Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I just gotta do it

Talking I just gotta do it

It's time to drop the sportbike and get a streetlegal supermoto I been tossing the idea around for a coupla weeks now and have been doing the research and whatnot for what would be involved for each individual bike. Not 100% sure on which bike yet, but it's between the Yamaha WR450 (04) and a KTM 525sx (03) already in SM trim.
    I'm still waiting for a price and confirmation on the KTM but i did get a price i REALLY like on the WR

When it comes down to money and final costs of setting both bikes up with DOT lighting, assuming i can get the ktm at what i think i can, there's only about a $300 difference.
    It's hard to beleive the 2 bikes balance out at the same costs, especially when the KTM comes with the Supermoto wheels, tires, and brakes already on the bike, not to mention you get ALL the dirt stuff that came on the bike. The KTM is more money for the bike and besides the dualsport kit, you have to add a lighting coil and stator. The dualsport kit is also a bit more for the ktm as it doesn't have a batttery or voltage regulator. Also, it needs a kickstand

The WR has the lighting coil and charging system, kickstand, electric start, and the dualsport kit is cheaper because it has a battery and regulator. I'd have to buy the dualsport kit, supermoto wheels, tires and tubes, and "maybe" upgrade the front brakes, though i'm not sure it'll be nessassary on the street.

Now the complication of registration , the KTM has a huge advantage over the WR, it comes with a street legal title even though it's a MX bike, so i go to the registry here in RI and get my plate hassle free The WR has the usual "for offroad use only stamp on the title" It's not a big deal but i won't be able to register it in RI. I can however register it as a homebuilt/salvage in Maine as long as i can show i pay some sort of property tax in the state of Maine, which i do. I pay a whopping $135 per year property tax on the five acres of land i own up there Not to worried about the salvage/homebuilt title deal, as long as i get a LEGAL plate, i'm happy.

I'm leaning for the Yamaha, but when i get the final word on the KTM, i'll have some thinking to do. Both would make pretty cool supermoto street rides

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Lifer

I just gotta do it

Is that how you registered your R7 as well?

You were only able to do it because you own property somewhere else?

Or was that another trick altogether?

I know you explained it last year but at the time I didn't realize you owned property somewhere else.

Ben

I just gotta do it

Mark, I am planning on motarding an XR when I get it. I understand your desire for one dude.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

I just gotta do it

No Ben, the R7 was another "trick" and is and always was legally registered in RI. I don't think that "trick" will work again My plans when i bought the R7 was to register it in Vt and get a Vt title, then transfer it to RI but we tried RI first and it went through

Yeah Rye, after riding the 426 up and down my street and on the track, all i thought about was how fun a street ride it would be

Yamaha