Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What are you guys running for steering dampers?

Re: What are you guys running for steering dampers?

gpr came on my 03 zx6r, dunno why people say they are crap, it works great for me and has been on the bike at least 6 years
    i dont have any opinion on the others since no experience with them, however the gpr works great for me

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Scotts on my 03 RR...

Works great, but nothing to compare to.

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

Ohlins linear. Heard good things and it mounts out of the way on my SV.

From brief research, it seems they're easy to rebuild too.

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    oh yeah gsxrs carry theirs under the triple dont they. I forgot about that. Yeah what ever I have I will probably need to make custom mounts for and will probably be mounted tank bolts to triple so either way I will need to pull it.
    I had 2 choices when replacing the electronic damper on my bike, Hyper Pro or GPR. didn't want a rotary and didn't want a hyper pro because they leak. but you can buy the hyper pro brackets without the damper so that's what I did. then I found a used Ohlins in the right stroke length for my bike. the stock ohlins clamp could't work because laying backwards it would hit the tank and laying forward it would hit the hyper pro bracket. So when I bought the damper I made sure to get one with a clamp that made it stand up. its made by Harris.
    really? even after messing with the settings?

Tropicoz I know that racetech offers a revalve and oil swap for the stock ohlins dampers on the new 6rs, and its only like 100 bucks. That may be something to look into.
    Ohlins will also revalve the dampers that come stock on Kawis. they are the same as real Ohlins dampers except the valve has been drilled out to allow for more oil flow thus pretty much negating all its damping affect. it was a legal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The GSXR lower triple has a tab to bolt up the linear damper. So mine is completely out the area. I know the Kawi, Yamaha and Ducati ones mount up top, so it's the same PITA as a too mount rotary.

As far as rebuilding, I've only heard of one used for racing that's been rebuilt. I personally would ship mine out for rebuild, but I bet GMD has and can do it.

I'm also a fan of the adjustable options on the Ohlins linear. My GPR settings went from nothing --> too much.
    The Ohlins have 20 clicks and most of us use setting 12 at the track. I think I use 10 or 11 on the street.
    GMD ships it back to Ohlins. he sent one out for me.

yeah gpr isn't even in the running. They are the same or more expensive than the scotts and i've heard of two many of them blowing seals or leaking not long after owning them. I actually just came across an ohlins from a zx10 on ebay and put a bid in. If I can get it for 100 bucks I can just fab some brackets and be done with it, and when I get a new bike go for the scotts or whatever. Now you just said that they don't ususally get rebuilt but I would assume the oil would need to be changed at some point just like fork oil no?

Eh shit ohlins are presurized, so much for self maintenance oh well. What ever Like I said even If I have to get it rebuilt its like 100 from racetech like i said. Itd still be quite cheap.
    make sure its not the OEM one or you're still gonna have to have it revalved.

here's mine with just the brackets and no damper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What are you guys running for steering dampers?-190957_10150115748704934_614704933_6573495_8189145_o-jpg  

lol ok well i guess that decides it just got an ohlins from an 06 zx10 for 100 shipped. I'll get it and have it revalved and be good to go. Thanks for all the input guys and still by all means keep on chiming in. Pictures of how you have your linear dampers mounted would be sweet two if you don't mind.

Dave, check out hard racing's website.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I went with the Scotts rotary for the track bike. Less likely to get damaged in a crash.

Have Ohlins linear on street bike.

I think it is clear those are the top 2 choices for many.

holy crap I love this site, hard racing, they have everything. And for realy good prices. Ohlins fork rebound and compression valves for stock forks for 250?! I may actually respring my forks after all.

ehh. They don't have an ohlins mount listed for my year...

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 05-26-12 at 05:40 PM.

Oh the dreams Dave,eh? Id love a set of Ohlins forks and BST carbon wheels. Oh my

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Oh dude I was looking thru that website and came a cross the nix30 ohlins forks and brembo mono block calipers and the forged wheels they had... I had to grab a bath towel to mop up all the drool.

Hows the 848 treating you btw? I was seriously considering hocking a kidney for that brutal btw.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 05-26-12 at 07:08 PM.

ok so damper came in today. the shaft looks in good shape no obvious damage to the outside, but internals are toast. It feels like there is either cavitation in there from too little oil or that there is actually little bits in there that are grunging together at random points thru the stroke. Turning the adjustment knob just about locks it up at full tight and makes it very free at full loose so the damping system seems fine, It just feels like its low on oil and maybe needs a new seal or two. Whatever it is it needs some help. Any one know what ohlins turn around time is? Some people on the 6r forum were recomending kyle racing and said turn around time was like 3-5 days. But then again they were talking about straight up revalve not including service.

Loudog where did you find info on rebuilding them?

*edit* just noticed after playing with it for a bit that there is now some slight oil residue on the shaft. har har har. Any who obviously it needs new seals and fresh oil.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 06-02-12 at 11:58 AM.

does it feel crunchy? its air in the oil. Ohlins did mine but I forget how long it took and I sent it through GMD.
    I've bought stuff from Kyle and they're good people. a revalve will include service since they have to take it apart to revalve it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yes, it does feel crunchy it basically feels like my forks did when I serviced them and first started pumping the old oil out of the cartridge. Thats why figured it was cavitation. And thank you for both tips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12