Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What Goes Through A Biker’s Head When You Try And Kill Him

Re: What Goes Through A Biker’s Head When You Try And Kill Him

i do it sometimes if traffic is barely moving. If you live down by the beaches, then you know how shitty Rt 4 and Rt 1 get in the summertime with tourists and beach traffic. Traffic is usually almost stopped though.

Yeah, some people try to block you, others help you through. At those speeds, your greatest risk is getting nabbed by the cops, which would suck a lot.

Im sure ill get pinched for it someday, but like the speeding tax, ill pay this tax too.

Coolest thing to happen so far was a dude in a big rig leaning out and saying "Hey careful, I can see a cop 8 cars up!", so he let me in right in front of him. Sure enough....

I almost love the people that get so angry. I mean, if anything, im helping the traffic problem, and not hurting them in any way, I think their jealousy is a riot in that situation.

I know it isnt legal, but neither is speeding and we all do that. Well, flame on i guess. just my opinion.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by NeverlosT; 05-16-12 at 04:02 PM.
    Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Wow, not so fucking patient if part of your fucking brain tells you that possibly killing someone is ok.

Karma is a bitch. Ride safe buddy.

And yes we can blame people for thinking that way. Its fucking wrong. Want to enforce the law be a cop.
    Just to be clear, don't confuse who I am now with the asshole I was when you weren still in diapers. Not the same people. As for Karma...yes, I've been paid back plenty for my sins, thanks for the good wishes.

It's possible to understand a motivation without condoning it, which was all I was trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleBallz View Post
    This is also illegal, but most cops really don't care in my experience. Quick story:

I do this at most red lights in Boston. Last summer I pulled up to the light and sure enough the driver of the corolla right next to me was a fully uniformed police officer.
    "You makin your own lane, buddy?"
    "No sir, just trying to get to the front up here. It's much safer"
    "Is that so?"
    "Yes sir- in the back of the line I've got a really good chance of being rear-ended by a driver who's not paying attention. That won't happen up here."
    "Well, alright then"

Light turns green and I'm on my way. Most of them accept that you have the ability to do this without interfering with traffic. It's when you're a hazard to the ppl around you that it becomes a problem. And a hefty fine.
    Probably off-duty.

I don't split lanes, but sometimes I'll use an empty right turn lane to sneak up to the front if it's empty.

I feel like filtering in stopped traffic isn't a big deal if there's space, but I'm not a fan of tickets.

So much of riding is riding to the conditions. Honestly, I think filtering / splitting should be legal and considered as same.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Probably off-duty.
    Yeah, definitely. The point is that he was OK with the idea. No "don't do that next time" speech. Even when I went to court recently the officer (who was a real hardass) said something about "I saw him weaving through traffic to get to the front, as motorcyclists often do". They seem generally OK with the idea.

When I used to live in Woburn and work near fenway I used to split lanes all the way to work every day. Aint no thing just got to cover the rear brake and pay attention. It's not for the timid that is fo sho! You need to own that shit. I have clipped my share of mirrors, had my share of people yell, most of them are just pissed because they are sitting in traffic.

I can tell you the last thing hat will go through your mind.........................You asshole!!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by SVenpointsixtwo View Post
    I ride from Quincy to the South End pretty much every day and have often been very, very tempted to split all the way up, especially when the HOV lane brings the primary section down to 3 lanes.

I can't quite bring myself to do it. The closest I've gotten is "lane hopping" where cars are staggered but not directly next to one another. Legally, I think this gives me an out as I can claim I was just changing lanes, rather than sharing the lane. Safety-wise, I'd much rather have an open space to one side so I can dodge a non-signaling/vicious driver as well.

The funny thing is, every time I see two motorcycle cops together, they're always riding side-by-side, two to a lane. Technically the same as lane-splitting right? If the cops can do it, why can't we?
    Side-by-side might not be the safest thing to do, but in MA it's legal. From MGL Chapter 89, Section 4a: "The operators of motorcycles shall not ride abreast of more than one other motorcycle, shall ride single file when passing, and shall not pass any other motor vehicle within the same lane, except another motorcycle."

Edit to add on topic - I've lane split in CA and I wish it was legal everywhere. I occasionally tried to split lanes when commuting on the Southeast Expressway many years ago, but the drivers were too aggressive - intentionally closing the gap at the last instant and even opening their doors right in front of me.

Last edited by oVTo; 05-18-12 at 06:47 AM.
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

(Not reading three pages of responses) Yup, I have...mostly when I lived in GA...and would/will again. Not necessarily at a stoplight unless there's a blatent space, but if there's crawling traffic or a line of cars stopped behind someone trying to make a left.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123