Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

getting started

getting started

I posted this on another forum, but wanted to get the opinion of local people, especially with the amount of race tracks in the area

Basically my plan at this point is to get enough money to get a gs500, all the gear I need, money for insurance and msf class. I want to start riding and then eventually get into some more advanced classes so I don't teach myself bad habits, and eventually get into some type of race school once i feel confident enough that I can move on to learn more. I'm only 20, so I feel like I am young enough to have plenty of time to accomplish this, no matter where it takes me. I am in college, so basically I want to finish college with a degree, and try to get into racing. I have always been good at mountain biking and things like that, and I usually pick up things quickly, and I just really need to dedicate myself to soemthing. I know my chances of becoming some type of pro racer is very slim, especially starting this late, but that isn't exactly a major goal of mine. Of course if i see the potential for that to happen I will try, but I'm really just looking for some words of encouragement, or criticism. I have no idea how stupid this sounds...
    thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    1995 VW golf sport
    Need to learn to ride and a bike- suzuki gs500e or sv650?

....................... PinHead's Avatar

getting started

Come hang out at the track this year with the crew and see what you can come up with. There is a wealth of information to soak in.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

getting started

I'd be more apt to keep my eyes out for a slightly crashed SV. You mentioned in another post that you have some mechanical skills. Being a nekkid bike, any crashed SV would be easy to fix so long as there's no frame damage...

I'd tend to stay away from the GS500. I'd venture a guess and say you'd get really bored with it, really fast. Sure it's a great beginner bike, but it's down on power. Not that you need gobs of power just yet. But you also wanna get something that'll demand your respect for a coupla years...

Another thing to keep in mind is getting a bike that'll not only get you started, but something you won't mind keeping for a coupla years...

Don't forget about resale/trade-in value either. There's a HUGE market out there for SV's, and there will be for a time to come. When it comes time for you to upgrade, you'll have a much easier time getting ridda/trading in the SV...

And don't forget! There's a HUGE aftermarket market out there for the SV too! In the event that you finally DO get bored with it, you can just toss in some hop up shit to liven 'er up a bit...

And we all know by now how reliable the SV's are. Randy's got a '99 with over 70,000 miles on it. Yes, you read that right. SEVENTY TWO THOUSAND!!!

If it were my money, I'd go with the SV. To me it's a no brainer. Which isn't taking anything away from the GS either. Just the safe money's on the SV. And this is a good time of year to start your search. You'll find a bazillion of 'em out there. Just be sure to take someone with you who knows what to look for and who knows how to get good deals. Be a PRICK when scrutinizing a used bike. Deals are usually yours to make. Trust me...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

getting started

hm-m-m, Jay... think you made your point...

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

getting started

yup, that's 72k with no repairs or breakdowns other than normal maintenance, oil, filters, tuneups, chains, sprockets, tires and more tires , brakes. valves have been within spec at every adjustment interval.

I did have to replace the Regulator Rectifier, and soon, I will have to replace the clutch lever perch, the level is getting kinda sloppy, my fuel petcock leaks a bit, I have one on order.

Sv's are pretty crash proof, not meaning that they don't crash, but when you do, theres a good chance you can pick it up and ride away, so far I have every time I've gone down, the most damage I have done is break a shifter

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

getting started

Originally posted by RandyO
    so far I have every time I've gone down, the most damage I have done is break a shifter
    Hee hee...and a thumb!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

getting started

that one don't count, I was already off my bike when I tripped, landed on my thunb and kicked my bike over

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

getting started

Damn..my Brother just traded in his 2001 SV-"S"
    for a SV1000S, The 650 had a M4 system, jet replacements, etc.
    That sucker had some BALLS!

Oh well, if you get an SV650, just have the front forks revalved, and do the springs to tighten it up. Ohlins has a rear shock available for it, you can go with some plastic on the rear (Seat)
    Add a pipe, give me your airbox, to open it up. Add a K&N airfilter, or a BMC F1 filter, we will do a rejet on the carbs, and you are ROCKING!

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

I don't race [yet] but

I'd go with an EX-500 or SV-650. If it's gonna be your only bike the SV is better on the street. When you get tired of race prepping your street bike, the SV will serve either purpose well.

Both bike's are competitive under competent riders, check out last years LRRS race results

Don't even think about contaminating your ability and potential with fear of your age, that goes if your 20, 30, or 70. However, since you don't ride now, take all those courses and race clinics that you mentioned, it'll keep the learning curve nice and steep.
    No matter what you ride, a bike can't make you fast if you're not.

If in the end, you don't have the passion for racing you thought you might have, then an SV-650 is still a great street & track bike...

Good luck,
    -Jack

'02 Duc MS4
    "Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter-Accusations"