Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GPS with custom routes.

GPS with custom routes.

I'm looking to do some touring this coming season. Would like to get a GPS, stand alone or iPhone, that would allow me to create custom routes on the computer and load it onto the GPS or iPhone and be able to follow along.

What are people using out there that aren't going to cost an arm and leg?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Re: GPS with custom routes.

Tomtom Rider 2 4.3 with TYRE software

Also winding road feature is the bomb

should be $339 or so

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I'll have to disagree with Stromper -- Tomtom's GPS units have pretty limited functionality aside from basic routing. The Rider does at least let you import custom routes. Many of their lower-end automotive units are strictly point A to point B.

Garmin offers more variety in features and capabilities. There are a number of options available besides the Zumo line (their motorcycle-specific units, which I actually don't like much). The Oregon and Montana series of handheld units are popular with motorcyclists; they're ostensibly hiking/outdoors units, but are excellent for on-road use with the City Navigator mapset installed, and offer much more extensive features in terms of track recording/following, trip computer options, etc. I've been using an Oregon 300 (one of the first-gen units) for about five years now, and it's been great. It's accompanied me all over the eastern half of this continent and worked great the whole time.

Garmin's BaseCamp software works really well for building complex routes on your computer and then uploading them (along with associated waypoints, points of interest, etc) to your Oregon, Montana, or Zumo.

I was a Tomtom fan before, and still like them for automotive use, but I find Garmin to be a much better choice for motorcycle use. And as for iPhone apps, don't bother. There are no really good ones, and none as far as I'm aware that let you build a custom route on your computer and upload it (the best app I've found is Copilot, which does let you build custom routes but only within the iPhone app -- and unfortunately it doesn't seem to back them up, so if you upgrade phones you have to recreate all your custom routes).

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 2555 LMT. I have a hacked up Garmin car adapter kit hardwired to the bike for power. I use a RAM cradle and a gross conglomeration of RAM goodies, bits of aluminum bar, and hardware from the junk drawer to mount it. When it rains, I put a sandwich baggie over it and keep riding.

Cost for the unit was $105 shipped. IMO, this one is easy to overthink.

Last edited by nhbubba; 12-29-14 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Depends on what you want to do with it. Problem with a lot of the basic automotive units is that they don't allow custom routing -- they may do a great job showing you the quickest way to get to a specific destination, but they're useless if you want to plan out a complex route. Even those that do allow custom routing are very feature-limited in other ways.

I need my GPS to do a number of different things simultaneously, hence my preference for higher-end units.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Lifer

The one I listed does routes. That's why I bought it.

I use a Zumo. Who needs two arms and legs?

You need multiple waypoints at a minimum, now Zumos come with the software necessary as well. Works great! secure mount, waterproof, Bluetooth, MP3 player.

Last edited by Garandman; 12-29-14 at 09:48 PM.

the best routes are spontaneous decisions, if its no fun, turn onto a different road, if you get lost, then use the GPS

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Stiil like TOMTOM rider 4.3 Motorcycle specific for only $330

routes you around town centers when possible. You see many silos but few traffic lights

tyre software much easier than base campi think it is a skin for google maps
    Note tyre does do garmin as well and its free

I own an Oregon which will accept routes etc. ridiculous for fastish motorcycling

My new favorite is to find a village name NOT on a highway route and have tomtom winding roads feature route me there

MANY MANY fun roads I would have never found myself

I also love to just turn down any road diddle around and when lost interest just push a button and get directed out of there

Last edited by Stromper; 12-30-14 at 07:36 AM.
    The calculus of hate

Map Bike Rides with Elevation Profiles, Analyze Cycling Performance, Train Better. Ride With GPS

I make bike routes with this and upload them to my garmin all the time. Works pretty amazingly with turn by turn and everything. Not sure what motorcycle/vehicle navigation unit this is compatible with, but its worth taking a look at.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 2555 LMT. I have a hacked up Garmin car adapter kit hardwired to the bike for power. I use a RAM cradle and a gross conglomeration of RAM goodies, bits of aluminum bar, and hardware from the junk drawer to mount it. When it rains, I put a sandwich baggie over it and keep riding.

I like the price. Does it have Bluetooth to sync with say a Chatterbox? Does Garmin have something similar to Tom Tom's Winding Road?

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Lifer

No bluetooth

I use Here Maps (here.com - a division of Nokia - I have no affiliation) in combination with their app on my phone. I create waypoints online via their website and save them to my "Collections" (you have to create an account). These saved waypoints get automatically synced with the app on my phone. I usually create a "Collection" of waypoints that then turn into my custom route when put together. Since the app is on my phone, I can use it with the Bluetooth speakers on my helmet. The app even includes offline maps.

Too good to be true? Well, there's a catch, sort of... Currently it's only available on Windows Phone (8.x), which is what I have. I hear that the Here app is coming to Android and iOS sometime in 2015. Maybe it'll be out by the time things start to warm up?

Unrelated, I just wanted to mention that I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for the past couple of months, but wanted to respond to this thread. My reason for checking out the forum is that I may be moving to the Boston area sometime in late 2015 or early 2016 (yeah, I plan far ahead and just wanted to get an idea of what motorcycling is about in New England. I ride an Aprilia Futura, love touring, track days, MotoGP and WSBK. Cheers!

And does it work if you do not have cell service?

TOMTOm rider2 is bluetooth

Graphics bright enough to see so I don't use it

The calculus of hate

I've used a ZUMO 450 for years and their MAPSOURCE Software. (I've tried their BaseCamp app but it handles routes a little differently...haven't quite gotten to a point where I'd use that but probably will someday)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Lifer

Since my 2 year old Garmin E-Trex 20 just bricked up with the latest download, I just downloaded an app called MotionX-GPS to my i-Phone. It only cost 0.99 and it seems to do everything I want.
    Now, I just need to set up a power source on my bikes and ATV's.
    I found out about it here: Cheap Motorcycle GPS - How to Make One Using an iPhone for Under $150 - OutdoorGearLab.com

Last edited by gregp; 12-31-14 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    And does it work if you do not have cell service?
    It does on my Windows Phone - it's a feature of the operating system that allows you to download entire states or countries into your phone to use when there's no cell service (offline maps). It was one reason I switched to Windows Phone (I honestly don't miss the iPhone). I did a little bit of research about the upcoming iPhone app and it wasn't totally clear whether you'll be able to download entire map sets. Might be worth checking out once the app comes out - it'll be free, so nothing lost if you don't like it.

GPS with custom routes.-wp_ss_20141231_0001-jpg

HERE Maps has been available for iOS for some time. It's a pretty clunky app though.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    HERE Maps has been available for iOS for some time. It's a pretty clunky app though.

--mark
    I did read somewhere (can't remember exactly where) that there used to be an iOS version of it, but that it was so shitty that Nokia pulled it - it was basically a web view of their browser-based maps. I wonder if that's the app you had. If you look now, there is no Here Maps app for iOS. The latest I read was that Nokia was going to re-release a completely new version of it for iOS, but I don't have any more details.

It looks like the Android app is out now: https://www.here.com/app/ (and it says it includes offline maps). Also, a blog post that mentions that the iOS app will be out in early 2015: HERE for Android now available for free on Google Play - HERE 360

Bringing this back from the dead.

Got the latest TomTom go for android and it supports importing custom routes via their MyDrive program (PC and MAC). I made a basic test route and it felt clunky. It might be my work computer. Will try it when I get home. You can also load a pre-made GPS route through MyDrive. A really nice feature also is that it supports offline maps, with custom routes. So you don't need cell signal to get navigation.

It also supports Winding Road! Woohooo. I don't have extensive experience with this version of it but it doesn't seem to give you an option of how windy you want it like my past experience.

The free version only gives you 50 miles. It's about $20 a year which I think it's well worth it!

Hope this helps others

IMO markbvt and DucDave have it right here. I've had Zumo units (started with the basic 220 unit, and now with the new bike have a fully integrated Garmin Navigation V - which is killer) for about 6 years now and wouldn't go another route ........ pun intended.

Waterproof, Bluetooth, and BaseCamp software works great. Planning routes, saving them, editing them, adding points of interest, all awesome. The extra money is a no brainer IMO.

I'm sure dedicated units are a better route but $500 entry price is bit steep for me. Just looking for an alternative

tomtom rider 11 4.3 on jet.com for a net $265

The calculus of hate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast