Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

giving up street

Re: giving up street

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Since I've had kids I only ride ATGATT, and now only wear high-viz. Every time I don't wear high-viz I get quickly reminded why it's a bad idea.
    If you have close calls that often you are not being attentive. I have 10yrs, 100k+ miles of street riding experience thru NE country,Boston, NY city, DC area, commuted 60 miles day in Raleigh NC for few years and can count close calls due to cagers on one hand.

I'm all for AGATT, but if your having that many issues it may be time to look within.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've also been considering giving up street riding. I've only been on the bike a handful of times this season. And with all the morons on the road, a low-side in a sand patch, and being rear-ended by another sport bike rider on a group ride, I just don't find it worth it. Then there's the added benifit of no insurance payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Since I've had kids I only ride ATGATT, and now only wear high-viz. Every time I don't wear high-viz I get quickly reminded why it's a bad idea.
    my bike is high viz. loud ass hell muzzy and bright orange.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    If you have close calls that often you are not being attentive. I have 10yrs, 100k+ miles of street riding experience thru NE country,Boston, NY city, DC area, commuted 60 miles day in Raleigh NC for few years and can count close calls due to cagers on one hand.

I'm all for AGATT, but if your having that many issues it may be time to look within.
    10 years and 100K is a great start!

Depends on what you consider a "close call." If I have to alter my path or speed at all, I consider it a SMIDSY. I started doing what is now known as the "anti-SMIDSY maneuver" after reading the Hurt Report - when it first came out. But I wasn't quite ATGATT back in the day: I wore leather gloves and cowboy boots. I stopped a guy in traffic in 1985 to ask him where he got the first non-black leather riding gear I'd ever seen.

Living in Boston, riding through the two mile tunnel almost every day, and with 350,000 college students driving around with cell phones in their ear, if you're not attentive, you're toast. There's absolutely no question that the hi-viz makes a big difference: but it may be because people think you are a LEO, not because they care. My anecdotal experience just confirms what has been proven in a number of studies:
    In a study conducted by (Woltman & Austin, 1973), motorcyclists equipped with fluorescent garments were detected much quicker than those wearing conventional colors under a variety of backgrounds, at a variety of angles. This was especially true under environmental conditions of dust and or dim illumination. As mentioned earlier in regards to vehicular lighting, Olson, Halstead-Nussloch, & Sivak (1981) additionally tested the effectiveness of fluorescent garments on motorcycle detection and found their use to effectively distinguish the motorcyclist from their surroundings via a gap acceptance paradigm. These findings have been supplemented by support from research on pedestrian and bicyclist conspicuity, where virtually every study done has concluded that both fluorescent and retro-reflective garments drastically improve conspicuity (for an exhaustive review see Kwan & Mapstone, 2004).
    But like ABS, some people consider it a "crutch" that may mask poor technique. I'm taking every edge I can get.

When I got my first bike in 1980, my buddy gave me the advice to "Ride like you are invisible."

After 30 years and many more miles, I've changed that to "Ride like you are invisible, and every driver is a drunken psychopath who wants to kill you."

Last edited by Garandman; 08-30-10 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    As I hopped on the bike last night right around dusk and cruised some very unpopulated roads with temps around 70 and fog coming off of the landscape, I just couldn't wrap my head around this thread.

Maybe it's because some of you guys don't live within a convenient distance to nice country roads or maybe your senses are just numbed by the track days. I just can't relate.

The track is great time but it can't compare to cruising through gorgeous landscape with the moon coming up in front of you as your bike rushes through the night air.
    Yea personally I would find that boring. The reason I don't go on most group rides now is because I think the pace is boring. Landscape just does nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    Its hard for me to understand how some people cannot enjoy street riding without going ultra fast. I mean seriously?

It would be so tough to give up street riding because I love just hopping on the bike and riding somewhere just to ride.
    Riding somewhere just to ride IMO has also gotten old. Gearing up, no music, bringing a change of clothes, etc. just gets old. As well as trying to fit everything I need in a backpack and tank bag.

Plus riding street always puts a pretty good flatspot in your tires.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Wearing yellow neon HI-VIZ, it seems like some cars actually slow down as you approach, and then you can proceed as the way opens.

I'm with Catamount...and maybe like him, its just the VT'er in me. But jumping on the bike and taking off for a run up the Notch (108) or 17, riding to a BBQ or taking an early evening cruise, its all part of the mystic and freedom of owning/riding a motorcycle. Especially when I went back home last month from Tucson. I just rode around with a huge smile on my face and admired how gorgeous Vermont really is.

That being said. I can fully appreciate and understand how some of you have and are giving up street riding in favor of riding the track. I don't have that issue of riding daily in a harsh, overpopulated urban/sub-urban environment.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post

Def. a consideration when it comes to giving up street riding

Last edited by MotoFreak; 08-31-10 at 07:17 AM.
    Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Landscape just does nothing for me.

Gearing up, no music, bringing a change of clothes, etc. just gets old. As well as trying to fit everything I need in a backpack and tank bag.

Yea personally I would find that boring. The reason I don't go on most group rides now is because I think the pace is boring. Landscape just does nothing for me.

Riding somewhere just to ride IMO has also gotten old. Gearing up, no music, bringing a change of clothes, etc. just gets old. As well as trying to fit everything I need in a backpack and tank bag.

Get one of those Harley radios that everyone in a ten block radius can hear. Music problem solved!

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

I only ride street. I dont see myself ever giving it up but I definately need a more upright bike now. For some reason, supersport bike ergonomics are getting to me.

On the flipside, I very rarely do group rides these days. If I do, it's usually a small group ride (10 riders or less) and somewhat familiar with the individuals. I've read way too many group ride threads on here where people went down, got pulled over, got left behind, etc. I'm all set with that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I only ride street. I dont see myself ever giving it up but I definately need a more upright bike now. For some reason, supersport bike ergonomics are getting to me.

On the flipside, I very rarely do group rides these days. If I do, it's usually a small group ride (10 riders or less) and somewhat familiar with the individuals. I've read way too many group ride threads on here where people went down, got pulled over, got left behind, etc. I'm all set with that crap.
    Just had two 25 yo guys "test sit" the V-Strom.

And then there are the big sport tourers with electrically adjustable windshields, heated grips and seat, and standard electronic cruise control......

I've been on some fantastic four person group rides. Just about every group ride of 10 or more has turned into a mess.

Looked at the Vstrom and the FZ1/6 so far. Not really into the huge touring bikes, not my style. I'm thinking Spring 2011 I might sell the GSXR (privately) and use that money I get for it towards whatever I get.

I agree, groups bigger then 10 riders "usually" is a recepie for disaster unless the organizers are well experienced in group rides and the riders ride within their limits and dont do stupid shit that attracts LEO.

My V-Strom has Ricor Intiminators in front and an Elka 3 way shock in back, if you want to try it out sometime - I have an office in Westborough. Makes it a lot more compelling bike. The engine is great out of the box.

I haven't given it up completely, but I barely ride anymore. I'd probably have more fun with it on something other than my R6... the dangers don't bother me at all, its just the fun factor. There's something about being at the track, then going home and doing 30mph in a straight line on essentially the same bike that gets old.

Dirt and track riding are much more appealing for the fun factor, I do enjoy taking two up rides out to the beach or something once in a while but thats more the social side of things than the riding side.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

street riding is boring, unless you're riding 180+ MPH after 2am on the highways

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
    street riding is boring, unless you're riding 180+ MPH after 2am on the highways in NEW YORK
    fixed that for ya

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    Get one of those Harley radios that everyone in a ten block radius can hear. Music problem solved!
    Hmm...can I fit an amp in the tail?

Maybe it's because some of you guys don't live within a convenient distance to nice country roads
    like some i haven't given up on street riding but ever since i moved from Amherst,MA to Boston I just haven't felt comfortable... could have something to do with my amazing talent for getting lost.

Hmm...can I fit an amp in the tail?
    Do that air box mod.

-Alex

As I hopped on the bike last night right around dusk and cruised some very unpopulated roads with temps around 70 and fog coming off of the landscape, I just couldn't wrap my head around this thread.

Maybe it's because some of you guys don't live within a convenient distance to nice country roads or maybe your senses are just numbed by the track days. I just can't relate.

The track is great time but it can't compare to cruising through gorgeous landscape with the moon coming up in front of you as your bike rushes through the night air.
    That was part of it for me. If I lived where there are more awesome twisties I would still have my sportbike. Got bored or riding it to work in so much traffic and didn't ride with that many people just "for fun" so I lost interest.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Do that air box mod.
    DOn't have the Z-rex anymore.

Oh, right. Well I'm sure you could fit it.

-Alex

Oh, right. Well I'm sure you could fit it.
    Last time I asked she said I couldn't...

thinking about it but getting to the track is a huge undertaking so i am at a cross roads so to speak

2006 Red Triumph Daytona 675

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast