Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Goin' to California ...

Posting Freak

Re: Goin' to California ...

Almost moved to Tahoe after graduating... same idea w/ a business opportunity. Stayed here to become a Fire Fighter, no real experience in Cali J. Best of luck though.

Nick

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Jackie. I lived in San Mateo and loved it. Really Burlingame, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, San Mateo, they are fairly very close together. Traffic on the 101 sucks ass all the time, but the 280 on the other side is wicked. I was always cruising along that no problem. Ducati was located in Cupertino, right next to Sunnyvale.

Walnut Creek isn't bad area, but it's East bay and 'way away' from the fun stuff IMO. Living on the Bay costs more, but you ahve all the epic mountain roads, great city nearby (SF), etc. Living in SF is cool too, but I really liked have a parking spot and garage (San Mateo). SF was a whopping 30 minute ride away and the airport only 10 minutes from my place.

I lived here: 1664 Vista Del Sol, San Mateo, CA 94404 - Google Maps

Dove lived in the area longer than I did and probably has some good feedback as well.

Los Gatos is a cool little town to live in as well, which is easy commute to Sunnyvale. FWIW I was spending $2,200 month for a place in San Mateo with single car garage, parking space, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, porch, and lots of space in a private gated area (pools, hot tubs, etc). Housing out there is nuts... finding a place is tough, with people literally outbidding each other for spots. I looked a about a dozen places in SF and got sniped on almost all of them.

Boston --> San Diego

Thanks Alex... I'm going to start looking around that area, it looks like the best location. Sacramento is cheap as far as cost of living is concerned, but I suspect there's a reason for that.

Original

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Just be prepared to dish out mad cash to live closer to San Francisco. I was seeing rents for studios around $2500/month when I was out there last winter.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Steph was just telling me last night when she was working at a law office in Menlo Park they would rent out apartments for their clients and a one bedroom was in the 3 to 4k range. Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post
    Ugh... the least you could do is be more inventive than Jim. I'm so disappointed in you.
    I missed this post. Only two people I need to worry about disappointing in my life. Annalisa & Ethan.

Everyone else . . .

|

I lived in SF for 5 years, it's a once in a lifetime experience. And yes it is more expensive but it is doable. You can rent a room in a shared apartment for prob $700, a studio is like $1100 and a one bedroom can be as low as $1350 if you really look.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeyes View Post
    I lived in SF for 5 years, it's a once in a lifetime experience. And yes it is more expensive but it is doable. You can rent a room in a shared apartment for prob $700, a studio is like $1100 and a one bedroom can be as low as $1350 if you really look.
    That's probably what I'll end up doing (renting a room)... although I just looked at the compensation package for the job I'd be doing and I might be making a lot more than I originally thought I would

Original

Sacramento is the best option cost wise...but you'll get bored of it quick. It can be kinda sleepy. Inland valley california is flat, hot(summers) and a little sleepy in general. San fran and bay area is expensive everywhere. Across the bay is less expensive, but it's kinda, mmmm, don't go there... San Fran is my choice for cities in that state (including LA and SD), but it's a heavy price to live there if you have a desire for basic comforts...as it's hard to have toys and rent an apartment. Space is at a premium.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Jackie, the further north the better.

I spent some time in various areas of mid to southern CA and the southern parts sucked, IMHO.....no rain (or clouds for that matter). I need to have at least some rain and going 3 weeks without a drop is not okay in my book.

The thought has crossed my mind, but I have a roommate who still needs to live in the house. I guess I could ask her to find another roommate sooner, but its not really fair to her and the lease is in my name.
    Funny thing about that is I currently have 2 empty bedrooms where I'm at and, as you know, it's just me and the dog.......just sayin'.....everyone needs shelter.

I'm going back in 2 weeks, it's delicious there.

Everyone says they are moving there, if you actually make it - go to Benders or Zeitgeist...I'll buy you a drink. You can tell me how much you dislike me - it'll entertain my friends.

Bay Area Riders Forum is your friend.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

General Bike Related?

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dove View Post
    I'm going back in 2 weeks, it's delicious there.

Everyone says they are moving there, if you actually make it - go to Benders or Zeitgeist...I'll buy you a drink. You can tell me how much you dislike me - it'll entertain my friends.

Bay Area Riders Forum is your friend.
    I don't dislike you. I try to avoid that. Its bad karma and quite often a waste of energy.

:centerchi:

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL 441 View Post
    General Bike Related?
    I was originally hoping for suggestions of places to ride, IE where the best place to live for that would be.

Original

I grew up out there (Altadena). It is way nicer weather wise. Yes traffic sucks but there are some really nice areas to ride up in the foothills and along the coast. Lots of mountain paths with cliffs on the side and whatnot. It just a matter of where you actually pick to live. Do a little research you dont want to end up in a high crime area. You should pick a a couple days off and grab some last minute tickets off travelocity. then go there and drive around. Get a feel for the area. It really is a different world.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

I was originally hoping for suggestions of places to ride, IE where the best place to live for that would be.
    I am just jealous,

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

I know it isn't an adventure but I would suggest a couple of weeks to reconnoiter before committing.

If almost ALL your $$ are in housing then the fun budget won't be there. Even if you really want to I would really try to get a job you want then live near it.

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    I know it isn't an adventure but I would suggest a couple of weeks to reconnoiter before committing.

If almost ALL your $$ are in housing then the fun budget won't be there. Even if you really want to I would really try to get a job you want then live near it.
    That's exactly what I'm doing... I can do the job I want to do almost anywhere in the country, so I figure I'll try Cali for a few years. If I don't like it, I'm not stuck there. I can always move.

Original

That's exactly what I'm doing... I can do the job I want to do almost anywhere in the country, so I figure I'll try Cali for a few years. If I don't like it, I'm not stuck there. I can always move.
    Do it while you're young! You got the right idea

Lifer

Take me with you! My wife doesn't want to move...8-( The south Bay area is the best in my opinion. SF is too cold and damp. Mountain View and Sunnyvale are reasonable for that area, Palo Alto is more expensive becaus of Stanford. Lots of great places to ride, rt 9 to Santa Cruz, Berkley Hills, the foothills, etc...I would love to move there and get rid of this cold and snowy weather. There summers are without rain - did I mention that? I have a bunch of friends in the Bay area. Supposedly, also a high concentration of single "techie" guys...I agree about not going to Sacramento for the reasons previously mentioned.
    Good luck in your move!

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I'm 99% sure its going to be Sunnyvale, got a call today for an interview Thanksgiving week.

Original

Think you can fit me in your luggage?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Think you can fit me in your luggage?
    You're pretty skinny, probably. There will be room in the passenger seat of my car though, which may be more comfortable You'll just have to hold the dog.

Original

Oh Ill be holding my hog.

Oh wait, did you say dog?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Can we start a countdown???

|

Thanks Chuck! I know everyone will be excited to see me go, but you dont need to be so blatent about it.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast