Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GP->Barber, eh?

GP->Barber, eh?

Just read the following on some list I get at times....consider it completely unreliable from whatever the orginal was....but it brought up an interesting [to me] point...is Barber a good racing track or a good trackday track?:

"The latest edition of MOTO-EURO Magazine, issued for the MotoGP, contains an article/interview with Kenny Roberts. The article/interview contains Kenny's view of Barber for a potential USGP at some point in the near future. As you know, Kenny, along with Wayne, Eddie and Kevin, were primarily responsibly
    for bringing the MotoGP back to the US and also responsible for persuading Yamaha to contribute the $2,000,000.00 to help improve the track. Obviously, Kenny knows what type of track conditions are required for a MotoGp.

Kenny Roberts: "I would say Watkins Glen, with a little bit of money, could be a great circuit, and Elkhart Lake. Those are the only two that I see. Barber is an awful race track. I don't know who designed it. It's like your average golfer going out and designing a golf course: no one's going to play it. They have people who just don't know designing race tracks. I look at designs all the time and I just laugh; they just simply don't get it. You see race tracks built all the time that just don't have any thought in them; in passing lanes.........."

I never rode Barber, and am guilty of [ignorantly] promoting it for an alternative US GP site in future 'cause it looks cool....so whoever's been (raced) there, would it be a good GP site? It sure looks awesome to trackday there, but racing's different than trackday'ing....passing areas are key. Would also be cool for it to be in WG...not such a long trip to go there and what a classic course.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 MS4

GP->Barber, eh?

People who race there say it's a 'fun' track but way too small for larger bikes. The Superbikes can't even get outta 3rd gear I believe. Sounds like Loudon.

So no. I don't see it becoming a MotoGP track in it's current state. Apparently George Barber was all pumped up over the success of the USGP thou and wants MotoGP bad. He's got the money. Probably could add on more to the current track and make it larger, and flow better.

Personally I'd love to ride there. Then again I race a wee little bike.

Boston --> San Diego

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

GP->Barber, eh?

a friend that lives in monterey told me that moto gp signed a 5 year deal with Laguna so its at least there for that long

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports