Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)

Lifer

Re: Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)

$2k more and I've never sat on an Indian that impressed me. Seems like less bike for more $. In my opinion, Indian falls short on fit and finish. Polaris/Victory too.

This is my biggest thing about HD vs the rest. Say what you want about the engineering that goes into the bike, but HD NAILS the touch points. The bike feels rock solid from the handlebars to the turn signals to the floor boards to the shifters..

Conversely, the Japanese do this the worst. Terrible, plasticy controls. Instruments back-lit with cheap, garish colored LEDs that make everything look like a walmart stereo. I'd like to punch the clown that thinks its a good idea to put LCD instruments on a cruiser. And "extras" like cruise control bolted on in chincy control pods, so obviously an afterthought.

The Guzzi California was the same. Lots of cheaply chromed sheet metal for the sake of chromed sheet metal. And they really took the sack out of that 1400.

If you want a well engineered touring rig, buy a Gold Wing. I suspect there is no equal.
    If you don't care so much about engineering and just want a comfortable, usable, dare I say-reliable-everyday rider, I think the RK may be the one.

Love the blacked out look on that Indian though. If your pockets are that deep HD did a special version of the RK in that theme recently too.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 02-03-18 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I wouldn't worry, I'm sure if anyone can geek the fuck out of a Harley, you're that guy
    Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)-85018449-63e6-4954-b684-4682193109c8

It’s fun to be the anti-anti-conformist

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)-85018449-63e6-4954-b684-4682193109c8

It’s fun to be the anti-anti-conformist
    I’m in suspense. Did you make the corner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Of course?

Haven’t missed one yet, knock on wood, and there’s nothing unusual or unexpected happening in the photo. I’m exactly on my line and I’d be willing to bet the tires stayed inside that tar snake in the middle of my lane ahead of me, never mind over the yellow line. Yeah, it’s probably a bit more briskly paced than most RKs go thru there but wtf, there are photogs and stuff (haha)

That spark generating floorboard is hinged and moves when needed, so it doesn’t seem to upset the suspension any when it does it’s thing, at least not at that lean angle.

Here’s one goin the other way. Sorry to repost them but whatever, it’s on topic.
    Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)-be6f7ad6-e750-48bc-8a89-297cb48cbfb3

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Imbeek; 02-03-18 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    You might, in looking at bikes in this field, take a testride on a BMW K1600. It's a heck of a bike also.

PhilB
    To my mind folks buy GoldWings and Road Kings for two-up touring. Once you specify mostly solo, as you are suggesting a different list of “gentleman’s sport tourers” comes to mind, all of them supremely capable.

BMW makes five different K1600 models.
    BMW R1200RT has electric windshield and is another popular continent cruiser.
    Honda ST1300
    Kawasaki Concours
    Yamaha FJR1300

Last edited by Garandman; 02-04-18 at 04:33 AM.

Lifer

I see the GW and the HD Ultra and anything else with a permanent trunk to be the 2 up tourers, even though I generally use a trunk on my multi day rides.

The RK and Springfield are directly comparable with side bags and a windmill rather than a fairing.

My gentlemen’s ST list includes
    BMW 1200 RT - Very nice bikes, but the price is dear and my neighbor’s seems to be in the shop a lot.
    Honda ST1300 - I owned 2 and liked them, not made since 2010 (although they slapped some 2012 stickers on left overs)
    Yamaha FJR1300 - Lightest of the bunch and the most sporty,
    Kawasaki Concours - never quite liked to looks
    Triumph Trophy 1200 SE - New ‘17 can be had for 13k, but reliability and dealer network on the road are a concern

Lifer

The BMW R bikes are an interesting midpoint here, despite the styling, plastic and tech. I haven't ridden the latest water cooled example. But the older R 11-1200 motors do a decent job of splitting the difference between the satisfying 'round town tractor feel of the Harley with the surgical precision of the Wing or an I4. The R bikes make great torque and have a charismatic motor. Wrapped in RT tupperware you get a bike that has pretty good ergonomics. Pretty good wind and weather protection. And still has some aggression to its handling. Fun bikes.

Where I think they went wrong was packing them so full of tech. Stereos, integrated GPSes, keyless ignition and other garbage. It'd be really great to have a sport-touring BMW that lacked that crap. That was just a bike. I believe the latest R1200RT is the lightest yet. But it's farkin' YUGE! And my god, they want all the money for them. I think the RK is cheaper.

The wing gets the stereo and some of the electronics crap too. I'd love a F6B with some of the electronics ripped out of it. (But not the cruise, keep that!)

The RK appeals to me because it is outfitted just right; cruise, ABS, and little else. No stereo.

I hear you an do cool things with the R1200R standard. Those have last-gen R motors in them, not the new water cooled motor. They're pretty decontented by BMW stanards and that's reflected in the price. No wind or weather protection though. Some DIY/aftermarket solutions to that on ADV rider.

Once looking R1200RT, also look R1200GS and R1200RS. RS probably lacks the weather protection and has too aggressive ergos for serious mile consumption though.

Honda ST, Yamaha FJR and Kawasaki Concourse are older platforms and I think they show it. I like the FJR a lot, but not at their asking price; it's too close to modern machines like that R1200RT or even the Wing.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Remember, Kawasaki is rolling out a supercharged sport touring bike next year.....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Mine doesn’t have cruise, stereo, or even a passenger seat anymore. It has the quick detach windshield, which I love, and the riding position can be changed pretty easily and relatively cheaply with a swap of the handlebars, as long as the cables will still work. It came with some pretty unique beach bars and in the photos I’m running bars from a wide glide that cost under a hundred bucks.

RKs from the mid 2000s don’t have the latest bells and whistles and unfortunately don’t have the tallest gear that became available later, but they work just fine for US back road and highway use and are available on the used market for under 10 grand, some well under.

One equipment feature I really appreciate from this bike that I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t budge on, if I was looking for a bike and intending to ride it all day for multiple days, is the flexible/multiple foot positioning. I’m pretty sure I would rule out any bike where my feet have to stay in the same spot relative to my hips for hour on end. I remember even using the passenger pegs on my old bmw k100rs out of desperation on long rides...

Anyway, I’m surprised as anyone to love the bike, but it looks like the OP has ruled out the ol’ Hell’s Angels/Sons of Anarchy wannabe line (LOL) so I’m only posting this stuff for others who might be interested and I’m happy to shut up about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    To my mind folks buy GoldWings and Road Kings for two-up touring. Once you specify mostly solo, as you are suggesting a different list of “gentleman’s sport tourers” comes to mind, all of them supremely capable.

BMW makes five different K1600 models.
    BMW R1200RT has electric windshield and is another popular continent cruiser.
    Honda ST1300
    Kawasaki Concours
    Yamaha FJR1300
    Are you saying that the K1600 is not big enough for two-up touring? That's just silly.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

+1 The K1600GTL is BMW's answer to the 'wing. Right down to the cylinder count.
    The K1600B kind of interests me.
    That price tag though! Whoah!

One of the magical things about the RK is that you can detach the screen and basically have a naked touring bike. The narrow (relatively speaking) V-twin means open air riding from head to toes. That's pretty nifty.

I've posted this before and already forget the year. But I think it was 2012 or so where you get the newer frame and 1-piece primary/trans. I'm pretty sure cruise was an option as well. So I'd hold out for that. .. But really I'm so knocked out with my coworkers' 2014 with the rushmore bags and everything that I'd probably find the $ for a 14+ like the one linked above.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Are you saying that the K1600 is not big enough for two-up touring? That's just silly.

PhilB
    Lord no. They’re immense.

Some of the K1600 models are more often purchased by someone whose primary focus on one up touring, like the GT model my buddy uses in IronButt.

While other models have additional luggage of interest to primarily two-up riders, like the GTL, Grand America, etc. They even make a bagger model, but I’ve never seen one at YB rallies.

Personally, I find the K160 side covers to make the bike look bulky and unbalanced, but they seem to be selling well.

The R1200R for 2018 has the air/water cooled 125hp boxer. Not sure when they switched.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-04-18 at 02:40 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    The R1200R for 2018 has the air/water cooled 125hp boxer. Not sure when they switched.
    2014. Right after the GS.
    Then there was a stop-ride order where most were urged to park their brand new, $20k machines for the entire summer. Doh!

- - - Updated - - -

2014 Harley Davidson Road King many extras - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

Not gunna lie.. I want this.

- - - Updated - - -

2014 FLHR ROAD KING - motorcycles/scooters - by dealer - vehicle automotive sale

Epic color!!!

epic like a newborn's shits.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Of course?

Haven’t missed one yet, knock on wood, and there’s nothing unusual or unexpected happening in the photo. I’m exactly on my line and I’d be willing to bet the tires stayed inside that tar snake in the middle of my lane ahead of me, never mind over the yellow line. Yeah, it’s probably a bit more briskly paced than most RKs go thru there but wtf, there are photogs and stuff (haha)

That spark generating floorboard is hinged and moves when needed, so it doesn’t seem to upset the suspension any when it does it’s thing, at least not at that lean angle.

Here’s one goin the other way. Sorry to repost them but whatever, it’s on topic.
    Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)-be6f7ad6-e750-48bc-8a89-297cb48cbfb3
    I've been on a ride with Gary, and totally blown away seeing that big girl haul the mail. Gary for prez in 2020

Everyone shutup. He needs to get the new wing. End of discussion.

-I want to ride it, don't ruin this for me, dicks-

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

One equipment feature I really appreciate from this bike that I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t budge on, if I was looking for a bike and intending to ride it all day for multiple days, is the flexible/multiple foot positioning. I’m pretty sure I would rule out any bike where my feet have to stay in the same spot relative to my hips for hour on end. I remember even using the passenger pegs on my old bmw k100rs out of desperation on long rides...
    ADV bikes do okay here as the motor is usually exposed and/or they are perfectly socially acceptable to have "crash guards" bolted to them. Crash guards are a great place to throw some highway pegs.. or if you're a cheapass like me, just use as highway pegs as they are.

Hey Gary.. How do you keep your knarly davidson up? I cannot picture you being the type that rubs it with a diaper and keeps it well waxed. My coworker who has multiple 10's of thousands of miles on his late model RK says the HD finishes are pretty lousy and the bike is mostly good ol' steel. Thus the bike will rust easily if actually ridden and not kept after. He says he has slipped into something of a habit of washing, waxing and keeping up the bike much more than any he's ever owned before. Says the bike will look like ass in a hurry if you don't. Nothing like modern Japanese and Euro bikes which are 98% aluminum alloy these days.

I hadn't considered that. My 'strom is aluminum block, frame, swingarm, etc, etc. I sometimes wash it.. sometimes. He's over here talking about "anti corrosion treatment" and I'm like "what the hell is that?!"

There goes lunch...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    ADV bikes do okay here as the motor is usually exposed and/or they are perfectly socially acceptable to have "crash guards" bolted to them. Crash guards are a great place to throw some highway pegs.. or if you're a cheapass like me, just use as highway pegs as they are.

Hey Gary.. How do you keep your knarly davidson up? I cannot picture you being the type that rubs it with a diaper and keeps it well waxed. My coworker who has multiple 10's of thousands of miles on his late model RK says the HD finishes are pretty lousy and the bike is mostly good ol' steel. Thus the bike will rust easily if actually ridden and not kept after. He says he has slipped into something of a habit of washing, waxing and keeping up the bike much more than any he's ever owned before. Says the bike will look like ass in a hurry if you don't. Nothing like modern Japanese and Euro bikes which are 98% aluminum alloy these days.

I hadn't considered that. My 'strom is aluminum block, frame, swingarm, etc, etc. I sometimes wash it.. sometimes. He's over here talking about "anti corrosion treatment" and I'm like "what the hell is that?!"
    Yeah I’m not too good at the polishing part, but I try to keep the grime off it and wash it whenever I ride it and hit puddles, rain, or a ton of bugs. It’s obviously a bike that gets ridden a lot. I already replaced the spoked chrome wheels because I let them rust (with exact replacements I found cheap on Craigslist, WITH new tires already on them!). The bike has a lot less chrome than other road kings...none on the fenders, for example, and the painted bits hold up as well as any other painted motorcycle parts I’ve dealt with. If they had the all blacked out versions when I bought mine, I would’ve opted for that because I’ve always sucked at cleaning and polishing.

Last summer I bartered a deal with (professional private jet detailer and clean motorcycle freak) 5Toez on BoRn to detail my wife’s 82 cb750 for her birthday...he made that thing look awesome and I kept him company for a few hours while he did it by polishing up the road king. I gotta say, the RK looked really, really good afterwards too, even though I don’t keep up on it. The only part that still looked like shit when I was done was the fork lowers, which are supposed to be brushed aluminum (or covered with chrome accessories) and those look like shit from some chemical reaction when you leave bugs on them. When I get around to taking the forks to Kates, I plan to pay $100 for some black powder coated lowers off of eBay and use those instead.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

new yamaha Venture?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SVRACER01; 02-06-18 at 04:19 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    There goes lunch...
    that color actually isnt bad(for beige) and rare. dont see many of those

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Thumbs up Re: Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Remember, Kawasaki is rolling out a supercharged sport touring bike next year.....

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    RS probably lacks the weather protection and has too aggressive ergos for serious mile consumption though.
    Fair point with weather protection, but I don't find the ergos aggressive at all. Very comfortable and easily can go 300+ miles in a day if you want. And I'm a lot older than you Bubs!

So after a K1300s an RS doesn't have aggressive ergos. Fair point .

Just giving some hell.

I fully expect that all of the BMW "touring" motorbikes are completely adequate for what they are designed to do. There are plenty of people who've done +1000 mile days on the RS / RT series bikes.

There are also plenty of people who've done those days on GL's and RK's (but Ultra's seem to be more popular for really putting on miles, of course this is just my non HD informed opinion).

The only HD I've been on was an 80's something dyna something. Fucking thing couldn't keep the bolts attached to the bike. I rode it less than a mile and the breather fell off. It kinda spoiled my opinion. I do understand that things have changed. First impressions and all (logically I understand I should reconsider... I'm not sure I'm capable... Seeing bits fall off the bike is... concerning. The owner of said bike saying it happens all the time didn't really help).

It really comes down to a matter of style.

If you want a bike that is shiny and requires some polishing, but won't keep up with any sort of other bike, the RK/Ultra is your best bet.
    If you want a bike that isn't required to be polished, but doesn't look awful, but if you are willing to ride to its edges to keep up with other street bikes, the GL is your best bet.
    If you want to make sure that you can keep up with everyone else on the streets, get one of the other "gentleman tourers" (Beemers, Concours, Trophy, FJR).

If not for some personal issues I'd already have one of the 18+ wings on order. Such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    new yamaha Venture?
    I like the look of these quite a bit too.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast