Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New bike lust ramblings...

Everybody to the limit!

Now that the shock of the theft is waning and the insurance wheels are in motion, I'm starting to feel the new (to me) bike lust and lingering over want-ads/ebay in search of something that tickles my fancy. I liked the ZX6 but it always felt topheavy and unwieldy at low speeds to me compared to my EX500, so I start thinking lighter...and while I'm thinking lighter I'm thinking how nice FI would be and my eyes drift over the F4i. Now that seems like a nice bike, and there are lots in the want ads in the 5-6k range, which is a bit more than I'd like to spend but maybe I can find a deal. But I start reading about it, and it starts to sound like a shorter bike for a 6'1" rider (this always bugged me about the zx6) and being a full leathers kinda guy the whole hot seat issue turns me off a bit.

So I think maybe I don't need FI and now the F4's and ZX6R's start to tickle my fancy, they seem a bit cheaper than the 4i, around 5-5500 but I'm thinking that doesn't seem cheap enough to justify the loss of injection, I really like the idea of tuning the mapping using my laptop, I admit it I'm a geek what can you do.

Now I start to check out other bikes with fuel injection that are maybe a bit taller, the CBR929 catches my eye but they're all around 6500 with the low mileage I'd like and that's a good deal more than I can spend right now, plus I start to think what a liter bike will do to my insurance rates, and 85 horsepower was plenty for me before, why the hell do I want a literbike anyway?

So I think, ok I'll split the difference as I spy a 2001 GSXR-750 with 5k miles for 5500 and think, here we go, and I start to poke around. Ergos are reportedly a bit extreme, so I figure I'll see about sitting on one, checking it out...then I glance over the horsepower, christ on a kawasaki 120 rear wheel ponies?!?! At 365 pounds it's nearly 60 pounds lighter than my zx6 with almost 40 more horsies, that just scares the hell out of me. Am I off the mark here? I'm just scared I wouldn't be able to handle that kind of power to weight, to the point I'm nervous about even testriding a machine with that kind of get up and go.

Now I'm aiming lower and poking around at the SV650S, I know everyone and there mother is in love with this bike and the price is certainly attractive but...Shit, I'll admit it, it sounds goddamn posery but the half-faired look just doesn't do it for me at all, I know it's vanity but if I'm going to drop 5 large on a bike and plan on hanging on to it for a while, it's gonna be the kind of bike that I wake up in the morning, take the cover off it and just stare at it for a while engaged with it's plasticy goodness. The CBRS and ZXR's do that for me, the gixxer's to a certain extent, but the SV-S just isn't *me*, and so I resign myself to my poserboy fate and start highlighting the F4i's, ZX6rs, and F4's that are local to me, intending on checking a few out.

While I'm doing this, a particularly good deal on a 99 VFR800 catches my eye, and I think maybe a little pork around the edges wouldn't be a bad thing, maybe this bike is better balanced than my old ZX and will feel lighter under legs at low speed? The fuel injection has me intrigued, but I read that the early VFR's are kinda twitchy on the throttle compared to their F4i brethren, so I'm back to the F4i as my main contender, butt-warmer and all. Wish I could find a TT to try out, I've heard those triples are nice and smooth but there ain't any to be found and I've heard bad things long wait times for triumph parts and their price points are higher than I think they should be for a 600, plus could I deal with the insults of being a limeyrider? Probably, but they don't seem to exist in my price range so it's pretty much moot...

Then there's the old R6/YZF, the R6 seems pretty pricey for a non-FI bike, the YZF though...ahh but it's not really the step up from the ZX6E that I'd like it to be, and it still seems heavy, plus there don't seem to be as many around to check out, but I betcha my girlfriend would appreciate the seat on those, she's not gonna like the little asspads that come on the modern sportbikes I'm looking at. <sigh> too many bikes, no perfect choice.

So you see, I started my search out looking for the perfect F4i, and managed to narrow it down to an F4i, or a ZX6r, or an F4, or maybe a YZF, how about a R6, ooh those 929s are nice, what about a VFR, ooh scary Gixxer 7, what about a TT or maybe I could be happy with the SV-650S...It's gonna take me all year to check out all those bikes, so if you've been patient enought to read through this far of my mindless babble, what I'm looking for is some help, to maybe narrow my search down to 3 or 4 bikes that really "fit my bill", any suggestions or warnings about any of the above bikes would be helpful, and if you know of a good deal on one (I'm afraid I won't be seeing much in the way of $$$ from the insurance co, especially after they chunk out my deductible, bastards) send me a PM, I'll buy ya a

(Damn that's a long ass post, I type too fast for my own good)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just to clear something up, the Triumph TT, last time I checked, was a 4 banger....

or so I was led to beleive.....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I honestly think that the search is sometimes more fun than finally getting one bike. It's cool to consider all of the possibilities, imagining the fun you'd have with each one.

As the Deep Purple song goes... "It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase".

I'll have my bike back next week if you want to try it out. It will be for sale in the near future!!!!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Oh, it's a bit of a step up from stock btw!

Full Hindle Exhaust system
    K&N Air intake system
    Barlett Racing Clutch
    48 tooth rear sprocket (2 up in rear)
    Dynojet - Jet Kit
    Custom Paint job
    Metzler M1 Sneakers!

The last Dyno was 2 years ago, Rear wheel HP was @ 102?
    I got an 11.6 sec 112mph 1/4 mile on an stationary electronic dyno drag machine @ Weirs beach.
    I will have to get up to Epping and really test it soon!

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by Half Squid
    I'll have my bike back next week if you want to try it out. It will be for sale in the near future!!!!
    Yeah, like I'm gonna buy a bike from a dude who calls himself Half Squid

Seriously though, if you're really gonna be selling the bike, PM me with the details. Framingham's a bit out of my way, but for the right bike at the right price, I could be coerced into travelling...

YZF is sitting at the #2 spot of bikes I'd like to check out, right under the F4i. The CBR's definitely more tech heavy, but I'm seeing some real good deals on YZF's perusing Ebay a little...

Dont let the name fool ya!

Maybe I'll make a trip up your way for shits and giggles one day and let you jont around on it for a bit. Just so you can get a feel for one. Very comfortable with plenty of power to play in the corners. I enjoy the bike very much.
    I am tempted to keep it for long rides to VT, Just need to convince myself I need a second bike.. I really do not.... ? So it may or may not be available.
    You'll probably find a better deal on E-bay or the want ad, I have invested too much to make a good deal on this, I will loose my shirt when I do sell, but I am going to throw a price out there, If it sells Great! If not I have a second toy!!
    First thing is to get the new bike! Not sure how soon that is going to happen...

My cousin may be selling his 2000 - R6 soon, whats your feel on those? Now thats a Squid looking bike, but very well ridin. It has all the flashy aftermarket stuff like undertail, swingarm mounted licence plate mount, flush mount directionals, D&D exhaust, jet kit, custom painted white rims. Second look seat cover/tank bra.

www.tailofthedragon.com

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

A 2001 GSXR 750 has a nice power delivery. It's like a very potent 600 down low and a literbike on top. You need to rev it to get the 120+ RWHP so as long as you keep the revs down, it does not overwhelm you with thrust. The ergos are a bit extreme but some people I know, (tall ones at a that) think they have perfect ergos. I would not normally recommend a bike like that to someone with your experience but I've ridden with you and know you have the maturity to show restraint. Don't discount the bike based on RWHP and ergos.

I do not know anyone that regrets buying a VFR. Great bike.

Everybody to the limit!

Thanks for the advice, I've been poking around the web about the GSXR and I see what you're saying, that last 40 horses don't seem to click in until above 10k, so it's just a matter of staying below 9. Still don't really need all that power, or the insurance premiums that come with it, but I've made an appointment with the seller to check it out anyway, just because...well, checking out bikes is fun. And I want to see how the difference between a 6.4 inch bar rise (ZX6E) and a 1.5 inch bar rise (GSXR) feels to me; I've got a feeling that along will keep me from ever being happy on a gixxer, but we'll see.

I'm hoping to be able to check out the VFR too, the seller emailed me but hasn't returned my calls, too bad because that one's just over in windham. The only thing at all that turns me off about it is the weight, 465 pounds dry is a lot of heft, but I'm hoping it might carry it a little more evenly than the Ninja. From what I read, part of the ZX6's problem is it's low seat height, I was just about straddling the center of gravity and that might have contributed to the feelings of being topheavy. Dunno, never been on anything other than my EX500 and ZX6, time to expand my worldview a bit while I'm waiting for the insurance $$$....

From what I read, part of the ZX6's problem is it's low seat height, I was just about straddling the center of gravity and that might have contributed to the feelings of being topheavy. Dunno, never been on anything other than my EX500 and ZX6, time to expand my worldview a bit while I'm waiting for the insurance $$$....
    Try a concours. Nothing else will ever feel top heavy again.

You get used to the low bars of a sposrtier bike. Just be sure to keep your arms loose and it'll be just fine.

Everybody to the limit!

Well I test-rode the GSXR-750 today, definitely not the bike for me. Now I understand why modern sportbikes always seem to have clear windshieds; the only way I could see the tach/speedo was looking down through the gixxer's shield. Beyond that it just felt strange, the seat felt slanted down, shoving me up against the tank. The clutch was heavy and the brakes felt wooden and unresponsive, maybe they just needed to be warmed up but the bike just didn't click with me. Had plenty of power and the lightness was nice, but I don't need all that power just sitting up there raising my insurance premiums when I sure as hell don't have the skill to need it. Thanked the owner and was on my way, that's it for me and Gixxers.

I'm checking out a 98 zx6r tomorrow. I've got a feeling the bike is gonna click more. Hoping it will be everything my ZX6e was, just lighter and a few more ponies. I know I'm not gonna see 6 inches of bar rise either, but hopefully the zx6r's rise will feel a bit more to my liking. I think it will be, got a feeling the biggest question I'll need to ask myself is "can I live with the green and purple kawasaki racing colors?"

Everybody to the limit!

The answer, for those who were wondering, is yes...yes I can.

Pictures to follow early this week

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    The answer, for those who were wondering, is yes...yes I can.

Pictures to follow early this week
    Nice! Lets ride!!!
    NH routes next weekend anyone???
    Starting from MM and heading North on Rt_ _ then west on Rt _ _
    and so on!

Seriously I think a NH ride next weekend is in order. Maybe pick out some route over to VT.

www.tailofthedragon.com

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Stop by the races too.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Originally posted by PinHead
    Stop by the races too.
    Oh yeah!
    Ok ride to the track leaving Saturday from MotoMarket.
    Details to follow in Ride & Event forum. Let me just make sure I will have my 2 wheel toy! I should have it no later than Wednesday. Other wise I;ll be caging it.

www.tailofthedragon.com

Everybody to the limit!

Excellent plan, MS. If all goes well and weather cooperates, I should have the bike tomorrow evening, certainly by this weekend. Never been to the races, always wanted to check them out. PM me with what route you'll be taking up from MA and we can figure out a good point to meet.

Hopefully the YZF will be back in top form, if not I have an '87 EX500 parked in my driveway calling your name

You got the 6R eh? Good for you. Another lunch ride is a must. Lemme know when you can make it.

I used to have a '98 ZX6R. It was a great bike, until it was stolen (5/00 ). There was a large performance difference between my bike and my friend's garden variety ZX6.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

Guess it's too late to tell ya about the 2001 F4i I just saw down the road from my shop for $4500...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by Stoneman
    Guess it's too late to tell ya about the 2001 F4i I just saw down the road from my shop for $4500...
    Damn that's a nice price, if you post the details I'm sure someone around here would be interested.

Sure it's not the F4? That seems too low for a 4i...

Damn that's a nice price, if you post the details I'm sure someone around here would be interested.

Those are all the details I know. I think it's some kid hurting for cake. The bike's been sitting in the parking lot of a small apartment building for some time (occasionally covered). The thing hardly ever moved!

I'm certain it's the 'i'...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    You got the 6R eh? Good for you. Another lunch ride is a must. Lemme know when you can make it.
    Absolutely, if all goes well I should have the bike early this week, we should definitely get together for a ride. Sounds like there may be a trip up to the races this weekend brewing, but I'm guessing you'll be up at the lake with your family? If not, you should consider joining up with us...

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by Stoneman
    Those are all the details I know. I think it's some kid hurting for cake. The bike's been sitting in the parking lot of a small apartment building for some time (occasionally covered). The thing hardly ever moved!

I'm certain it's the 'i'...
    lalalalala I can't hear you

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

[i]Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Yeah, like I'm gonna buy a bike from a dude who calls himself Half Squid

]
    I can vouch for Half Squid...Mike's one righteous guy. (well...at least he buys good beer...)

-scootertrash

Everybody to the limit!

...Unless it's been dropped, scraped, ripped, and left to rot so much that it looks like a train rolled over it. Amazing. Can't even believe someone could make a 3 year old bike look 15 years old. Checked it out during the rainstorm we've been having, of course no cover.

You could probably make the bike *look* new for about a grand. Needs upper, both sides. As for the rest, I dunno. The passenger seat is ripped, driver's seat is loose (bent frame?). Scratched up engine covers. Probably more damage I didn't see, the bike made me queasy and I had to leave.

Poor honda engineers spend all that time getting the fit and finish of the bike pefect, and some dipshit decides to see how long it would take him to undo all that. It's such a crime, it's like encountering a beaten pet, you want to call the cops on the bastard, but what can you do about an abused sportbike?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast