Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GPS App

GPS App

Anyone know of an android GPS app that will take you from A to B while giving preference to decent bike routes?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: GPS App

TomTom.

$25, has "winding road" feature. 3 Settings within winding roads, min, medium and max. REALLY good. I used it to get all the way to Savannah GA. Spent a total of 1.5 hours on highways from here to there.

- - - Updated - - -

That was on IOS, but I imagine they have one for Android as well.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Cool, I'll check it out. I'm going to head up to Maine this afternoon and want to avoid 3 hours of 95.

Edit: iOS only. Anything else?

Last edited by -Dutch-; 09-06-15 at 01:08 PM.

Do it the old fashioned way. Open a map or use google. Find one that is squiggly and route. Cant be that hard.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

Yeah, I know. I was hoping to get something quick and easy, trying to get out the door asap.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I ended up making a route on my computer and sending it to the phone. The thing that sucks about that is if you miss a turn *raises hand* it automatically reroutes with the quickest route again. A bit annoying.

I do have an iPhone 4 kicking around so I downloaded the TomTom app and checked out the winding roads settings. This thing is tits, thanks for the heads up.

With TomTom iOS app, can you create your own custom routes and still use turn by turn feature?

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by mycirus View Post
    Do it the old fashioned way. Open a map or use google. Find one that is squiggly and route. Cant be that hard.
    I swear...I used to do all my riding with a map in my tank bag. And I always knew where I was. I've been using a GPS for a long time now and while it has advantages, if I want to just go off the route planned I often have no fucking idea where I am or even which way is north....

I've thought about doing an old school map ride but there are two problems. First, the maps don't seem as good as they used to and second, my mapcover on my tank bag is now filled with other shit...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dutch- View Post
    I do have an iPhone 4 kicking around so I downloaded the TomTom app and checked out the winding roads settings. This thing is tits, thanks for the heads up.
    What's so good about it? Is it the route it picks or that the navigation is bike-friendly (big buttons and whatnot)?

It's what I've been looking for four months. Turn by turn nav that will choose good roads and reroute via those roads if necessary.

That's where Google maps fell flat. You can create a map and use it as an overlay, but there's no navigation. You can also plan a route but if you miss a turn it automatically reroutes via the quickest way.

Glad you like it. I used it almost exclusively all the way to Savannah GA and back. It sure allowed me to see the country unlike anything I'd see on the highway. Best $25 I've spent on any app. Just let it plan out Min, Med and Max winding and pick the one that suits your timetable best.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I bought the TomTom app 30 day trial last night for $1 just to try it. Can't say much about the winding road feature yet but after a few test routes it seems like it won't take you through the realllly twisty stuff. It'll do secondary highways or slightly more local than that. Still, better than other apps out there.

How do I upload a custom GPX file with my own routes?

O and the UI needs a major update. It's like from 2005 or something.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by -Dutch- View Post
    It's what I've been looking for four months. Turn by turn nav that will choose good roads and reroute via those roads if necessary.

That's where Google maps fell flat. You can create a map and use it as an overlay, but there's no navigation. You can also plan a route but if you miss a turn it automatically reroutes via the quickest way.
    Mapquest app allows you to create a map, send to phone and have turn by turn navigation.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    Mapquest app allows you to create a map, send to phone and have turn by turn navigation.
    EXCELLENT! I think MapQuest app as you described + TomTom's winding road feature will be good enough for me.