experienced before. I was 15 once upon a time, I think I can still remember

RandyO
    IBA#9560

sorry, i'm not trying to be cocky, i'm just saying that i doubt i'd drop it stopping because i forgot to put my feet down. i might drop it forgetting to put the kickstand down or something, but thats just my stupidity

i'm definately going to get all the gear, i'm not that dumb, i know what road rash is like, i've fallen going off jumps on my bike at parks going like 20 with shorts on and thats quite painful, i don't want to imagine that at 75+ mph. i'm taking the advice here, i will get a crappy bike, but that won't be until the end of summer.

it would still be helpful to know the age requirements for a motorcycle permit. is it the same as a car permit at 16?

You need to be 16 in Ma. for a permit. Forgetting to put your feet down may not seem like it can happen, maybe not in your case, but I have seen it happen.

As far as NH. for there helmet law, I thought it there was one for individuals who are under 18 years of age or less than 2 years riding experiance. I might be wrong but that was what I had heard at on point 4-5 years ago. Rhode Island is the same but they add passenger to that list.

No matter what you decide to do never think that you are better than the bike because they have a very nasty way of reminding you where your limits are. not the bikes....:cool

would an f3 be a good bike? i got suggested this in another forum. its a nice looking bike and pretty cheap too.

Its obvious that yer more interested in posin than ridin, in that case, I recommend you try to get a Ducati 998 Bostrum , oh yea, thats right, you like screamin fours, get a MV Agusta F4

CBR's, GSXR's, Ninja's etc impress no one, well except 15 year olds, but remember, yer gonna be 16 one day.

Ian, don't take this personal, I've been in a real sarcastic mood, I can't halp myself

[Edited on 6/23/02 by RandyO]

RandyO
    IBA#9560

right now first thing go get a book

more skill is needed 2 ride any bike then cages. go get (proficient motorcycling) i think this is good book for u 2 read u will need only 400 or 500 cc bike for starts . spend some $$$ on gear (hope u dont need it ) ie. helmet, jacket,gloves, pants. hey i'm still learning :o

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

well I added up the cost of all the gear and it comes to 816-936 depending on the cost of the helmet. The stuff i want on joe rockets- red blaster jacket (300), black blaster pant (200), red blaster boot (160), red blaster glove (40-oh boy, i match!) and for helmets i like the AFX x-15r (116), the HJC symax (203), the nolan avenue plust rapid (156), and the nolan n100 rapid (236)

thats just the stuff i want but if i don't have enough cash then i will just get all black bottom of the line stuff. oh and the color is depending on the bike, i don't want a red suit with a yellow bike, i'd look like a big queen. i'm pretty sure i'll be getting a red or a black bike. should i just get all black leathers? i think my parents will help pay for this stuff because its for safety.

i'll go down to performance cycles this summer and check stuff out

[Edited on 6/23/02 by IanfromMA]

and for helmets i like the AFX x-15r (116), the HJC symax (203), the nolan avenue plust rapid (156), and the nolan n100 rapid (236)

Have you tried on any helmets? One of the most important things with helmets is that they fit good, different manufacturers and models can vary in shape greatly, just as peoples heads are shaped differently, A helmet should fit snugly and not shift position

Flip face helmets are convenient, I have a symax, for my head althought the fit is acceptable, its not perfect, it presses against my forehead a bit, and the helmet moves a bit, not side to side but front to back. I wear it mostly when puttering around doing errands etc, I also have an Arai signet, it fits me perfect, Arai makes several different models, each is for a different shaped head, the replacable cheek pads come in different thicknesses to customize the fit even more. I'm not trying to steer you away from any of the helmets you have listed, When you try in helmets, obviously ones that are uncomfortable, scratch of your list, once you find one that is comfortable, wear it around the store a few minutes, as you move around, that will give the helmet a chance to shift if its going to, you will also find out if the ventilation will work for you, don't worry if they fog a little when you sit still, Don't let a salesman tell you you can dimple the foam with a spoon to make the helmet fit properly, Oh, and don't waste your money on those irridium shields, they scratch easy and the coating comes off and they look like shit very quickly

RandyO
    IBA#9560

i was just looking at those helmets online, obviously i won't buy one till i try it on, but that won't be till september- just planning ahead

performance cycle in shrewsbury is the closest shop i know of, i haven' t been there in a long time. is that place alright for gear?

[Edited on 6/23/02 by IanfromMA]

When you go to buy your gear, just remember to think visability. I'm not talking about going out and getting every thing in some sort of day glow color, but remember that cage drivers never see us, due to a strange lack of attention. Some color in your gear always is helpful, plus black can be very hot and uncomfortable in the summer heat, and very hard to see at night. Some black is fine, but I personally wouldn't go all black.

What ever you choose follow the advise every-one has given you and you should be fine.