Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

giving up street

giving up street

I know there's a thread about people who dont ride street anymore, as many of you seem to do only track or dirt type of riding, but i was wondering what changed for you, to give up any street riding? was it family, just plain dangerous nowadays ect..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: giving up street

you're going to get a mix of different reasons.
    older riders will often say family and danger. younger riders will probably say street riding is boring & they can no longer ride at a legal speed limit to enjoy street riding.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

At the speeds/types of riding I find enjoyable I will end up arrested or dead.

Speaking of which, I have a court date this week.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by ri-gixxer View Post
    I know there's a thread about people who dont ride street anymore, as many of you seem to do only track or dirt type of riding, but i was wondering what changed for you, to give up any street riding? was it family, just plain dangerous nowadays ect..
    While I am currently without a street bike (due to a recently born child and the financial responsibilities that go along with that), I don't consider myself having given up street riding. It has just been put on hold for now. I will once again have a street bike, hopefully not too far in the future. I just figured that with the wife on maternity leave for 12 weeks and losing her salary because of it, I could not in good concience keep making monthly payments on a 'toy' that I would not be able to enjoy for a good portion of the season anyway.

^ I know the feeling my son is only 4 months, so I sold the bike in Feb.. but I miss riding so much, wife has mixed feeling about me getting back into street type of riding, she says i've been lucky thus far thank god.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Shots View Post
    you're going to get a mix of different reasons.
    older riders will often say family and danger. younger riders will probably say street riding is boring & they can no longer ride at a legal speed limit to enjoy street riding.
    All of the above.

I like track riding because I like that I am not restricted by motor vehicles laws, but only by my own ability and fear.

Not to mention that there are no cages to stop directly in front of you on the track.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I'm still mourning the loss of the king of pop

j/k...I'm more worried about the dangers...but I haven't given it up, just ride infrequently

I just don't aggressively ride street anymore...as in group rides. I do still commute, and get out alone on the street...but ripping it up on dot knobs isn't exactly ripping it up.

Why? All of the above.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

After 3 years being off the street, I am about to get another bike for the road. I came across a very clean, very cheap 1982 Yamaha Seca 550 and I've been kicking around the idea of getting a commuter / fun bike for a few months now.

Budget was what really kept me off the street. I spend all my money on racing.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

well i got rid of my bike because i started riding in march...got my license in April. and then in these few months that i had it, i started getting way to confident and started doing stunts on the high way and main roads. came close to falling so many times i just took the hint and traded it for a car to do other stupid things in . but i plan on going back to bikes maybe next year or the year after. spending alot of money building my car.

I won't give up the street, but I do not do group sport rides anymore. I'd rather ride on the street just to commute or just enjoy a day on the bike by myself.
    Ripping up the streets on a spirited sport ride is no different than the gearless riders stunting on public roads and highways in the eyes of the public
    Offroad riding is where the fun is for me. Less costly, trees/rocks/roots are your speed limiters, and you feel like you've accomplished something at the end of the day.

Yamaha

I've given it up for the season for the sole reason that I haven't found a way to transport my crutches on the back. Street bike will be replacing the race bike on the work platform shortly for some maintenance.

I haven't been on any group rides. I mainly use the bike to travel to and from work (27 miles each way) which is mostly slab highway. I keep telling myself it's for the gas savings but after insurance, maintenance and gear upkeep I'm definitely upside down. I should suck it up and sell the zx6r for something more insurance friendly but it's just so damn fun.

Fitz

I'm with R7, won't give up street riding, but not really into group rides, at least not outside the small group of guys that I ride with now.
    I'll do a creamie run with the VTBN Crew and the like. But when it comes to taking a weekend ride or the occasional mid-week T Rd ride, I like to stick with a few trusted individuals.
    For some strange reason I enjoy the dangerous and unexpected nature of ripping the back-road twisties of VT/NY/NH.
    Riding the Track and the Street both offer their own distinct challenges and risks, both of which I enjoy. I've paid the price of my pursuits on the street, and have been EXTREMELY lucky. But I love it too much to stop. I have slowed down some, and taken steps to be more safe when I ride though.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

House.

Will be back on the street when the extra funds are available.

I given up street ridding for the time being. Family, danger, law, and the fact that you can't really ride a sport bike to its fullest without compromising one of the prior are certainly the factors I have considered.

I only have a streetbike for the social aspect.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

i dont ever see myself giving up the street completely, but since ive gotten to the track, im less motivated to go "rip it up". i still like going out for a spirited ride on a nice day, but im not as desperate as i used to be.

for me, part of having a street bike is to have a "nice" bike, that i take pride in, and enjoy the experience of riding some cool roads.

however, at this point if i HAD to give up something for financial reasons, i'd give up the street, just cause i really enjoy speed and the satisfaction of pushing myself to be a better rider on the track.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

young fathers

2mm term life insurance

ride away

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

No more group rides

As I hopped on the bike last night right around dusk and cruised some very unpopulated roads with temps around 70 and fog coming off of the landscape, I just couldn't wrap my head around this thread.

Maybe it's because some of you guys don't live within a convenient distance to nice country roads or maybe your senses are just numbed by the track days. I just can't relate.

The track is great time but it can't compare to cruising through gorgeous landscape with the moon coming up in front of you as your bike rushes through the night air.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I waited half my life (32yrs) to get a bike. Granted I'm a newer (2.5 years) rider and I have never been on the track which I will soon.

I hope I never get sick of the street, maybe my view would change if I had a child ect ect. There is nothing like hoping on the bike in the morning and cruising to where ever the roads take you.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Just bored of riding on the street Don't care about the dangers. Like the dirt thing more, especially Motocross I can ride any day I want Tracks days cost about 40 bucks incl. Gas

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Its hard for me to understand how some people cannot enjoy street riding without going ultra fast. I mean seriously?

It would be so tough to give up street riding because I love just hopping on the bike and riding somewhere just to ride.

hopefully i'll never give up the street. i enjoy group rides with the right riders. granted its me that pushes the pace most of the time. when my kids get a little older and i can afford a new z1000 or tuono i will track my current z. i love riding to work or the store or whenever i get a chance.

Since I've had kids I only ride ATGATT, and now only wear high-viz. Every time I don't wear high-viz I get quickly reminded why it's a bad idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast