Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greenie gets a greenie

Greenie gets a greenie

I've been hanging around this forum for more than a year, while in the process trying to buy a bike. I went through three "almosts" last year with newer bikes but finally found what I thought was perfect as a first bike a couple weeks ago.

1995 zx750L3. It's got some rash on the left fairing, 17k miles and small dents where the bar ends went into the frame from what looks like an apparent lowside. The turn signals weren't hooked up (and are kind of a mess in terms of wiring). Though at 2 g's and some change delivered to my house, I couldn't pass it up. Runs perfectly, and that was my main concern.

Registering it tuesday, then bringing it to the kawasaki dealer i discovered 2 miles away from me so they can check out why the turn signals dont work. I can hook up electrical wires but when you don't know which is which because all the colors are different and the turn light doesn't turn on on the gauges, I figure I'll let professionals do it.

Also, I know alot of people might say a 750 isn't the best first bike, but it is 487 lbs, I'm a big guy, took the msf and have ridden dirt for 5 years. It does fly though, I've been bombing around my neighborhood with no plates the past two weeks.

I'm definitely excited though, been waiting forever to get a street bike. Cheers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Greenie gets a greenie

looks like a nice find. Good luck with it

James

Greenie gets a greenie

Just ride safe. I'm sure you'll be fine. Looks like a real nice find for that price, too!

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Greenie gets a greenie

1995 with 17K? Dayum! I think you just bought some poser's bike! Congrats!

Just Registered

Greenie gets a greenie

That's a sweet looking ride man, congrats

Greenie gets a greenie

I've got an L3 also. Well actually it's a frankenbike now. You'll be happy with it. Good power, excellent front end, and maintenance (in particular the valves) is a snap.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Greenie gets a greenie

Welcome to team green

Bras cause cancer.

Greenie gets a greenie

Originally posted by Nikon

Welcome to team green

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Greenie gets a greenie

750 NO

Check out ODFU there is a funeral comming up.

He had his bike 4 DAYS

Buy a 500
    pay your dues
    Ask your friends to take you on some slow rides
    Ride during the day off major routes

I am old and every year there a couple of young bodies,

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Greenie gets a greenie

That bike puts out just over 100hp. It's on par with the power produced by current 600's and weighs 80 lbs. more. He'll be fine as long as he uses his head...but that goes for most anyone.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

First bike?

I read that this is your first bike, please please please do not ride it until you have taken an MSF course. Too many new riders getting killed and just today it hit close to home how powerful bikes are.

Back in the day that 750 was a killer fast machine. Compared to current 600s it might not stack up, but it *is* way fast still and can get you into a heap o' trouble.

Sorry to be ruining your fun, but on ODFU they lost a rider last night who had only 4 days on the bike.

Greenie gets a greenie

Originally posted by Rye
    That bike puts out just over 100hp. It's on par with the power produced by current 600's and weighs 80 lbs. more. He'll be fine as long as he uses his head...but that goes for most anyone.
    I call bullshit on that. Everyone keeps saying "just use your head" but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Just because many people survive on large beginner bikes doesn't mean it is the right way to start. Plus you don't know what you don't know.

Over the past 16 years that I have been around bikes they have gotten more powerful, generally lighter and more capable. And yet the "600" was back then and is still the recommended starting point, where in Europe people would generally think you crazy for having someone start on anything bigger than 500cc.

Your argument is all about power and speed. Mine would be that era superbike is heavy compared to a Ninja 250 or EX500, plus they don't steer well at slow speeds at all. Sure it won't accelerate as hard, but it still will accelerate quickly enough to loft the front wheel. That is truly a capable, and honestly frightening machine. Too late now though.

Do more than "use your head" while on the bike. Instead use your brains and get to a motorcycle training seminar, like MSF.

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Greenie gets a greenie

Originally posted by fprintf
    I call bullshit on that. Everyone keeps saying "just use your head" but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.
    I never took the MSF and my first bike EVER was a 1200 - my current Rex. Using your head is a major part of it. If he's not stupid, does his homework and doesn't act like a douche - he should be fine. I had a total of 6 hours on a bike before I bought mine. Smartest move ever? Hell no but I am still here and some of the guys here may even say that I know what I am doing.

Be safe, ride with safe people and read A LOT. THe more you know the less likey you will be to crash. Be safe and use your head - but not at a pivot point

Bras cause cancer.

Re: First bike?

I read that this is your first bike, please please please do not ride it until you have taken an MSF course. Too many new riders getting killed and just today it hit close to home how powerful bikes are.

Back in the day that 750 was a killer fast machine. Compared to current 600s it might not stack up, but it *is* way fast still and can get you into a heap o' trouble.

Sorry to be ruining your fun, but on ODFU they lost a rider last night who had only 4 days on the bike.
    he did take a msf cource. i think he will be fine if he uses his head and rides smart.

congrats zolden don't know about that white seat and paint. i'd spray it but thats me.

Greenie gets a greenie

I call bullshit on that. Everyone keeps saying "just use your head" but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Just because many people survive on large beginner bikes doesn't mean it is the right way to start. Plus you don't know what you don't know.

Over the past 16 years that I have been around bikes they have gotten more powerful, generally lighter and more capable. And yet the "600" was back then and is still the recommended starting point, where in Europe people would generally think you crazy for having someone start on anything bigger than 500cc.

Your argument is all about power and speed. Mine would be that era superbike is heavy compared to a Ninja 250 or EX500, plus they don't steer well at slow speeds at all. Sure it won't accelerate as hard, but it still will accelerate quickly enough to loft the front wheel. That is truly a capable, and honestly frightening machine. Too late now though.

Do more than "use your head" while on the bike. Instead use your brains and get to a motorcycle training seminar, like MSF.
    I always refuse to get into a discussion on this topic so this post is over with for me...but not before a few words.

as an msf graduate and having been a 750 beginner, the number one issue ANYONE needs to contend with is turning that fucking throttle too much. That kills people...period.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Greenie gets a greenie

I never took the MSF and my first bike EVER was a 1200 - my current Rex. Using your head is a major part of it. If he's not stupid, does his homework and doesn't act like a douche - he should be fine. I had a total of 6 hours on a bike before I bought mine. Smartest move ever? Hell no but I am still here and some of the guys here may even say that I know what I am doing.

Be safe, ride with safe people and read A LOT. THe more you know the less likey you will be to crash. Be safe and use your head - but not at a pivot point
    what happened to the ride on odfu had nothing to do with the bike he was on....

From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Greenie gets a greenie

Everything is control with a bike, I have been taking the tiniest little baby steps with it. For example, the first day I spent feathering the clutch/power walking it to get an idea of take off speed. I don't even want to be on a main street until I'm slightly comfortable controlling it - slow turns even using counterweighting is such a bitch with the beast.

I frequent odfu like I do here and read the entire thread about ghost... it makes me slightly ill, but it's just something else that's going to keep me in check. I may be looked at by a few like a young dumb 19 year old hot head (especially by my buddies with cruisers), but I don't want to die and know to ride in my limits. For the record, I didn't want anything more than an older CBR 600, but the opportunity presented itself and I knew I wouldn't get a bike if I didn't jump on this.

RI required the MSF, I finished last week.

Greenie gets a greenie

Originally posted by bigred875
    what happened to the ride on odfu had nothing to do with the bike he was on....
    I don't know all the details there, but a newbie on a 450-500lb sportbike with tricky steering(like a ZX-7) is going to have a harder time getting through tight corners than a Ninja 250 or 500.

But also, doesn't sound like sheer power was the cause of that crash, just inexperience. Really sucks what happened.

Either way, nice bike, and good luck!

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Greenie gets a greenie

congrats on the bike... i have a love for the 7R.

i've been on vacation so i guess I'd better hop over to ODFU and catch up on

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Greenie gets a greenie

Ok, sorry for jumping in. The ODFU death yesterday just sounded too familiar to the start of this story.

http://forums.onedownfiveup.com/inde...howtopic=41498

After reading that thread I came away thinking the rider probably either did not understand countersteering *or* about braking in a corner, both of which are covered in MSF.

Good luck with your ride. You already have a good start by taking the MSF. That bike is still wicked fast, looks nice too.

Lifer

Greenie gets a greenie

ODFU is for the ODFU site.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Greenie gets a greenie

Ok, sorry for jumping in. The ODFU death yesterday just sounded too familiar to the start of this story.

http://forums.onedownfiveup.com/inde...howtopic=41498

After reading that thread I came away thinking the rider probably either did not understand countersteering *or* about braking in a corner, both of which are covered in MSF.

Good luck with your ride. You already have a good start by taking the MSF. That bike is still wicked fast, looks nice too.
    MSF is mandatory in order to get your permit in RI.....

Greenie gets a greenie

I am tied up for 3 weekends but

Somebody voluteer to take the guy on a training mission..

I assume he will do this before a month passes so I am out

or back to

Black arm band and a spatula

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Greenie gets a greenie

Originally posted by richw
    or back to

Black arm band and a spatula
    Can someone punch this guy in the ear? Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Congrats on the new bike, Zoltran. Keep the shiny side up.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

Greenie gets a greenie

I never took the MSF and my first bike EVER was a 1200 -

Thats cos you resemble the Jolly Green Giant and that thing looks like yer on honda 50 and it's even red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast