Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MA Motorcycle Insurance Refunds...

MA Motorcycle Insurance Refunds...

If you live or lived in MA between 2002 and present, and had insurance on your bike(s) with Collision and Comprehensive insurance, you probably overpaid and are due a refund.

The Massachusetts Motorcycle Association appreciates the efforts of the MA Attorney General's Office in fighting for Motorcyclists. Hopefully, you've already received it, but sadly there are a large number of riders out there who either received a check and didn't know what it was for, or never got their check becuase they moved and didn't know they were due one.

The settlements are up to $33.8M as of today with several insurance carriers not yet reaching agreement.

You can read more about this here on the MMA website:

http://www.massmotorcycle.org

...or the special FAQ page:

http://www.mass.gov/ago/motorcycles

If you have questions, please send your current (and past if applicable) contact info to MyRefund@MassMotorcycle.org -- it helps to know who your insurance carrier(s) are and policy numbers never hurt to expedite research.

Contact info is kept completely confidential and is NOT used for recruiting or membership purposes. This data is being kept separately under agreement with the MA Attorney General's Office for the sole purposes of getting you your money back!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: MA Motorcycle Insurance Refunds...

I've had comprehensive insurance on my bike since September this year. How much could they refund me?

Quote Originally Posted by Talus View Post
    I've had comprehensive insurance on my bike since September this year. How much could they refund me?
    Without knowing a lot more information it's impossible to tell, but probably very little...

The refunds are based on overcharges caused by the way the Insurance Carriers were calculating the current value of your bike(s). And not all carriers were using the same schedule. For example, in my own case, my carrier was evaluating my (then) 2003 Harley Ultra at almost new when in fact the real book value on it was about 60% of that in 2008 when I traded it in... This caused an overcharge for 5 years, plus interest, that was returned to me earlier this year.

The longer you've had the bike, and the more skewed the valuation, the bigger the refund. The average refund has been a couple $hundred, but there have been refunds in the $thousands (bike collectors, I assume)...

But if your carrier has reached agreement with the MA AGO, and you've only just recently added collision and/or comprehensive, you're probably (hopefully!) being billed now under the correct model and wouldn't be due anything. Some insurance carriers reached agreement with the AGO later than others, and there are others still pending.

If your carrier has reached agreement, and you have your policy number, you can attempt to look up the refund you're due here:

http://www.motorcycle.ago.state.ma.u...request.action

Please keep in mind that you must enter the policy number EXACTLY.

If you think you're due a refund and/or can't figure this out, send your info to MyRefund@MassMotorcycle.org

If you haven't moved, you probably already got a check and didn't even know why...

HTH

-- Doc

I got $68.76. had insurance on it for about 2 years with Safety insurance

Quote Originally Posted by batboy View Post
    I got $68.76. had insurance on it for about 2 years with Safety insurance
    Again, a lot depends on how new the bike was and how much the real value depreciated over those 2 years.

But at least you got your check and you won't be paying through the teeth as you continue to pay into the future.

Thanks doc