Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GoPro - What to get?

GoPro - What to get?

Diving into my first GoPros. I'm thinking about getting Hero 5 Black and Hero 5 Session. What accessories should I get with it? Will be primarily used for commuting and showing everyone how slow I can ride. I have access to 50% off everything (friend works there) so looking to get stocked up all at once. Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: GoPro - What to get?

Isn't the session self contained?? Meaning you can't take out the battery?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Session, chin mount, done

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Session, chin mount, done
    Ok, so what's the chin mount? I'm using GoPro's website

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    Isn't the session self contained?? Meaning you can't take out the battery?

I have a session and you are correct, cannot remove the battery and put in a charged one. For my purposes on the track, I really like the session. And it saves me weight versus the hero's

Last edited by Tas; 03-24-17 at 09:13 PM.
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Ok.. that's what I thought.. so the only downside is, once the battery won't hold a charge anymore then the cam is useless??

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    Ok.. that's what I thought.. so the only downside is, once the battery won't hold a charge anymore then the cam is useless??

Yep, you'd have to charge it before you can use it again.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

lol...are you guys running security cameras while riding?

I personally found it rare that I'd need more than 2 hours of continuous record time

1.) track day/dirt bike moto's are 20 mins

2.) even if you're going on a 1-2 hour ride, don't record all of it - start/stop the camera periodically (ie. when you stop) to have smaller data files vs. a 20gb video...during slab times, definitely turn it off

3.) you can get an external battery charger (think like cell phone power banks), but will need to put in back back and run wire

4.) if at the track, commuting, or MX sessions - just charge after every few moto's or when you get home/work

chin mount can be proshotcam

or regular curved gopro surface mount

or adapted one if you have a lot of contours on helmet

but I've seen more creative ideas than that...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 03-24-17 at 11:05 PM.

I'm still using a GoPro Hero3+ Black and it works great for 1080p @ 60FPS. I have my eyes on a Hero5 or Sony FDR X3000 for 1080p @ 120FPS. For high speed shooting (like action sports or motorbikes) I'll take all the FPS I can get. 60FPS is decent for most purposes though, and higher frame rates increase video size.

The Hero5 offers slightly better FPS & features than the Session (120FPS @ 1080p vs. 90FPS @ 1080p). Also I usually carry a full battery plus 3 spares, and swap often. A couple hours just isn't enough if you're going out for the day and want to shoot freely. You can use an external battery and plug in though. The Session is definitely appealing for "set it and forget it" and being lightweight. The Hero3+ on a chin mount does add a bit of weight which becomes noticeable at high speeds, when the wind wants to push my helmet down.

If you want to capture decent audio, the internal mic will most likely be shit. The Sony ECM-ES3 is a decent, very cheap external mic you can plug in without much fuss. Run into your helmet w/ a deadcat for voice or to the tail section for exhaust/engine notes. Ultimately, if you want great audio a separate device is needed. I use a Tascam DR-40 4-channel linear PCM recorder and Audio Technica AT8533 w/ Phantom power which gives superb audio with the option of using the built-in mic + external mic on separate channels. Mounted the Tascam in my tail last fall and captured some sweet exhaust notes which were later synced with video in Premiere. Tricky getting the levels set, but compare 20 minutes of wind blasting in the shitty internal mic vs. isolated engine/exhaust/voice capture and it takes video from unbearable to hnngggg. The audio stuff is probably way over the top for what most of us are doing but thought I'd mention it.. plan on tinkering with mic placement some in the Spring to capture engine sound just for fun and possible diagnostic purposes.

For accessories, just get whatever mounts you need (sticky helmet mount has worked fine for me). Surfboard mounts worked well for fairing placement. Make sure it has a tether. Also I highly recommend getting a few GoPro-to-tripod adapters so you can mount on any camera-compatible tripod. Then get a mini tripod for $5-10 and you can place it on almost any surface & angle it without fuss. Lots of options for GoPro tripods too. Chest & headstrap mount have been useful for some camping/snowshoeing/activities but not much on the bike. Used handlebar mounts on the motorcycles and for quite a bit of MTB but vibration is always the #1 issue. Your body is the best damper, so if you must mount it on the bike go for non-hard-parts (like fairings).

You can get generics for most accessories/doodads on eBay for well under 50% and most are fine. The SmaTree batteries + charger have worked out really well for me, many many hours no fails even in super cold/hot temps.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    lol...are you guys running security cameras while riding?
    Haha, I definitely want to! A separate always-on camera running off bike power with looping save of the last few hours... heck yes. Would want a separate system from my GoPro though, something purpose-built, just in case of an accident or who know, an asteroid exploding in the air and my GoPro battery just died

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

^ they make those!

It's a front and rear looping/deleting motorcycle dash cam

Personally, I prefer the Session just for it's simplified OS, lighter weight, and lack of plastic housing. There is a place to tether the can built in which makes things even simpler at teh track.

That said I have cracked the glass twice now. Replacements are cheap though and takes a minute to swap. I did see a lexan replacement that I may try next.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Skip the go-pro, get a Contour instead.