Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)

Re: Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)

With the glut of used Harleys on the mkt. I would not even try to sell my 2000 Road King nor would it get me much as a trade in. I have ridden the new one and its a big upgrade over what I have just cant justify the cost. But they are cool. I might just put a new motor and 6 speed in the old girl. Cost wise it makes more sense.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 03-25-18 at 04:25 PM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    With the glut of used Harleys on the mkt. I would not even try to sell my 2000 Road King nor would it get me much as a trade in. I have ridden the new one and its a big upgrade over what I have just cant justify the cost. But they are cool. I might just put a new motor and 6 speed in the old girl. Cost wise it makes more sense.
    not sure what you mean by new motor and im not sure a 6 speed will go in that bike. maybe baker makes one. best you can do is hop up the current motor in there and it will still never be as good as the M8

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Engines are easy to find and replace many off the self kits from a host from manufactures even HD sells replacements. The transmission on a Harley is a complete separate unit and can also be replaced with either a factory unit or after mkt. one. looks like 9-11G for both depending on how hopped up you want to go. I could also rebuilt the motor and the transmissions can be retro fitted with a sixth gear kit for half that. and yes its not going to be close to a new ride but as I stated cost is a big issue, Not shelling out 20G plus for a new HD.

Last edited by MUZ720; 03-27-18 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    not sure what you mean by new motor and im not sure a 6 speed will go in that bike. maybe baker makes one. best you can do is hop up the current motor in there and it will still never be as good as the M8
    Do you even Harley, bro?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

..and yes its not going to be close to a new ride but as I stated cost is a big issue, Not shelling out 20G plus for a new HD.
    $9-11k is late 96 twin-cam money. That's with the 6-speed, newer chassis, etc. Maybe an early 103. Probably not a rushmore era machine though. What do you think your 2000 would fetch? If more than about $4k, then you'd definitely be into the rushmores ('14+).

I stand by my target; 2014-2016 RK with <10k miles, relatively unmolested. The 103 is good 'nuf for me. But I really want the rest of the jam.

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-27-18 at 02:27 PM.

Not sure what's it worth. I might ride it down to the local dealer and kick some tires. Once spring get here. My 88 is long on noise short on HP. A 103 would be cool.

One of my favorite things about the Goldwing has always been how much torque it makes early.

It seems that there are some people all up in arms because it might produce less HP than the previous model.

Meh. It's producing 100 ft-lbs at 1100 rpm according to dyno tests and the curve is pretty flat after that (it does reduce, as HP comes up, well, because HP is a factor of torque and RPM).

Gold Wing vs. Road King ??? (maybe Triumph as well)-1818-png
    It looks like it is making more torque earlier. It's probably awful.
    (In all honestly I have heard some not so great things about the suspension, but that wouldn't be different than the last 20 years).

Lifer

That torque plot makes me grin. I bet that motor is a peach.
    Still wish they made a version with a detachable fairing.

I've watched a bunch of the videos the guy at Traxxion put out about the new wings they've seen. If I were a previous GL1800 owner, I'm pretty sure I'd hang out, love the one I was with for a few more years and see where things go. I mean, the previous GL1800 was an overall fantastic bike. Not like you're riding a POS or anything.

Yeah, Max's videos on the suspension don't make it look great, but it's also important to keep in mind what Max's job is.

He was at least as critical of the previous gen suspension (just not on YouTube), which isn't without it's problems either.

I'm pretty sure that you can address a big part of Max's complaints about the suspension with just a couple springamathings. The trouble with that is that if you're taking the shocks out anyway... We'll see.

Lifer

I just can't help myself. I'm sold on upgrading suspension. Can't remember riding a street bike and thinking "yeah, this suspension would do". I'd feel compelled to screw with anything I get.

Part of why I wound up passing on the new 2018 Road King. Yeah, the suspension is all new and yeah, it's better. But not better enough. Confident I can make a earlier used bike handle just as good for (way) less than the delta between new and used. You can even buy the 2018 rear shocks straight from Harley and fit them on your used bike. Or you can go mo' bettah with something aftermarket. Sky's the limit man.

'Wing story is a bit different as it is a pretty substantial change in design. Interested to hear if it works as well as Honda says it does, upgraded or not.

Lifer

My friend has a 90s Harley and is considering a Triumph Rocket and asked what I knew about it because I owned a triumph... but I never really paid attention to bikes like that. What’s the general concensus on the Rocket? Seems unnecessarily huge, with other companies doing that style of bike a lot longer...

Engines are easy to find and replace many off the self kits from a host from manufactures even HD sells replacements. The transmission on a Harley is a complete separate unit and can also be replaced with either a factory unit or after mkt. one. looks like 9-11G for both depending on how hopped up you want to go. I could also rebuilt the motor and the transmissions can be retro fitted with a sixth gear kit for half that. and yes its not going to be close to a new ride but as I stated cost is a big issue, Not shelling out 20G plus for a new HD.
    thanks for the clarification. i have some knowledge on HD products.
    thats not going to work without major fabrication...if at all. the chassis has changed 3 or 4x since your bike. you arent going to just drop a 103 with a 6 speed in there. at best you can probably put a a 95" big bore kit and a baker 6 speed if you want to keep it reliable. if you dont care about reliability then go bigger. S&S im sure makes some dumb and useless.

best bet...sell it...buy something 07+.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 04-02-18 at 09:28 AM.
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I just can't help myself. I'm sold on upgrading suspension. Can't remember riding a street bike and thinking "yeah, this suspension would do". I'd feel compelled to screw with anything I get.

Part of why I wound up passing on the new 2018 Road King. Yeah, the suspension is all new and yeah, it's better. But not better enough. Confident I can make a earlier used bike handle just as good for (way) less than the delta between new and used. You can even buy the 2018 rear shocks straight from Harley and fit them on your used bike. Or you can go mo' bettah with something aftermarket. Sky's the limit man.

'Wing story is a bit different as it is a pretty substantial change in design. Interested to hear if it works as well as Honda says it does, upgraded or not.
    never been a fan of the HD air shocks. i loved the coil overs.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    never been a fan of the HD air shocks. i loved the coil overs.
    They seem universally hated.
    My issue with the "emulsion" shocks HD offers is .. well, why stop there. If you've got the wallet open, why not go for something nicer.
    That said, I'm not going Ohlins or anything that far. Can't see that being worthwhile. Surely there is something in between.
    Research I have bothered to do so far says baggers and remote reservoirs don't mix without a lot of work.

What's available for gas charged, nearly-good-as-remote reservoirs? Something that can be serviced? Maybe with something with some clickers that I'll never touch?

Bitubo WMEs got suggested in that other thread that I started. Traxxion is the US dealer, me guesses. Looks like they are rebuildable and have preload and rebound dampening adjustments (which is enough). Although no applications listed for '14+ RKs.. only pre 13. $550 price tag seems reasonable.

JRI's are well reviewed. Bit more $.

Progressive 444's seem the go-tos. Not adjustable except for preload. Nor servicable though.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a set of GS-3 shocks from RaceTech. The base model GS-3 shocks are $800 for the pair. Then do a set of springs and gold valves in the front for about another $250.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

that gear set will work.

the long block program just gets you the same engine you already have. yes you can get them with a big bore kit installed already but you could spend way less money just installing the go fast parts in your own perfectly running engine. unless you just have a surplus of $100 bills you need to get rid of. if thats the case i can help relieve you of them.
    EDIT: i should also note, that you will still have to remove all the covers (rocker, cam etc) to install on the longblock AND strip the old engine down and split the cases so you can send them the engine VIN. that sounds totally worth it

your last link is basically the same thing. spend a bunch of money on a whole engine when all you really need is slugs, jugs, cams and heads.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 04-02-18 at 11:20 AM.

Yes rebuilding the motor is and has always been a option. And easy enough. Your statement was I could not replace these motors and transmissions. If I read it correctly? HD probably has the biggest aftermarket network of all the brands. And anything can be had for the right amount of 100s . Mine not so much.

thats not what i said. what i said was i wasnt sure you could just drop a 6 speed in there, but i had forgotten about the gearset option. i DID say you cant put a 103 in there because it doesnt go there. you can most definitely buy another motor from HD but it will be what you already have. so why?
    you can go aftermarket but why?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    If it were me, I'd be looking at a set of GS-3 shocks from RaceTech. The base model GS-3 shocks are $800 for the pair. Then do a set of springs and gold valves in the front for about another $250.
    Mmm, good call. No clickers to fiddle with though.

Bitubo WMEs got suggested in that other thread that I started. Traxxion is the US dealer, me guesses. Looks like they are rebuildable and have preload and rebound dampening adjustments (which is enough). Although no applications listed for '14+ RKs.. only pre 13. $550 price tag seems reasonable. < This

Talk to Dan at Traxxion about the Bitubo's.
    I wanted to buy a more expensive shock for the Road Bling and he talked me out of it. Sold me the Bitubo's. They are a huge improvement.
    AK-20's in the front and the Bitubo's out back. Works well despite the travel limitations out back.

Lifer

Update, a shocking surprise is coming...

The VFR1200X is for sale, will be posted here tomorrow. Also unloading the old vfr800 for cheap, again to be posted tomorrow.

Big changes in a counter-NESR-norm direction as I think about riding changes to suit my own changing circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

I guess I just don't get it with a street bike. I have always been satisfied with garbage suspension on the street, because it never really mattered.

Maybe it's more of an old guy thing.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I'm pretty sure if I weighed 170 lbs it'd be a different issue than it is at my weight

Throwing some money, at least and the boingy parts is worth it in my opinion. I get all the damping, but somewhat agree with you, for street application. That said, I do notice some strange tire wear, that I'm reasonably sure would be addressed by proper valving. Is the juice worth the squeeze? I don't know.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Update, a shocking surprise is coming...
    Doeitup!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Also unloading the old vfr800 for cheap, again to be posted tomorrow.
    Argh!

I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR.
    I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR. I do not need a VFR.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Maybe it's more of an old guy thing.
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I'm pretty sure if I weighed 170 lbs it'd be a different issue than it is at my weight
    This.

I also am a pervert and enjoy modifying motorcycles. Some days I wonder if I enjoy wrenching on them more than riding them?! It's possible.
    I have 13 miles of my own on my newest conquest.. and last night I took the front nacelle apart, spent the night pouring over FLHP vs FLHR (police vs civilian) wiring diagrams. No real particular goal, 'cept to geek the fuck out. Maybe, just maybe get a GPS wired in.
    Wife is baffled.

I'm also addicted to a well balanced suspension. Changed the V-Strom from to . Ditto for the DRZ. Gotta believe it's worth a few $ in this application too.

The delta here is the bike is like 4x my weight where as the 'strom was 2x and DRZ more like 1.5x.. And your target demographic for Harley FL platform machines is a little different too.
    We shall see. May be pissing into the wind here.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast