Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

"He Gotta Pipe" - Mini Madness

Re: "He Gotta Pipe" - Mini Madness

Yeah the wheels that come on the bike.

Although it sounds like for minimoto tires you want to have the same size front and rear wheel...? I can find 14" front and 12" rear tires. But if you want 12 front and rear, you'd want to get a 12" front wheel ... Is that easy to find for these SSR thingies? Wonder if the distro company could do the swap or sell it as an additional part...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

12" 'motard' wheel sets are cake to source for those machines. You can get them in narrow (1.6") or wider spoked formats, and sometimes in mag style for more cash.

Piranha Aluminum 12" Black Super Moto Wheel set - WHS-1315B - Wheels & Parts - Pit Bike Chassis Parts - TBolt USA, LLC

If you're not looking to race hardcore, I'd just run the stock rims. You can get a 90/90-14 Battleax SC for the front that won't be bad. In back a 100/90-12 BT-601, or TT-93, etc will give a usable profile on the stock rim.

Word! Good notes, thanks.

If I get the bike I'll probably just order the tires to fit on the stock rims.

Do you just do tire swaps yourself with some spoons and such? Or are they a bitch...

Guess you'd wanna keep a couple extra tubes kicking around too

Guess the mag-style setup and tubeless would be the baller way to go, and if so, you might as well just order the 12/12 setup.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Tire irons and good lube ala Ru-Glyde from NAPA and it's not a terrible process to swap tires yourself. Take your time, small bites with the irons and you shouldn't wreck the tube.

I see the site you linked to has the bike for about the same price. Any experience with both vendors and suggestions on one vs the other? Probably doesn't matter if they're just sending you a bike in a box.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Vince at TBolt helped me out quite a bit when I was big into pitbike racing, I like working with him, I don't have any direct experience with the vendor you posted. That said, you're going to be getting a crate with a bike in it, as long as nothing is messed up necessitating a warranty claim your interaction is going to be a little paperwork and a payment with either.

Hmm well i may have just ordered the bike... LOL

Kurlon I can't seem to find the bridgestone front you're talking about.

Did find this pirelli front at mc superstore in a 90/90-14

Pirelli Diablo Performance Front Scooter Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

Looking for a 100/90-12 as you suggested for the rear on that same site yields no options... I assume that's a typo? I see the TT93 in a 120/80-12 or the pirelli diablo in a 130/70-12. This is just one site but they seem to have a decent selection (and I can grab some irons and lube, too). Unless you were serious about the 100/90-12 and have another site to suggest? Would like to order both tires from one place if possible...

ETA: I should also note the two rear tire options I mentioned, the dunlop is 96 bucks and the pirelli is 59. They are diff profiles though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by CEO; 08-11-15 at 05:06 PM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

God damnit Kurlon! I've got an itchy trigger (buy click) finger today and I need a damn answer so I can make some more bad decisions!

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Sorry, was helping a friend rebuild a washing machine.

Dunlop TT93 GP Front Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

That's a front tire... you're saying to put that on the 12" rear wheel on the SSR I ordered?

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Absolutely. Front, rear, it doesn't really matter on these small bikes.

OK... so:

Is the Pirelli Diablo 90/90-14 a reasonable front tire to use on the 14" front wheel? I can't find the bridgestone you mentioned. or suggest a different/better front tire from the same place or somewhere else...

And then you're saying to use the 100/90-12" front dunlop tire on the 12" rear wheel. Sounds like the wider rear tires meant for "real" scoots are too wide and get pinched on the wheels. I get that.

Just want to be sure here before I drop the coin...

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Would a KLX 110 be a good way to get into this dirt track nonsense? I may just make another bad decision of my own.

How late in the fall does this run? I can't really justify doing it unless it goes past NYST's season...

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

The Diablo should work decently. Primary problem with 14" wheels is finding tires that aren't ridiculously huge, the 90/90 will still have a reasonable profile on a skinny rim. In back, same idea, you don't NEED a 120 for tooling around. IF you do go the 120 route, get a 120/80 instead of a 120/70 or 120/60, you need that sidewall height to have a fighting chance of having a usable profile.

As examples:

- A bad 14" tire choice: http://www.x386.net/TTR/media/CRF70F-Motard1.jpg
    - Not enough sidewall height on a 12" rim: http://www.x386.net/TTR/media/CRF70F-Tire1.jpg
    - A pair of Dunlop 120/80-12 on skinny 12" rims: http://www.x386.net/TTR/media/PR/front-in-progress.jpg
    - Same 120/80-12, front view: http://www.x386.net/TTR/media/unsorted/DSC00134.JPG
    - Dunlop 100/90-12 on skinny 12" rim in front: http://www.x386.net/TTR/media/unsorted/HPIM0358.JPG

Makes sense. So 90/90-14 pirelli up front and 100/90-12 Dunlop out back. Sounds like a plan.

A.k.a. I'll be injuring myself in the infield after a few beers in no time...

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

swapped 35 pilot-> 38, and BAM - bike idles great!

allowed me to drop the slide via that idle speed screw so the rpm's don't hang at all when you let off the gas...roll on is nice and smooth with no hesitation going WOT...slight popping under decel/closed throttle; but IIRC the stock bike would do it a little. I will try the 40 pilot, but the 38 seems to be the magic ticket with a stock exhaust that has no spark arrestor/gutted.

it made a great learner bike for a chick

next stop - XR80R front rim, tires, and sumo setup!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-11-15 at 10:43 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Very annoyed with powersports distro...

Tuesday, place order, get confirmation email
    Thursday, check status of order online since no email of shipping
    Online account shows no orders
    Call them and ask what's up, she mumbles around and says she'll call me back
    4 hours later get an order email that looks like another confirmation but down in the comments it says they are out of that bike until september and will refund me
    Uh, thanks? Nice job managing your inventory, keeping the customer updated promptly, managing your payments system, and providing good communcation

Just placed a new order at TBolt which I probably should have just done from the beginning...

Hoping the actual refund is processed correctly and quickly from psports distro since my card already charged and cleared back on tuesday... seems they're quick with that, if nothing else.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

In case you XR100 guys are looking for TRS pins for your bikes. There available.TRS pins for CRF 100 - 13x Forums

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

AWESOME PRICE FOR AN XR80 FRONT WHEEL!!

1997 1998 1999 2000 Honda XR80 XR80R Front Rim Tire | eBay

$35 shipped!!!

@NHBUBBA - buy it now and buy your bike later!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

BTW I did order the bike from tbolt and it drop-shipped from ssr the same day. Recommend them to all over powersports distro or any of those others.

The tires Kurlon told me to buy have showed up. Hey, should I have also ordered new tubes? I know some people said they run the heavy duty tubes or something.

I also ordered a 2stage uni air filter for the bike off of ebay for 20 bucks.

Supposed to be delivered tomorrow... we'll see what happens. Although the garage is getting pretty damn full now that I have that kdx too! Sheesh...

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Get two sets, that way when you're pissed at pinching the first set...

Lifer

You'll find you always have n-1 tubes on hand, where n is the number you currently need. This is one of those ask me how I know kinds of things.

Can someone suggest a good brand/type/size/etc for tubes?

I'll have a 14" front wheel with a 90/90-14 tire and a 12" rear wheel with a 100/90-12 tire

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty are rugged bastards, and as the name suggests, heavy. They're also expensive.

Something along the lines of a 2.75 x 14 for the front, 3x12 for the rear should be in the right ballpark.

Just wondering what the logic is behind running an HD tube on a mini tard. I get it for woods riding, bit I'd think saving rotating mass would be the focus here.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast