Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Giving my kids a ride on the back....

Re: Giving my kids a ride on the back....

^^ Bungee cords work for everything.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Got my son a Razor Dirt Rocket MX650 [electric] and he rides the thing all the time. Now his sister has an MX500 we bought used. Great toy.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I did find laws prohibiting that...
    only if you get caught, the law may or may not have been on the books when my son was 4

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...65/265-120.htm

Last edited by RandyO; 04-24-13 at 03:10 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Thanks everyone, Good suggestions in here. Needless to say, my children are the very most important thing to me in this world, safety is paramount. The rides would be shorter rides (ice cream rides, etc.) and not sporty rides at all.

The straps are something that would make ME more comfortable, at least at first....hopefully after a few jaunts, they'd no longer need them. (read: Id get more comfortable as they learned the dynamics of riding)

Lifer

On a super-sport like your duc, I would think a strap/handle setup like Stonky would be a great idea. I'd take him up on his offer.

Now that all the voices of reason have chimed in, I'm totally not telling what I've done. But yeah, take them while they still might enjoy it! FYI, triple digit speeds and/ or peg scraping apparently do not stop naps from happening on the back. Must be boring there.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    On a super-sport like your duc, I would think a strap/handle setup like Stonky would be a great idea. I'd take him up on his offer.
    Yep, good idea....actually Colin, I'm gonna buy one. They are cheap and Ive got a few amazon.com gift cards I gotta use up.

I showed my wife the strap/Handel thing on amazon and she was all for it! Wait till we go helmet shopping, I hope they are as psyched as me!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

first time i was put on a bike (it was for a pic) i was 6 months old.
    @ 2 years old my uncle was taking me on rides on he 88 Katana.
    @ 12 i was riding a Yamaha Z 125 2stroke
    yes take them for a ride

My vote is for take them, geared up well maybe during a quieter time on the streets.

My son was on my little cb125 at 3 months, he now rides on the front at age 3. My 2 yo girl has also been on the little bike. Neither on the road though but as soon as they are big enough that will happen too.

In NH I believe if they can hold on and touch the passenger pegs it is legal. But please all of you use common sense. Kids are precious and I know you all would do anything in your power to protect them - and sometimes that means saying "no" if they aren't ready. I plan on riding with my daughter as soon as we all feel she is ready. She can already touch the passenger pegs, but I don't trust her to hold on yet (nor do they make armored gear in a 4T that I can find)

Last summer, at just barely over 3 years old:

Giving my kids a ride on the back....-candfz-jpg

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

This is how I rolled, cool shoes and all...
    Giving my kids a ride on the back....-scan0013-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by VTRumble View Post
    Giving my kids a ride on the back....-scan0013-jpg
    CL125?

Sidecar..I always wanted to try one of those. And you can take both.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

Kids will fall asleep for the same reasons they fall asleep in a car; hum of the engine, motion, and not being able to really see forward.

My plan to give me daughters a ride, their first ride, is to lay the foundation of a lifelong riding career. I want to have them ride, with me and witout me, for their lives. I believe they also want this. As of now. The most important thing is to instill safety. When I was first exposed to motorcycles, safety was an afterthought. Not with me. Those I ride with now, they know, I am ATTGAT. I have high hopes that at the minimum, my younger daughter will ride like me.

Ive made plans to meet up with Stoinky to buy his Power Madd straps. This makes me much more comfortable. Im also glad this thread exists. Thanks to all, I hope this thread continues...

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My few short runs (not trips) at age nine with my Father on his old Lambretta were a real thrill. No chance of boredom!
    Maybe that explains the riding from age 14?
    My wife falls asleep often on interstates. I have to wake her for directions sometimes (she is the GPS).
    But the slightest change of direction or speed, her knees tighten on my hips. She's really sort of dozing I think.
    Kinda nice, really. We've been doing this since the early seventies. I've never had reason to think she was going to fall off.
    If a kid is actually young enough to fall asleep, keep the trip really short, I say. Ice cream run is about the limit.

Great idea getting your kids into riding, on a Duc no less. They are going to have expensive taste...

Please please please get them a helmet that fits correctly. I see too many kids and even everyday riders with helmets that dont fit. I believe Scorpion and HJC have kid sizes. These are smaller shells so its not just an adult helmet with tons of foam, the whole thing is sized for a kid. Have fun!

Tuono

I am not doing it

My kids have mini dirt bikes but I am not taking them on the street, but not preaching

They USED to make this belt with handles so arms could hang on around where your kidneys are

Go slow stay out of traffic armor up

I believe in CT they MUST wear a helmet to at least 16 maybe older

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I used a CRV (Child Recreational Vehicle) belt with my kids. Link They wore appropriate helmets, jackets, pants, gloves, and boots. I also had them wear roller-blading armor when jackets/pants didn't have any armor.

The belt has a waist strap and shoulder harness for the child, with a neck roll and a pad with handgrips between the youngster and the rider. The rider has a 4" belt with velcro and a buckle. Here's a pic from the website:

Giving my kids a ride on the back....-picture029-jpg

My rule was their feet had to reach the pegs. We started with very short rides, then gradually increased. We seldom went more than 30 minutes without a break. It was a terrific way to get special 1-on-1 time. We had some great rides. Giving them a ride to school was their biggest thrill - big schoolyard street cred, I guess.

I became a big believer in the belt the day one of my daughters fell asleep on an ice cream run. Less than 10 minutes after leaving the ice cream shop I felt her flop a little to one side. The strap held her very securely until we got home and when we stopped she woke up and said, "Daddy, I just had the BEST nap!"

The downside of the belt is that if you do crash, they stay attached to you. That might increase their injuries. Or maybe not, it probably depends on the crash. Either way, if you crash with you child on back, that outcome will probably be much worse than just crashing be yourself, or with another adult.

Some people will think you're not a responsible parent putting your kid on the back of your bike. A few might even say it to your face, but most will just give you 'the look'. Even some riders. What matters is that both parents understand the risks and agree to accept them, then do everything they can to reduce them. In my case, that was easy. My wife knew I was a safe rider and would be extra-safe with them on back. We both knew you can't avoid all possible bad situations, but we agreed the benefits outweighed the risks.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Lifer

That's a cool picture. But does that harness go around the kids' neck?! That doesn't seem like such a hot idea.
    The handle/strap around the pilot seems like just the ticket though. The 400 I rode on with dad as a kid had a strap across the seat. I realize most modern sport-bikes don't have any kind of handle or strap anymore. So firm handles on the rider seem like a good call.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's a cool picture. But does that harness go around the kids' neck?! That doesn't seem like such a hot idea.
    The handle/strap around the pilot seems like just the ticket though. The 400 I rode on with dad as a kid had a strap across the seat. I realize most modern sport-bikes don't have any kind of handle or strap anymore. So firm handles on the rider seem like a good call.
    No, the harness goes around the shoulders and waist. The neck piece is connected loosely to the back of the shoulder straps. I think it's connected in a way that I don't think it could possibly cause any neck damage to the child.

When the kid's got older, they graduated to a simple waist strap with handles on it, especially if we went out on a sport bike. They weren't 'locked in', but the handles gave them something secure to hold onto.

I can bring one or both of the belts either to Bike Night in Lowell, the new Thursday bike night at Slaters in Bolton, or a Tony's Track Day if anyone wants to check them out.

Last edited by oVTo; 05-10-13 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added link
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    I can bring one or both of the belts either to Bike Night in Lowell, the new Thursday bike night at Slaters in Bolton, or a TTD if anyone wants to check them out.
    I'd be interested in seeing them up close, for sure.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    No...
    That's better.

I wonder how hard it would be to rig up a length of rope with loops tied in it under the seat. Sport bikes with 2-peice seats might be different, but with all the banana seats I've had on my bikes over the years, sandwiching a bit or rope under there would probably work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing them up close, for sure.
    No problem, just let me know which event (bike night, track day) and I'll bring them with me.

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

Seeing this reminded me of the last LRRS weekend. There was a guy riding around on his race bike in the pits with his kid on the back with no helmet and no gear. Collar stretch moment.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast