Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

GPS Suggestions?

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Re: GPS Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ćheese View Post
    Lauren,

Lower end GPS units that are used in cars have a maximum of two points (waypoints). Basically you enter your destination and perhaps a restaurant along the way and that's as complex a route as they can store and calculate. If you're on your bike and want to find your way home and add a gas station on the way, they will work fine for this simple task.

If you're looking to enter a 200+ mile route around New England, perhaps avoiding interstates, you're going to need dozens of waypoints to keep you on the good roads and away from the straight toll roads. You'll also want a software package that lets you plan a route on a PC and upload the waypoints to your GPS before you leave. So, route planning and multiple waypoints are what you get for the extra cash.
    So maybe I should just follow you and buy you lunch?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Quote Originally Posted by Femmekat View Post
    I plan routes on my PC and then follow them with old fashioned paper directions in my tankbag. If you want to follow a Zumo you'll have to trail DucDave. My (_!_) is cuter tho ...

Quote Originally Posted by Femmekat View Post

My (_!_) is cuter tho ...

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

If you're looking to enter a 200+ mile route around New England, perhaps avoiding interstates, you're going to need dozens of waypoints to keep you on the good roads and away from the straight toll roads. You'll also want a software package that lets you plan a route on a PC and upload the waypoints to your GPS before you leave. So, route planning and multiple waypoints are what you get for the extra cash.
    +1. As far as I've been able to tell, pretty much all the automotive GPS units under $150 do not allow multi-point routing, which makes them useless for motorcycle use unless the only thing you use it for is to get you back home if you've gotten lost. Above the $150 price point, some of the units seem to support it, others don't.

Also keep in mind that the various automotive GPS units are not waterproof, so if you get caught in the rain the GPS will be toast.

The obvious answer is the Garmin Zumo series, since they're actually intended for motorcycle use, but they're expensive. Also take a look at the Nuvi 550, which along with the Nuvi 500 is the only waterproof unit in the Nuvi lineup (get the 550 instead of the 500 -- they're identical except that the 550 has full North American street maps, while the 500 has US-only street maps and topo maps -- we live close enough to Canada that it's worth having Canadian streets included on your GPS so you don't need to buy them separately if you decide to take a trip up that way).

The other option would be to get a handheld unit like the Garmin Oregon and install Garmin's map software on it. This is the setup I use. The advantage is that it's more rugged, you can install all sorts of different maps, it has way more specialized features (like track-recording and -following, so you can record everywhere you've been, on-road or off-, and follow those tracks again later, or share them with people and follow other people's tracks), and it's a much more flexible GPS that you can use for all sorts of other outdoor activities as well. The screen is smaller than on the Nuvis or Zumos (but it's high-res and displays plenty of detail), and it doesn't speak upcoming directions (but it does display them in text at the top of the screen). Neither of these things bother me in the least -- in fact, I used my dad's Zumo 660 at one point and got really annoyed by its dumbed-down interface and lack of features and flexibility.

But if all you want to do is work out a nice loop for a ride and have the GPS keep you on it, the Nuvi 550 would probably be the best bet. And whichever GPS unit you choose, you can find a RAM mount for it to secure it on your bike.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 03-25-10 at 08:54 AM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

why do you need multi-routing?

and all these waypoints?

the only time i use GPS is to get from point A to point B if i don't know the way. so you just enter where you wanna go and it routes you from where you are.

isn't that it? or am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by scr1be View Post
    isn't that it? or am i missing something?
    The best reason to have a GPS on a bike is to enter a long ride route so you don't have to keep stopping to look at a map.

I guess this is unnecessary if you only ever ride around your immediate area, but if you like to venture out for longer rides over good roads, like nearly all the motorcyclists I know do, then having the ability to work a complex route out on your GPS is really helpful.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    The best reason to have a GPS on a bike is to enter a long ride route so you don't have to keep stopping to look at a map.

I guess this is unnecessary if you only ever ride around your immediate area, but if you like to venture out for longer rides over good roads, like nearly all the motorcyclists I know do, then having the ability to work a complex route out on your GPS is really helpful.

--mark
    ahhh okay i get it. yeah i just commute and ride roads i know. and only time i think i need GPS is to get somewhere i don't know yet.

but yeah, planning routes i guess i never thought of. i just follow people who know the way haha.

Upon looking at the garmin lineup I have to +1 the 550. its 300 retail (you can get one cheaper). Its waterproof and small, 3.5" screen (which is also a con to me). But at least you would not have to worry about it breaking.

ZUMO 450...made for bikers....should be able to find one reasonably. (It's what I have...guarantees at least 1 dirt road per ride!)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I plan routes on my PC and then follow them with old fashioned paper directions in my tankbag. If you want to follow a Zumo you'll have to trail DucDave. My (_!_) is cuter tho ...
    ...really. not much to brag about!

BUT...

I got stopped by a cop the other day for speeding on my way to racketball.

He asked me why I was going so fast. I had no answer.

He went back to the cruiser. Upon his return he actually touched the AMA or IOM sticker on my tailgate. He didnt have a ticket.

But he had a question. "Why were you speeding?"

"I guess I'm just a bad guy?" I replied. (It seemed like a rhetorical question but he was waiting for an answer.)

He pointed to my 'Batman Racing' hat. "Do you race motorcycles?" he asked. "

I used to."

"So, do you like to go fast?"

"Yes. Yes, I guess I do!" I replied

"Well, you have the driving record of an 18 year old." He smiled. Sort of.

So, Cheese may have a cuter ass, but I bet he doesn't have anything close to that of an 18 year old...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post

So, Cheese may have a cuter ass, but I bet he doesn't have anything close to that of an 18 year old...

Yes.... I agree having something capable of multiple waypoints would be ideal. Cheapest sources?

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

GPSCity.com tends to have great prices. They carry all the RAM mounts too.

--mark

I waterproofed my nuvi 205w.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Reconditioned/Refurb Garmin 2610. Waterproof (proof, not resistant). Simple, rugged and discontinued = cheap.
    discontinued was gonna be my suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by ssg View Post
    Actually the 2720's are more easily had nowadays and don't have the screen delam issues of the 26xx's. ..best part is the bike wiring harness includes a headphone jack out. I have a 2720 for my bike and also have both model Zumo's but the 2720 gets used the most.
    on the 2720. its a bit big and bulky but its stood up to some good vibration on the bike handlebar and in the work truck. got mine discontinued and refurbished 3 years ago for $300. bought some RAM mounts and can swap it between car and bike. only problem I have with it is sometimes on truck mode it tries to send me under low bridges (I think its Leonard St in Belmont that comes to mind). not really a problem for cars/bikes but if its in truck mode it shouldn't be sending me under a bridge that's a 10ft clearance, what truck is under 10ft tall? stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    GPSCity.com tends to have great prices. They carry all the RAM mounts too.

--mark
    I think that's where I bought my stuff. good site.

I see more suggestions for Garmin than Tom Tom, in fact I see tom tom referred to as garbage. Coming from an ex tom tom employee...go with a Garmin. I have a tom tom in the cage, only because A. it was free from tom tom as a "gift" and B. I can't afford a Garmin. Yet. and C. when I can afford said Garmin...oh boy that tom tom has a date with a bullet.

You still haven't learned how to fold a map eh?

I'd suggest something meant for riding, IE waterproof. Or make sure you've got something to put it in if ya get rained on.

The tom tom came with a mount, nothing great but I stuck it to the plastic shroud over the front of the tank and used it to get my speed after new chain and sprockets.

I'm not sure about bike specific models but the one I have sucks the battery dry in 30-45 minutes, if that. So you might have to hard wire it instead of relying on a charge.

I would buy a unit on fleabay.. thats where i got mine.. Or amazon.com if you want to buy from a reputable dealer.

I have a Tom Tom GPS I use in the car, and I like it for that purpose. There's nothing wrong with Tom Tom GPS units, it's just that they're purely automotive-focused. The only one they make that's really good for motorcycle use is the Rider 2, and even that is purely a car GPS in a waterproof case. Fine if you just want to go from point A to point B, and the Rider 2 does at least support itinerary planning (Tom Tom's name for multi-point routing), but it doesn't include any of the tracking features or even the basic trip computer found in most Garmin units.

--mark

Ahh but if people knew the real Tom Tom and their over abundance of under intelligence...

Wanna support a company that helped F the economy, is run by complete fucktards, sent tons of jobs to India and fired a crap-ton of American workers, who were in the process of taking the GIS industry to a blinding new level... go with a Tom Tom.

Wanna support a company that gets its data from a different US based company who is hiring American employees and growing...get a Garmin.

There's the biggest difference between Tom Tom and Garmin. And as an ex-employee, the above is fact, not biased ranting. It's truly sad to see what Tom Tom did to the GIS market. They could have been the king of the castle and were well on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    bullet.

You still haven't learned how to fold a map eh?

That was top secret information buddy... now all of NESR knows about my map folding inadeqaucies....

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Why use a GPS? Half the fun of riding a bike is getting lost and just riding.

Stop thinking so hard about riding and just RIDE.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post

I can't recall a time on my bike when I actually set a destination on my GPS. if the road gets boring I'll look down and if I see a road ahead that looks promising then I have time to make the turn. It used to be I'd be riding around and if I came upon another street it would be too late to take the turn after looking down the street. I always just point my bike in a general direction and ride till I feel like turning back. Then the GPS comes in handy to find out which way is back.

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post

I will just close my eyes and be guided by the force...

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I can't recall a time on my bike when I actually set a destination on my GPS. if the road gets boring I'll look down and if I see a road ahead that looks promising then I have time to make the turn. It used to be I'd be riding around and if I came upon another street it would be too late to take the turn after looking down the street. I always just point my bike in a general direction and ride till I feel like turning back. Then the GPS comes in handy to find out which way is back.
    Yeah.... so many roads I always want to take, but being stubborn I won't turn around and go back the same way I came which=more and more lost So a GPS would be awesome to find alternate routes.

LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6

i have researched it and also want to use it for hiking and geocaching

I am looking at the Garmin Oregon 300 and then buying the 1:24K map of the Northeast.

GPS Store need 290 need 4 gig micro sd and then the 24k map but I have seen it on torrent sites so I will try that 1st

Actualy a CAR navigator would be better if you have ZERO other uses

I carry a road GPS and use it to extricate myself when if I am "confused"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast